Ice Dragons mask by Head Strong Grafx

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@seagoal dude you're blind bro lol.  There is definitely damage to the composite there.  

Maybe I am .  

Are you talking about the white part or the woven fiberglassy dark part? It's not dented and there's no holes.  It doesn't look cracked.  Are you talking about the white streaks in the dark part?

I have an old Bauer helmet I can use in the meantime before my new one, so I'm not being stubborn.  Just genuinely curious.  

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Maybe I am .  

Are you talking about the white part or the woven fiberglassy dark part? It's not dented and there's no holes.  It doesn't look cracked.  Are you talking about the white streaks in the dark part?

I have an old Bauer helmet I can use in the meantime before my new one, so I'm not being stubborn.  Just genuinely curious.  

Can you stick your finger in it?

24 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Maybe I am .  

This shit

yoshitisbrokebruh.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This shit

yoshitisbrokebruh.jpg

I see.  

So given that white fibery stuff showing and given that this damage as squarely on top of the raised crest, do you think that it's unsafe to wear? Would the danger only include getting hit with a puck in the exact same spot only, or, do you think there is a greater danger?

6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

If you have another mask I wouldn't chance it.  If it was me and I didn't have a backup mask until the new one came I would probably chance it since its a bit higher on the crown instead of right flat on the forehead.

I've seen guys show up to games in buckets that have zero place even leaving the house.

I don't think this would be too large of an issue for a short time.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've seen guys show up to games in buckets that have zero place even leaving the house.

I don't think this would be too large of an issue for a short time.

Oh yea I have seen plenty of masks that made me cringe.  But I'm sure that was those guys' only mask.  If @seagoal has a capable backup until the new mask arrives then why chance it.

Seems @SaveByRichter35 and @coopaloop1234 are seeing the same things I thought I was seeing. I realize you did the coin test and the like but honestly particularly with the paint covering things - you can't really tell how extensive the damage/delamination/cracking might be. Shell is compromised and if you have an in working order Plan B - use it like others have said. Sure the crown of your head isn’t usually going to be a point of impact but the fact that it’s atop of the ridge/crown on what should be the most rigid part of your shell should be concerning. I stick by - if it were me - I’d retire it. If you want to keep using it - have someone knowledgeable either fix it or walk you through the fix. No point in taking chances with your melon. Good luck with things. If you do end up having somebody look at it/fix it - let us know how it shakes down. 

Edited by chile57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alright guys.

@chile57 @MangoRhinehart @SaveByRichter35 @coopaloop1234

You guys are the best, thanks.  I appreciate your input.  

Here is my plan for the short time, 3 or 4 skates, before my new helmet is ready.

20210921_174555.thumb.jpg.f16fd3aac7b2e19b0c432b0c8d99715a.jpg

20210921_174534.thumb.jpg.6d65de27262bc58b66ef9649142743bc.jpg

I was always too lazy to try to get rid of this Bauer I've had laying around and I also find selling/buying used helmets sketchy (just me?).  So I had to throw some harness clips and a dangler on it but it's good to go.  It's a little heavy but goddamnit, I sorta forgot how comfortable Bauer helmets are.  

Anyway, to the top of my bookshelves goes the Ice Dragon Sportmask.  

Thanks boys. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Sad to see that beauty retire. 

May be worth while to send a few pictures to Kustom Composites to get a more expert opinion.

For sure.  Just didn't have time today.   Tomorrow I might send pics directly to Sportmask too and see what they say.

• Like 1