Vaughn VE8 XP Glove users?

seagoal

8 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I do

Nice! What's been your experience with it? Do you have a history with Vaughn gloves?

Do you find the wrist strap stays tight? I'm skeptical of nylon slider wrist straps.

I used 5500s forever but switched to the V6 2200 1 piece a couple of years ago and was really happy with it.

I ordered a custom VE8 set last year but opted for another 2200 because Vaughn told me it was nothing like the VE8 XP.

I went to a proper hockey store this past week and got to try one for the first time and it felt really good, I really liked it. I'm on the verge of ordering one.

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nice! What's been your experience with it? Do you have a history with Vaughn gloves?

I used 5500s forever but switched to the V6 2200 1 piece a couple of years ago and was really happy with it.

I ordered a custom VE8 set last year but opted for another 2200 because Vaughn told me it was nothing like the VE8 XP.

I went to a proper hockey store this past week and got to try one for the first time and it felt really good, I really liked it. I'm on the verge of ordering one.

I’ve used vaughn ever since I started playing...I have experienced with the v5,v6 2200, SLR, and now VE8. I must say the VE8 XP had been by far my favorite. It closes great out of the box, and I like the one piece cuff. Unfortunately, after a long season of about 6 practices a week + games, some of the lacing is coming undone. However, if you aren’t on the ice that much I think it should last a while.

18 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I’ve used vaughn ever since I started playing...I have experienced with the v5,v6 2200, SLR, and now VE8. I must say the VE8 XP had been by far my favorite. It closes great out of the box, and I like the one piece cuff. Unfortunately, after a long season of about 6 practices a week + games, some of the lacing is coming undone. However, if you aren’t on the ice that much I think it should last a while.

Nice, thanks. 

Thst was my impression too about the closure.  Very snappy already on the shelf in the store .

Do you mean the lacing through the perimeter eyelets around the face, over the binding? Or somewhere else?

If so, my gloves have always worn there too.  

Any feedback on the wrist strap staying tight or coming loose?  I'm deliberating ordering mine with a 2200 leather/buckle strap.

9 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

@seagoal The lacing that ties the bottom of the tee down into the glove. The tee is kind of flapping around now. 

Unfortunately no glove lasts forever :(

No complaints with the wrist strap.

Ah, ok.  That should be fixable, then. 

Thanks so much for the info, much appreciated. 

If you get around to it, throw some pics up so I can see your mitt and what you're talking about.

33 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ah, ok.  That should be fixable, then. 

Thanks so much for the info, much appreciated. 

If you get around to it, throw some pics up so I can see your mitt and what you're talking about.

Your very welcome!

I certainly will! I am going to bring it home from the arena tomorrow so I can try and get it fixed.

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

Do you find the wrist strap stays tight? I'm skeptical of nylon slider wrist straps.

DO IT!

I just got this glove and have never used anything Vaughn EVER. I bought this glove totally based on how it felt in store and it has been the BEST feeling glove I've ever used by far. I dont see how I could ever use anything else!

10 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

DO IT!

I just got this glove and have never used anything Vaughn EVER. I bought this glove totally based on how it felt in store and it has been the BEST feeling glove I've ever used by far. I dont see how I could ever use anything else!

Thanks Cheddarberg.  Yeah, I was surprised how natural it felt on my hand because I was expecting it to be drastically different from my 2200.  It was different, but not drastically so.

This VE8 glove was closer to a 90 degree angle (majority of pocket perpendicular to my fingers) than the V6 I have, which is more of a baseball/5500 glove closure (majority of pocket aligned straight with my fingers).  So I could tell it was different, but I liked it.

This was my first time trying it on and I also tried every glove from Warrior, CCM, Brian's, and Bauer.  Some of the Warrior and CCM gloves in particular felt extremely awkward and unnatural for me.  I didn't take note of any angle designations, but there are for sure some gloves that are just not for me. 

Brian's gloves felt really nice and Bauer, by far, felt the best outside of Vaughn. 

How's your experience with the wrist strap on the VE8 XP?  Do you find it stays tight once you get it to where you want?  Any times it comes loose while playing?

I like to wear my gloves really tight.  I actually fold my velcro finger straps to make them tighter.  My experience with the nylon slider straps on the 5500 wrists years ago was that they were either not very good at all at tightening and even less so at staying tight.  In the store the VE8 glove for sure tightened to my likened but I'm just wondering if it will naturally loosen while playing, which I don't want. 

7 hours ago, Peter36 said:

@seagoal as you can see it has been doing that at the bottom of the tee for the past couple weeksD1A2B201-4557-4DA7-964B-AA6B4740F023.thumb.jpeg.7809487ad4cb241f66c0b33439876216.jpeg02F65A12-1C14-4DEC-B76F-88736BAE1082.thumb.jpeg.17fdb84c0bc8764fe8e393bbdced070a.jpeg671AD048-BE7B-48C7-999B-64440B8A1793.thumb.jpeg.276cb4f047f5400bc30ba84a6b6d3c1d.jpeg58FF9139-B61E-4DC3-85DE-31EBE505CEBC.thumb.jpeg.13c51270b150f72a1a39d520b768c205.jpeg

Any issues with puck pop out? I just ordered new VE8 pads and blocker and was planning to keep my Larceny glove because I love it. After seeing the new set, I feel like I have to have the matching glove. 

I love the angling on my Larceny and have a little finger curl to keep the glove from pancaking/flattening out. It looks like your glove has flattened significantly - do you think that causes pop outs? I understand some goalies prefer this in their gloves, but I can't stand it.

11 minutes ago, SuperSieve1 said:

Any issues with puck pop out? I just ordered new VE8 pads and blocker and was planning to keep my Larceny glove because I love it. After seeing the new set, I feel like I have to have the matching glove. 

I love the angling on my Larceny and have a little finger curl to keep the glove from pancaking/flattening out. It looks like your glove has flattened significantly - do you think that causes pop outs? I understand some goalies prefer this in their gloves, but I can't stand it.

This glove flattens out, for sure, right off the shelf in the store.  I was actually really impressed with how snappy it was and how easy it was to scoop pucks off the floor in the store.

Most goalies I think would consider this a good thing and eventually want gloves to open wide.  The drop off the thumb piece into the pocket is less steep than traditional gloves.  This glove is similar in that regard to the 1 piece V6 and V7.  It seems the 2 piece gloves are steeper at this drop.

These current generation Vaughn gloves will not finger curl, that's for sure.  They've solved that issue a while ago.

Are you set on the 1 piece VE8?  I just ordered mine yesterday and it's my first custom Vaughn piece being made in Canada :)

On 5/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, seagoal said:

Thanks Cheddarberg.  Yeah, I was surprised how natural it felt on my hand because I was expecting it to be drastically different from my 2200.  It was different, but not drastically so.

This VE8 glove was closer to a 90 degree angle (majority of pocket perpendicular to my fingers) than the V6 I have, which is more of a baseball/5500 glove closure (majority of pocket aligned straight with my fingers).  So I could tell it was different, but I liked it.

This was my first time trying it on and I also tried every glove from Warrior, CCM, Brian's, and Bauer.  Some of the Warrior and CCM gloves in particular felt extremely awkward and unnatural for me.  I didn't take note of any angle designations, but there are for sure some gloves that are just not for me. 

Brian's gloves felt really nice and Bauer, by far, felt the best outside of Vaughn. 

How's your experience with the wrist strap on the VE8 XP?  Do you find it stays tight once you get it to where you want?  Any times it comes loose while playing?

I like to wear my gloves really tight.  I actually fold my velcro finger straps to make them tighter.  My experience with the nylon slider straps on the 5500 wrists years ago was that they were either not very good at all at tightening and even less so at staying tight.  In the store the VE8 glove for sure tightened to my likened but I'm just wondering if it will naturally loosen while playing, which I don't want. 

The wrist strap has caused no issue nor has it been any kind of inconvenience. I find the grip liner in the glove does a fantastic job at keeping my hand from slipping around in there.

I too like to wear my glove tight. I was in a Bauer 1X prior to this and that was one of my biggest issues with that glove. I could never get the fit I wanted out of it where my hand kept feeling like it was slipping inside that thing. 

TRUST ME here, this glove is awesome. It's only been getting better with time too, the more I use it and break it in, the better it feels.

You're going to love it!

6 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

The wrist strap has caused no issue nor has it been any kind of inconvenience. I find the grip liner in the glove does a fantastic job at keeping my hand from slipping around in there.

I too like to wear my glove tight. I was in a Bauer 1X prior to this and that was one of my biggest issues with that glove. I could never get the fit I wanted out of it where my hand kept feeling like it was slipping inside that thing. 

TRUST ME here, this glove is awesome. It's only been getting better with time too, the more I use it and break it in, the better it feels.

You're going to love it!

Nice, that's good info.  Thanks.

I did, though, end up ordering a leather buckle wrist strap, just like how @TheGoalNet did with his EF4 glove which you can see on his Youtube channel.

I spoke to the manager of the goalie department on the phone yesterday when placing my order and he confirmed my concerns about the longevity of tightness with nylon, slider, pulling wrist straps.  I don't like to tinker with the fit of my glove while playing so the leather buckle strap works great for me on my current V6 2200.  I like to lock in and forget about it. 

Awesome that you enjoy yours.  I am super excited about this glove with it's wide pocket and snappyness. This will be my first flat cuff glove, too.  The V6 I have and all 5500 have the curl on the cuff.  I like the aesthetics and modern feel of the flat faced cuff.  My glove is finally evolving to match my blocker and pads :)

10 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nice, that's good info.  Thanks.

I did, though, end up ordering a leather buckle wrist strap, just like how @TheGoalNet did with his EF4 glove which you can see on his Youtube channel.

I spoke to the manager of the goalie department on the phone yesterday when placing my order and he confirmed my concerns about the longevity of tightness with nylon, slider, pulling wrist straps.  I don't like to tinker with the fit of my glove while playing so the leather buckle strap works great for me on my current V6 2200.  I like to lock in and forget about it. 

Awesome that you enjoy yours.  I am super excited about this glove with it's wide pocket and snappyness. This will be my first flat cuff glove, too.  The V6 I have and all 5500 have the curl on the cuff.  I like the aesthetics and modern feel of the flat faced cuff.  My glove is finally evolving to match my blocker and pads :)

I love vaughn gloves so much. I think for my next set I’m going to try 2x though. Not a huge fan of the ve8 strapping and pve won’t come out until next August. I’ll probably pick up a pair of pve when they go in clearance and I outgrow my 2x.

Just a quick custom update...the upcharge for modifying the wrist strap from stock to a leather buckle strap was $35 CDN/$26 USD.  Pretty reasonable, me thinks. 

Still $30 for embroidery, which seems so steep.  If I remember correctly Vaughn is the only company to separately charge for embroidery on custom orders.  Oh well.

Archived