2 Piece Glove

Dub90

3 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I've seen a post about this in the last month or two. As @bunnyman666 said it's mostly the flex. I used 2 piece for about 5 years but went custom and got one piece and didn't look back. 

And it’s nothing like the 2 piece gloves of yesteryear where the flex was so much that there was a gap in coverage without the protection between the catch surface and wrist protection. 

I have had what Factory Mad called “one piece/two piece” (on a Warrior Messiah glove) where the glove was one piece on the outside, but had separate wrist and thumb moulds. I don’t know that Factory still even offers that option. It offered the flex of a two piece with the aesthetics of a one piece.

Two piece is still offered because up until a few years back, one piece was not NHL approved and there were guys that preferred the two piece even after the NHL approved the one piece design. But it’s not the revolutionary or sweeping change that something like a cowling-free skate or an all elastic strapped pad is; though one day, the two piece glove may end up being a special order item. Weirdly enough, my Vaughn V Carbon Elite glove is a two piece and it was a stock item at Monkey.

personally for me i've only ever had a one piece ccm premier but currently have a 2 piece vaughn, and it gets more flexible as time goes on, but i've never gotten terrible stingers from it. having a two piece can also help you to flex your wrist more as you're playing the puck.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

d because up until a few years back, one piece was not NHL approved and there were guys that preferred the two piece even after the NHL approved the one piece design. 

I thought that was IIHF that was slow on allowing one piece designs? 

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I thought that was IIHF that was slow on allowing one piece designs? 

Maybe they are. I know the NHL was slow to approve them. If I were a manufacturer, I would be pushing for those to be approved as the one piece would be cheaper to manufacture and would reduce inventories.  

On 5/4/2019 at 3:13 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I have used both. Two piece are nominally more flexible. I can switch back and forth (as I have both) and don’t find myself clamouring for the other when I switch. I frankly can’t tell a difference.

Do you mean flex on impact from a puck? Or how else do you mean? 

I can't think of any situation where the cuff/face of a glove flexes or could flex other than puck impact.

24 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Do you mean flex on impact from a puck? Or how else do you mean? 

I can't think of any situation where the cuff/face of a glove flexes or could flex other than puck impact.

Most likely the puck. The modern two piece is nothing like a T-1000.

42 minutes ago, seagoal said:

2 piece allows for slightly better smothering/covering of the puck on the ice, especially if you like the wrist straps tight.  Picture the palm of your hand flat on a table, but your forearm going up at a 60 degree angle.  The two piece allows for that

9 minutes ago, Naz said:

2 piece allows for slightly better smothering/covering of the puck on the ice, especially if you like the wrist straps tight.  Picture the palm of your hand flat on a table, but your forearm going up at a 60 degree angle.  The two piece allows for that

How.....in a way a 1 piece would not?

Are you saying the wrist would be pushed straight down into the ice so that the glove bends? Who covers pucks like that?

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

How.....in a way a 1 piece would not?

from the angle of your forearm, the one piece can pull the heel portion of the glove off the ice.  With the 2 piece, there is the break at that point, allowing the cuff to follow the contour of your (elevated at an angle) off the ice inner arm, whereas the palm remains flat on the ice.
This is or course, dependent on how tight you wear the wrist strap and also how far into the glove the bottom of your arm padding goes.
If you wear the wrist straps loose, no difference between one and two piece when smothering the puck.

Archived