I guarantee you have not seen Overdrive blades that are coated with a tool coating unless you have watched my Instagram @dougskatesharpening . 

I have eleven pair that I will sell for $40 USD each shipped in the Continental U.S.A. with hardware and advice for installation from yours truly. Other locations may be higher. 

The coating was done by Monty Hockey in an aircraft shop. It is a military spec coating that is similar, but not the same as DLC, the coating used on Step Blacksteel. What is the benefit on an Overdrive blade?

1) Blends into Vertexx composite reinforced cut out on Bauer cowlings.

2) Increased lubricity, meaning that the blade digs into the ice easier for both slipout prevention and crease movements.

3) Corrosion prevention; I have two pair out in the wild that look the same as the day they were installed. Note: hardware is not coated.

4) If you DO sharpen your Overdrive blades, they will stay sharper. I don’t sharpen mine, btw.

5) The black coating matches your Step Blacksteel, and that would look killer on a pair of True one piece goal skates, especially if you opt for Blacksteel for said skates!  Yes, they CAN be installed on that boot!

These ship from the 62095 zipcode for free in the Continental USA; other locations will be nominally more expensive. 

In the photo, a pair of non-coated blades is shown for comparison purposes.

image.jpg

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Scythe said:

Could they work on the heel of the skate as well? 

Never thought of that. I will have to ask Mr. McLeod about that. Instinctively, I’d say no, and part of me says the toe was chosen since that it is literally where John had trouble with a shell literally sharpened past where it was useful to get a push in the butterfly. 

Interesting concept, nonetheless! I will ask John. 

15 hours ago, Scythe said:

Could they work on the heel of the skate as well? 

From John: “Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I used to get that one a lot. There's really no need to put one on the heel because the boot is very thin at the heel, which allows the main blade to angle down to a very low angle. You could try it, but you won't get a lot of leverage to move at that low angle. The big reason for Overdrive is the width of the boot, and the height of the blade. Hope all that made sense”.

Archived