Different Pads for Different Goalies

Peter36

2 hours ago, DL42 said:

its about pref not style,  all goalies are athletic and they all butterfly.

I don't entirely agree with that.

It's true that a good goalie can use almost any leg pad and still be good. But it is without question that certain pads are made to accommodate certain styles of play.

Anyway it's just my opinion:

Strictly Butterfly: CCM Premier or Bauer Supreme
Hybrid/battle-fly: Vaughn Velocity or CCM E-Flex

53 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Don’t certain pads work better with certain styles?

to an extent, yes. a straighter pad works better for someone with more spread and flex in their hips and a wider butterfly, while a larger S curve works better for someone with less flexibility and a tighter butterfly. 
Mainly, people chose what pad because of the way the puck will react off of it and how the pad fits on your leg. Obviously, stiffer pads give out faster rebounds and are meant to be worn looser and vice versa for a more flexible pad, where the rebounds come off softer and the whole pad gives a little more, especially at the boot, and is meant to be worn tighter, its designed to rotate with your leg, while a looser pad will rotate around your leg. 

On 5/5/2019 at 3:39 PM, ULTIMA said:

It's true that a good goalie can use almost any leg pad and still be good. But it is without question that certain pads are made to accommodate certain styles of play.

you think if they put Quick in stock 2S Pros hed still be playing well?

1 minute ago, ULTIMA said:

I don't entirely agree with that.

Anyway it's just my opinion:

Strictly Butterfly: CCM Premier or Bauer Supreme
Hybrid/battle-fly: Vaughn Velocity or CCM E-Flex

Exactly.

To go further, it's about flexibilty/stiffness.  

A pad isn't going to make you play certain way, but if you do play a certain way, one pad style might be better suited to you.

Ask yourself how flexible are your hips. Do you have a narrow or wide butterfly? Do pucks hit your knees a lot of do your pads actually close when down? Do you want torsional flex or not? Do you want a soft boot or not?  Breaks in the roll or not?

These questions answered will guide you towards a style of pad.

5 minutes ago, Max27 said:

you think if they put Quick in stock 2S Pros hed still be playing well?

I'd say Quick plays the way he does so he uses squishy V4s.  He doesn't play the way he does because he uses squishy V4s.

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

I'd say Quick plays the way he does so he used squishy V4s.  He doesn't play the way he does because he uses squishy V4s.

can make that case with any nhl goalie though

4 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I said almost. No.

true

19 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I'd say Quick plays the way he does so he uses squishy V4s.  He doesn't play the way he does because he uses squishy V4s.

However- I’d bet Quick would mop the floor with all of us here even if he were using brand new 2S pads! 

I have heard Billy Gibbons sound like Billy Gibbons playing a Fender through a crappy solid state Amp (He normally plays a Les Paul with a Marshall), so I would bet Quick would maybe let in a muffin in warmups, then mop the ice against a team of beer leaguers in a new set of 2S. Against pros? Different story...

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Time to revive this thread. Everyone is telling me that because I am rubber and man junior (mini Quick), I should use stiffer pads. I use pves now and used to use the 2016 kohos. I’ve always been in soft pads. Does anyone think I would truly benefit from using stiffer pads?

The question is how do you want to play and how do you want pucks to come off?

It makes no sense to say because you are flexible you should be in stiff pads.  Quick is arguably the most flexible goalie in the NHL and his pads are made of cotton candy.

Would you (or he) benefit?  Well that depends.  They would play differently, yes.  Would that difference be good or bad? That depends on your goals and what you want.

I loved the conversation in this thread about whether our gear dictates certain play or not or whether our gear makes us a certain/good goalie or not.  This thread was some of the best food for thought this year, even rereading it now.

10 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Time to revive this thread. Everyone is telling me that because I am rubber and man junior (mini Quick), I should use stiffer pads. I use pves now and used to use the 2016 kohos. I’ve always been in soft pads. Does anyone think I would truly benefit from using stiffer pads?

I rely on my athleticism, just as you do. I never liked stiff pads, the stiffest I ever went was the SLR pads. I think if I were you I would stay in softer, more flexible pads. Then again, it is ultimately about personal preference. At the end of the day, if you like the softer style pads you are in, then there is no reason to change them.

• 4 months later...

Here is my experience with soft and stiff pads. 

I play 6-7 times a week, high level nhl players/Ahl/euro/senior AAA to a lot of ex nhl players and beer league ncaa and cis. Also am a practice goalie for whl player camps. Never played anywhere as I went blind in my midget years and didn’t see again until I was 25. But all my buds played pro so when I got my vision back I started playing with canucks alumni and was a Calgary Flames practice goalie. 

Im 43 and 5’ 10.5”  but can still do side splits and almost full splits(lost the full splits after a groin pull) , however my bfly isn’t very wide. I went from v4 36” to pro return eflex3 35” to warrior g3 35” to Bauer 1x large to ve8 35 to bauer 2x med to Bauer 2s med to JRZ fusion 33” then another Bauer 1x custom large set. I went from a very soft squishy pad (v4) ultimately to a nice stiff pad 1x custom ( 1x boot and slimness, 2s stiffness one knee break no thigh break). All these pads were used in about 1.5 seasons, I spent a lot of money experimenting to find what i played the best in. Actually had my first bauer 1x pads dented by Martin Frk shot this summer... 109 mph😳

I play aggressive bfly and have good mobility in a large pad for my height. ( long shin bones FTK is 20.75”) I keep the pads straight and never curve them. I never get hit in the knees as my bfly closes with the stock thighrise. If I could have gotten 35+.5 I would have. 

I find the hard rebounds let me get set for the next shot and gives me extra time to read the play, and see oppositions positioning. 

RVH is better seal along the ice with a stiff pad, and I like how it locks against the post. No squeakers. I also wear the pads tight at the knee and tight above the ankle, no boot strap and I use smart straps for toe ties. 

Basically you need to demo as many pads as you can to see what fits your style of play, which in my case evolved even when I was in my forties... 

best overall pads I used were the JRZ fusions, stiff pad, less stiff boot but not eflex or 2x boot soft. Awesome rebounds, slide as good as my Bauer’s and about 4.8lbs a pad. Too bad I had already ordered my Bauer’s or I would be in the fusions.... however I love my 1x pads and will continue to use until they fall apart (which almost all new bauer pads do) 

g0rilla

Duh I just realized this is a 5month old thread

Archived