WTF is up with the STL Blues using the song “Gloria” for a winning game celebration song?!?

bunnyman666

Umberto Tozzi originally recorded this song in 1979. Since I have no grasp on Italian language, I have no bloody clue what this song is originally about. Why I say that is because Laura Branigan covered this song in 1982 with changed lyrics, higher key, and increased tempo. Carola Haggkvist also covered this tune in ‘83, and the only video that came up when searching was a live version where it is in an even higher key with a tempo that could give a mouse a heart attack! She also looks like a total MILF onstage! She looks like she’s wearing an outfit one would wear to church or to the office with a mum haircut...

Laura Branigan’s lyrics are basically about a woman who thinks a guy is obsessed with her on the brink of mental illness. Her mental illness, not his. “All the voices in your head...”, yep- a bit of schizophrenia, me thinks...

I love my Blues, and I suppose if playing this song after every victory has been working, I will go along with it. A local radio station promises to play the Laura Branigan version 24 hours straight if the Blues get into the Western Conference Finals. I may make a suggestion to change it up and play Umberto or Carola’s version along with the Laura version...

What odd traditions do your teams use in celebrating victories? Please don’t mention the Hurricanes celebrations as we already know about that one, and I don’t want this to turn into a thread bashing Carolina’s post win celebrations. 

I actually heard this story on Spittin Chiclets podcast. I’ll do the best I can to remember. The team went out to a private club when they were in Philly and the Eagles game was on. Apparently in this bar the tradition is when the Eagles win they play “Gloria”. The team was having a good time and the Eagles ended up winning so someone in the bar stood up and yelled “Play Gloria!”. Song came on and everyone started singing. That’s when the Blues started winning and turned their season around so they started using the song too. 

28 minutes ago, Matt35 said:

I actually heard this story on Spittin Chiclets podcast. I’ll do the best I can to remember. The team went out to a private club when they were in Philly and the Eagles game was on. Apparently in this bar the tradition is when the Eagles win they play “Gloria”. The team was having a good time and the Eagles ended up winning so someone in the bar stood up and yelled “Play Gloria!”. Song came on and everyone started singing. That’s when the Blues started winning and turned their season around so they started using the song too. 

That would make sense. Thank you.

This year the Leafs have been using Hall and Oates You make my dreams for their goal song and Right back where we started from by Maxine Nightingale as their victory song (that's been since 2017ish I think) 

I wonder how much is influence from vets and management and how much is "that songs so old and retro!" from all the kids on the roster. Love it either way

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

This year the Leafs have been using Hall and Oates You make my dreams for their goal song and Right back where we started from by Maxine Nightingale as their victory song (that's been since 2017ish I think) 

I wonder how much is influence from vets and management and how much is "that songs so old and retro!" from all the kids on the roster. Love it either way

My guess is the latter. Craig Berube was probably still in high school when “Gloria” was released in North America. 

On 5/1/2019 at 7:58 AM, bunnyman666 said:

What odd traditions do your teams use in celebrating victories?

One of my teams used to play this weird ass Le Tigre song in the locker room after wins and dance like idiots.

EDIT: would help if I linked the song. 

rd

47 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

One of my teams used to play this weird ass Le Tigre song in the locker room after wins and dance like idiots.

EDIT: would help if I linked the song. 

rd

That is a weird song!

Perfect for a quirky post victory ritual!

2 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

As someone of Italian heritage, I'v hearing this song for almost 30 years (mostly at weddings).

It's odd to hear at a hockey game.

The Umberto Tozzi version or Laura Branigan? Because the “Will you marry for the money?/ Or take a lover in the afternoon?” lyric would not be great at a wedding. Of course whilst playing at a wedding, my band had Paul Simon’s “50 ways to leave your lover” on the playlist at the Father of the bride’s request, which is odd.

• 3 months later...

Archived