Manufacturer's Catalogues from the 80's

Naz

I recently posted these photos on a Facebook Vintage Goalie Equipment page.  It is part of my collection of gear catalogues from the 80's.  For you older farts, a feeling of nostalgia.  For the younger members, a little history lesson in the development of equipment (especially c/a) as there are items from Brown and Vaughn.  Enjoy!

I freaking love this! Brown invented putting trims on the top of the goal pad. Glenn Miller calls calf and knee landing areas (at the time were “protectors”), ILP. The prices! Of course if you really think about it and use a simple rate of inflation, in some ways pads and gloves were more expensive back then than now. Goal is an expensive position, but it was STOOPID expensive back then! Brown pads were $600 back in the ‘80s- that would be crazy expensive now!!!!

Please @Naz share all that you have!!!! This is awesome!!! Thank you!!!! 

6 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I freaking love this! Brown invented putting trims on the top of the goal pad. Glenn Miller calls calf and knee landing areas (at the time were “protectors”), ILP. The prices! Of course if you really think about it and use a simple rate of inflation, in some ways pads and gloves were more expensive back then than now. Goal is an expensive position, but it was STOOPID expensive back then! Brown pads were $600 back in the ‘80s- that would be crazy expensive now!!!!

Please @Naz share all that you have!!!! This is awesome!!! Thank you!!!! 

Glad you enjoyed it @bunnyman666 !  Yes, they were STOOOOOPID expensive... BUT.... some of those pads are STILL stopping pucks today... do you think a set of CCM EFlex or Warriors will still be stopping pucks 35 years later?  Equipment then was built to last.

10 minutes ago, Naz said:

Glad you enjoyed it @bunnyman666 !  Yes, they were STOOOOOPID expensive... BUT.... some of those pads are STILL stopping pucks today... do you think a set of CCM EFlex or Warriors will still be stopping pucks 35 years later?  Equipment then was built to last.

The last question: ABSOLUTELY NOT. 

Between the construction and the materials, modern pads would not last 35 plus years! 

I am actually on the hunt for a pair of kelly green Cooper pads! Yes- I love the way green looks on an old set of Coopers! Call me crazy! 

@Naz - while I never wore any of this, I certainly remember being awed by it as a kid... WAVES of sweet, sweet nostalgia - which I guess puts me in the older fart category. Sigh... LOL!

That Richard Sevigny pic from the Canadien catalogue is magic. Hard to believe you could look that slick, and colour-coordinated in 1983! Doesn’t seem like he wore that set up much though; found one or two other pics, but that’s it.

C6BBE9EC-BF8C-4746-A84C-4CAD66C95830.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

@Naz - while I never wore any of this, I certainly remember being awed by it as a kid... WAVES of sweet, sweet nostalgia - which I guess puts me in the older fart category. Sigh... LOL!

That Richard Sevigny pic from the Canadien catalogue is magic. Hard to believe you could look that slick, and colour-coordinated in 1983! Doesn’t seem like he wore that set up much though; found one or two other pics, but that’s it.

C6BBE9EC-BF8C-4746-A84C-4CAD66C95830.jpeg

Loved the old Canadien gear! Loved their sticks! I miss Canadien.

Archived