CCM Premier Pro or Warrior VR1+?

cstoddard35

i’ve been using a CCM Premier 2.5 stick for a little while now and i’ve also used a Warrior CR1 before that, which sadly broken. i was wondering if you’ve gotten a chance to test out both the Premier Pro and the VR1+ sticks to get another opinion on which way i should go.

10 minutes ago, cstoddard35 said:

i’ve been using a CCM Premier 2.5 stick for a little while now and i’ve also used a Warrior CR1 before that, which sadly broken. i was wondering if you’ve gotten a chance to test out both the Premier Pro and the VR1+ sticks to get another opinion on which way i should go.

I’ve used CR1, V1 +, Premier 2, and EF4

V1 is a huge upgrade over CR1. Its much lighter, the balance is better, and I like the updated grip 

P2 is the stick I’ve used the most over the last year and I think I like EF4 better. It’s got more flex for shooting, is lighter, and has unreal balance 

These two guys have nailed it!   If you're between the P2 stick and the V1 Pro+ go with the Warrior.  It's better than the P2 in terms of balance and weighs significantly less.  If you're willing to consider another option the EF4 is better than it's P2 stablemate in every way that you can tell by examining it on a store shelf.  It's lighter, better looking (subjective, I know) and is a phenomenal value at $199.  My only concern is how durable it will be, as that's been an issue with some of the CCM composite sticks in the past according to customers.   I have no personal experience with CCM sticks previously, but do have a 3 pack of EF4's coming so I'll provide feedback when they arrive.

12 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

These two guys have nailed it!   If you're between the P2 stick and the V1 Pro+ go with the Warrior.  It's better than the P2 in terms of balance and weighs significantly less.  If you're willing to consider another option the EF4 is better than it's P2 stablemate in every way that you can tell by examining it on a store shelf.  It's lighter, better looking (subjective, I know) and is a phenomenal value at $199.  My only concern is how durable it will be, as that's been an issue with some of the CCM composite sticks in the past according to customers.   I have no personal experience with CCM sticks previously, but do have a 3 pack of EF4's coming so I'll provide feedback when they arrive.

Good point, factoring price, EF4 is $89USD cheaper than V1+ and that makes it a crazy value.

They (EF4 sticks) just hit the shelves Friday.  I stopped in to get my skates sharpened last night and over half of the ones we got in were gone already, along with ALL of the V1+ sticks (we only got 3 of those, so not quite as impressive).  From a retail perspective, these two launches are going to make it very difficult to move old stock of CCM composites and foam cores of any brand.  I'll be very interested to see how the new Bauer 2X stacks up against these, as I doubt the 2S Pro will be a big seller now that CCM and Warrior have closed the weight gap.

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

At $199 we make the V1 Pro as well.  Which is what most goalies are familiar with being the CR1.  If you loved the CR1 weight, performance, durability, price etc.. It's a great option to go for the V1 Pro.

I picked up a V1 Pro+ when I got my skates this weekend, and the first thing I noticed was how light it was; the pro stock CCM foam cores (Mike Smith pro returns) that I'd been using felt like lead in comparison.

I used it for the first time last night and it definitely makes a difference in how quickly you can get your blocker up. I didn't have any vibration issues with it, and the feel of pucks coming off it wasn't too different from the foam core sticks I've used forever. I am a composite convert now.

44 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

At $199 we make the V1 Pro as well.  Which is what most goalies are familiar with being the CR1.  If you loved the CR1 weight, performance, durability, price etc.. It's a great option to go for the V1 Pro.

No argument that the V1 Pro/CR1 is a great twig.  My CR1 has been absolutely bombproof and is still my go-to while my league is between sessions (don't want to ding up those 3 pretty new V1 Pro+ that are sitting in my rack until the season starts).  

TBH, I assumed there was a reason the V1 Pro+ was pricier than the EF4 but didn't want to speculate on what that might be until I'd heard some feedback from customers and tried both head to head. 

Weight is absolutely NOT the end all be all when it comes to sticks.

There is a major reality when something is made too light, it can effect the durability of the product. Obviously, material advancements make this threshold and balancing act a moving target. Aside from durability, there's other things like rebounds, shooting stiffness, and vibration control that should factor in a choice.

My goal is always to be neutral and just share my personal opinions as any other poster would. My other goal is never to "sell" anyone a product, but rather present my opinions and facts to help people understand what is available and why. The only exception to this might be Monster products!

My point earlier about value was mainly tied to the weight of the EF4. EF4 is probably the lightest $200 stick on the market. If you are happy with what you had with CR1, I would echo Kirk's thoughts about the V1 (not +) being a good option for you.

V1 Pro+ - 659G - $289 USD - Lightest stick on market with a traditional paddle!

02A6F833-8390-47EF-B9EA-EAAFBBDC30A6.thumb.jpeg.716357a3672660a5cfc73467f9bf640f.jpeg

EF4 - 681G - $199 USD

67A55944-45A3-457E-8E58-F80188C90C12.thumb.jpeg.a73eeaa6ca119be4fc7d4ccac7cedb4d.jpeg

P2 - 715G - $199 - Note this stick has a knob, that's why the scale does not match the posted weight

image.png.679089754f599b1000b4d32a95f32923.png

CR1 (similar price and specs to V1 Pro (not + )) - 745G - $199 - Note this stick has a knob, that's why the scale does not match the posted weight

image.png.2cc7a4f35a76c71fb433148815fe1a2f.png

@TheGoalNet, what paddle length are you measuring?   My 27.5" V1 Pro + sticks weighed in at 667g, which could easily be within the variance of my cheap kitchen scale or could be explained if you use a 26" paddle.  Not trying to call you out or anything, I'm just curious about the difference.  

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

@TheGoalNet, what paddle length are you measuring?   My 27.5" V1 Pro + sticks weighed in at 667g, which could easily be within the variance of my cheap kitchen scale or could be explained if you use a 26" paddle.  Not trying to call you out or anything, I'm just curious about the difference.  

Mine is a 26" quick. So 8G lighter is reasonable because of less paddle mass? But I am with you, being that this is a cheap kitchen scale just as a point of reference, there could be some variance.

6 hours ago, Teezle said:

I picked up a V1 Pro+ when I got my skates this weekend, and the first thing I noticed was how light it was; the pro stock CCM foam cores (Mike Smith pro returns) that I'd been using felt like lead in comparison.

I used it for the first time last night and it definitely makes a difference in how quickly you can get your blocker up. I didn't have any vibration issues with it, and the feel of pucks coming off it wasn't too different from the foam core sticks I've used forever. I am a composite convert now.

Two reasons you should keep using those heavy foam core sticks as your warm up sticks.

1. Extend the life of your composite game sticks.  Lots of repeated unimpeded slap shots can accelerate the wear and tear of those expensive composite sticks.
  2. Similar to a batter on deck swinging his bat with a donut, it'll make the composite stick you use in game feel even that much lighter.

41 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

These new Warriors are EXPENSIVE!

It’s all relative... Warrior V1+ stick competes with 2S Pro on weight and might be more durable, so why shouldn’t it be at the same price point?

V1 Pro ( not + ) maintains the $200 price point and is very similar to a CR1, so it’s not as if they got “more expensive”. Warrior now has a more premium offering that wasn’t previously available. If you liked CR1 and your budget is $200. You have an offering 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

It’s all relative... Warrior V1+ stick competes with 2S Pro on weight and might be more durable, so why shouldn’t it be at the same price point?

V1 Pro ( not + ) maintains the $200 price point and is very similar to a CR1, so it’s not as if they got “more expensive”. Warrior now has a more premium offering that wasn’t previously available. If you liked CR1 and your budget is $200. You have an offering 

Not only that, but the durability on my CR1 has been the best I've ever seen.  If the Pro+ even comes close to the CR1 in terms of performance and durability over the long haul it's absolutely worth the price premium for the lighter weight.

9 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

I love my CR1.  Does the V1 Pro improve on the CR1 at all?  Obviously I know it will not to the extent that the V1 Pro+ improves on the CR1. Is it basically a CR1 with this years graphic?

I was just at Pro Hockey Life here in Canada and saw the V1 Pro and Pro+. 

The + is $349 here, $20 more than the 2S Pro even. 

I was tempted to get 2 V1 Pro+ as they have a buy one get one 50% off right now but since I have 2 CR1s that still are in great shape, I'll wait until those break. 

Yes the Pro did feel similar to my CR1 just holding it and weight wise. 

The + was great, nice and light. I'll for sure try those after my CR1s break. 

I also held the 2S Pro in my hand and it felt flimsy compared to the +. The + is very light but still feels very solid in my hand. 

So good that I was very tempted to buy 2 at the sale price even though I don't need sticks right now. I think Warrior has another winner. 

1 hour ago, 1C5 said:

I was just at Pro Hockey Life here in Canada and saw the V1 Pro and Pro+. 

The + is $349 here, $20 more than the 2S Pro even. 

I was tempted to get 2 V1 Pro+ as they have a buy one get one 50% off right now but since I have 2 CR1s that still are in great shape, I'll wait until those break. 

Yes the Pro did feel similar to my CR1 just holding it and weight wise. 

The + was great, nice and light. I'll for sure try those after my CR1s break. 

I also held the 2S Pro in my hand and it felt flimsy compared to the +. The + is very light but still feels very solid in my hand. 

So good that I was very tempted to buy 2 at the sale price even though I don't need sticks right now. I think Warrior has another winner. 

Exactly $349 plus tax that's $395 almost $400 for a stick is insane! If you convert it to US dollars that's $293US...I'll stick to my p2 or eflex4, that's alot of money to experience with. 

16 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I love my CR1.  Does the V1 Pro improve on the CR1 at all?  Obviously I know it will not to the extent that the V1 Pro+ improves on the CR1. Is it basically a CR1 with this years graphic?

It's essentially the same. The grip is slightly different but holding both the V1pro and the CR1 in each hand felt identical.

14 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Exactly $349 plus tax that's $395 almost $400 for a stick is insane! If you convert it to US dollars that's $293US...I'll stick to my p2 or eflex4, that's alot of money to experience with. 

I won't disagree with you on the price being up there, but it's about in line with the 2s pro, so take it as you will.

The V1pro and 2s are both fantastic sticks that are in the same price range as the P2/eflex, so it's not too far of a stretch to try those sticks out if price is the sole barrier for you.

@coopaloop1234 the price between those sticks are $150 here in Canada, that's a WIDE difference, not even close in range.  Plus from reading reviews the durability of the 2s wasn't great at all.  I'm not sure how the Warrior stick is, the durability etc. but if they are trying to complete with the big fishes I would think an adjustment in price would have been better. 

But to each his own I guess.

12 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@coopaloop1234 the price between those sticks are $150 here in Canada, that's a WIDE difference, not even close in range.  Plus from reading reviews the durability of the 2s wasn't great at all.  I'm not sure how the Warrior stick is, the durability etc. but if they are trying to complete with the big fishes I would think an adjustment in price would have been better. 

But to each his own I guess.

I'm aware of the price difference between the V1pro+/2sPro and the V1 Pro/2s. And i'm about as price averse as you are. I wouldn't pay the large price point for those sticks either.

I'm just saying that Warrior is trying to market the pro+ as the same as the 2sPro as being the leading edge tech sticks and that they're not alone in their price point. But, the V1pro and 2S are at the same price point as the EF4/P2 sticks and are great for trying them out as they're the same price.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:05 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Why does everyone keep saying (not +)

Archived