What was lacking in Bishop’s Chestie?

I did not see exactly where he was hit as I was listening to the game on the radio, but it was described as between the shoulder and clavicle. I would think that area had redundant protection, though I got hit hard enough in the clavicle that I had my neck guard beefed up as the way I wear mine leaves a gap. I realise that broadcasters can only see so much and I never got a good look. Does anyone know what chestie he is wearing? Has anyone heard what his injury is, or was it just a stinger? 

I understand why the Dallas fans were fit to be tied, as if it happened to my guy and Dallas scored a goal, I would very much not be happy. That game had the penalties called very strangely in the first period, then they generally let the guys play after the first period. The no whistle was consistent with the rest of the weird game calling for the refs.

Hope he’s okay. I spent a teeny bit of time with his mum and (at that time) baby daughter at a coaching session/clinic with pros at the Brentwood Ice Rink in St. Louis, MO as I arrived at the rink WAAAAY early before my drop in. Saw Troy Brower, as well that day along with a bunch of guys with their sweaters turned inside out. That was the same week Tommy Wingels warmed me up at another stick and puck. Ben’s mum is very nice. 

Caught the shot right off the collar bone.

I'm ok with the non-whistle. The entire sequence after the shot and into a goal was about three seconds and Dallas never even touched the puck. Hell, ref had the whistle in his mouth and wasn't too far off from blowing the play dead.

It's beyond me how any (Blues) players can celebrate a goal when they shoot into an empty net while the goalie is writhing in pain on the ground 🤬 I mean, I know it's a fair goal, and a playoff game, and they want the goal... but seriously, poor sportsmanship to celebrate that 😡

This was a weird one.  Watching it live I was sorta shocked that the play continued and more so when they scored.  

I certainly don't take exception to the Blues celebrating.  Nothing wrong or unsportsmanlike about that for me.

As I've thought about it more, we are seeing things like this more and more and it really calls into question how much responsibility the refs have to goalies and their gear/ability to play.  I'm thinking, for example, of Rask's blade coming off and him losing his mind yelling at the ref for a whistle and the ref is just giving him the "What the F##! ?" body language.  That makes sense: your gear failed, that's on you.  

Granted, that's not the same as a potential injury, but it's part of this larger question of responsibility to goalies.  I think the refs in general about whistles when masks come unclipped or just come off.  That's more of a no-brainer (no pun intended for a whistle).

Refs leave guys down on the ice all the time who are potentially hurt or injured.  They even allow guys to drop the gloves and outright fight bare knuckles, so their concern for safety is not that great, overall.  (it's always strange and provocative for me how in a game if there's a body check to the head the offender is ejected and suspended and then 30 seconds later they'll allow a bare knuckle fight). 

Also, Bishop has a reputation of being a drama queen and diving and embellishing, so there's that coming into play, as well. 

Anyway, it makes sense to me that given that the Blues maintained possession in the offensive zone and Bishop was down....."maybe" injured, "maybe" being a drama queen...that they allowed the play to go on. 

They're attempting to have less whistles in general to promote more goals and this falls in line with that goal.  

1 hour ago, estogoalie said:

It's beyond me how any (Blues) players can celebrate a goal when they shoot into an empty net while the goalie is writhing in pain on the ground 🤬 I mean, I know it's a fair goal, and a playoff game, and they want the goal... but seriously, poor sportsmanship to celebrate that 😡

Man, imagine celebrating in the playoffs?

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

This was a weird one.  Watching it live I was sorta shocked that the play continued and more so when they scored.  

I certainly don't take exception to the Blues celebrating.  Nothing wrong or unsportsmanlike about that for me.

As I've thought about it more, we are seeing things like this more and more and it really calls into question how much responsibility the refs have to goalies and their gear/ability to play.  I'm thinking, for example, of Rask's blade coming off and him losing his mind yelling at the ref for a whistle and the ref is just giving him the "What the F##! ?" body language.  That makes sense: your gear failed, that's on you.  

Granted, that's not the same as a potential injury, but it's part of this larger question of responsibility to goalies.  I think the refs in general about whistles when masks come unclipped or just come off.  That's more of a no-brainer (no pun intended for a whistle).

Refs leave guys down on the ice all the time who are potentially hurt or injured.  They even allow guys to drop the gloves and outright fight bare knuckles, so their concern for safety is not that great, overall.  (it's always strange and provocative for me how in a game if there's a body check to the head the offended is ejected and suspended and then 30 seconds later they'll allow a bare knuckle fight). 

Also, Bishop has a reputation of being a drama queen and diving and embellishing, so there's that coming into play, as well. 

Anyway, it makes sense to me that given that the Blues maintained possession in the offensive zone and Bishop was down....."maybe" injured, "maybe" being a drama queen...that they allowed the play to go on. 

They're attempting to have less whistles in general to promote more goals and this falls in line with that goal.  

The weirdest thing was that weak,weak penalties were called giving 4 on 4s in the first period. Just a weirdly called game.

The Stars would have done the same, celebrating the goal. It’s playoff hockey, after all...

Shots like that are why you don't buy a cheap chestie.

Also, Bishop got pretty damn lucky. I broke a guys collarbone with a similar shot last year. Doesn't take a lot of force, just the right amount in the right place.

Looks like Bishop is starting in goal tonight against the Blues. So the shot knocked him down and did no damage.

Collar bone fractures are so much of a “when” rather than an “if” in cycling and even motorcycle riding; I’d rather not think it’s that way playing goal, but I suppose it could be. I LUCKILY got out of the world of cycling without a collarbone break and would rather not break mine playing goal. I have literally had enough road rash to cover my entire body three times over when riding and racing my bicycle. I have had (touch wood) zero broken bones playing goal, and hope to keep it that way. 

19 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Pretty sure I've seen you post about "snowflakes" and people being too easily-offended before... 🙃

There's no 'poor sportsmanship' at play — every goal in the playoffs is a huge one, and St. Louis was looking to survive and push the series to a Game 7. They simply react to the puck crossing the goal line, and moving it that much closer to their ultimate goal. It's not like they did some gimmicky, showoff celebration. It was an earnest, visceral reaction — there's no automatic ethical algorithm that everyone on the ice instantly processes. I doubt Bishop was offended, or gave it a second thought.

12 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Looked like Bishop was wearing a bigger neck guard last night. All black so a bit hard to tell but it looked like it at least was higher/tighter on him. 

I’ve been hit in the front of the clavicle, and that part of my neck guard is an inch thick. I get where he’s coming from. 

18 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

If he'd broken his collar bone he wouldn't be able to move his arm - my old work manager who was a Krav Maga practitioner told me the easiest way to stop an assailant was punch out their collar bones! 🤣

truth.  A hammer fist to the collar bone is highly recommended.  Of course, it being Krav Maga, you then kick him in the nutz to be sure.

Archived