Looks like Bettman got his wish; albeit differently...

bunnyman666

Wayne Gretzky was great.  But a ton of his goals would be stopped by the average beer leaguer these days.  He skates in and takes a hard shot with nobody in front of him.  (I'm probably exaggerating about the average beer leaguer, but you get the point).  There's no east-west movement.  It's embarrassing how many goals the standup guys gave up.  If that worked, they'd still be teaching it.  I agree that the better goalies realize that butterfly is a tool, not a style, but I'd rather watch goalies stop shots than look at the old footage and go "how the hell did that get by that sieve?"  

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am certain if people who saw the original versions of martial arts and would compare the current versions of martial arts and call it robotic. Wrestling (not WWE-style) is EXTREMELY robotic. 

The current style of tending has been refined over time and is taught pretty well universally. It’s that simple. 

Right. There are definitely some goalies who are so robotic to the point to where they don’t really have that ‘edge’ to them. I’m definitely not like that. 

BTW, I know a lot of guys on here are big fans of Gibson, probably cause of his athleticism and the amazing saves he makes, and there’s no doubt he was left out to try by his teammates, but there’s a lot of goals I’ve seen go in that really shouldn’t have, he tends to go in the rvh early, and I’ve seen a few goals go in off of screens where he really didn’t bother looking around to see where the puck is. To me that’s pretty lazy.

I’m not really a fan of him as a goaltender, he just comes across as lazy sometimes, and relies way too much on his athleticism I feel like. 

you could make the argument that his defense was so bad that he had to resort to those situations, and that’s not what I’m talking about, as I mentioned above. 

Archived