Arm bruises with Vaughn pro level gear

I recently decided to return to the ice and play goal again after about 15 years.  I replaced some of my gear including my chestiie and glove with Vaughn Velocity VE 8 Pro Carbon equipment.  The other day I was at stick practice and a shooter was shooting slap shots from just inside the blue line and he was focused on glove side high.  At the end of practice I took off my arm pad and had a large goose egg and bruise on my glove hand wrist.  His shot was maybe 60 to 70 mph so I had little trouble following them and at least getting a piece of them so I don't understand why the bruising is so bad.  Granted the shooter was a big dude and his shot was very heavy but surely they shoot much harder than that in the pros.  I expected pro spec gear to offer more protection than that.  When I look at the forearm section I see that the carbon fiber plate is good and solid but there is very little padding to back it up so the puck is slamming a carbon fiber plate into your arm.  I can't see the pro goalies putting up with this. 

Anyone have any experience with this ?  I have a high density foam pad in an elastic sleeve that's meant as a forearm pad for some other sport (soccer?) and I'm planning to wear this tomorrow night when I play in a pick up game but I don't expect to get peppered like that in a game situation (amateur over 50).   I can't afford to replace it again since I had to replace my 30 year old skates last week and my leg pads are equally as ancient

Other than this issue the gear is fantastic, by the way.  Almost no breaking required , fits comfortably, and light weight.  

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Pros have their arms beefed up. You could send your unit to Dennis Dombrowski at Factory Mad and get your arms reinforced. It’s around $80, but well worth it! 

Thanks!  I'll check into that.  $80 would be well worth it to me.

1 hour ago, robertbarker said:

Thanks!  I'll check into that.  $80 would be well worth it to me.

Some people think a padded shirt is good enough, but reinforced arms is the best solution. 

The pros get these with reinforced arms, and I think regular customers can spec them when ordering custom.

I have the VE8 pro carbon as well and I’ve felt a handful of shots to the upper arms but nothing that left any bruising. Most of the leagues around here have kind of banned slappers as too many people were getting hit up high but in the drop ins I’ve been in I’ve taken a few to no ill effect.

Was the unit brand new when you got it? Like the forearm pad isn’t cracked or anything? The arms are a bit weak on these but to get bruises in your scenario seems like it shouldn’t be happening. 

5 hours ago, wox33 said:

I have the VE8 pro carbon as well and I’ve felt a handful of shots to the upper arms but nothing that left any bruising. Most of the leagues around here have kind of banned slappers as too many people were getting hit up high but in the drop ins I’ve been in I’ve taken a few to no ill effect.

Was the unit brand new when you got it? Like the forearm pad isn’t cracked or anything? The arms are a bit weak on these but to get bruises in your scenario seems like it shouldn’t be happening. 

Yes, the unit is brand new and had about an hours use before that day.  I had no issue with upper arms just the forearm on the glove side (full right).  I checked for cracking etc but don't see any signs of damage.  I do bruise pretty easy and there were two or three dozen shots to that area so maybe it was a cumulative thing.  Played an hour and a half pick up game tonight with no protection issues so maybe it was just a fluke.

WIN_20190511_23_56_17_Pro.jpg

The forearm a notoriously bad area that can be exposed in any chestie. Sometimes there is a gap between the wrist and forearm of your C&A, I’ve had a similar bruise on both a CCM and Bauer set up. I found it to be an issue where the glove prevented the C&A from coming all the way down to protect the wrist. 

5 hours ago, Doc1200 said:

The forearm a notoriously bad area that can be exposed in any chestie. Sometimes there is a gap between the wrist and forearm of your C&A, I’ve had a similar bruise on both a CCM and Bauer set up. I found it to be an issue where the glove prevented the C&A from coming all the way down to protect the wrist. 

That's a good point, I didn't consider the possibility of a gap opening up between the glove and arm pad.  I'm pretty sure it's covered when I'm in ready stance but when I'm reaching to make the save it might have opened up.

Yep if you turn or flex your wrist to make the save it can expose a small area that is left unprotected between the cuff of the glove and the end of the chestie. Happens to me because I pull my arms up high in my chestie to get max rotation and flexibility in my catcher. 

I'm a little slow on this thread... looked at it a few times now and I'm not understanding how a shot from the point during a stick and puck is hitting an unprotected portion of the forearm. Is this a fingers up glove position situation (presenting the exposed area) in which the puck is dropping off the table like a nasty curve ball? I can understand the puck not getting gobbled up by the webbing and hitting some other part of the glove... but not the forearm like it is.

As weak of a spot as this may be for the C/A in question... I'm wrapped up in the positioning and technique being employed. Can someone help me understand?

On 5/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, Doc1200 said:

Yep if you turn or flex your wrist to make the save it can expose a small area that is left unprotected between the cuff of the glove and the end of the chestie. Happens to me because I pull my arms up high in my chestie to get max rotation and flexibility in my catcher. 

Well I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility.  I put the chestie and glove on here at home and moved all around like I might during a save and I didn't see anything obvious but that's not a very good game simulation so I'll have to pay attention next time I play.  I didn't notice one particular shot causing the damage at the time, either so that makes it harder to diagnose.

On 5/13/2019 at 3:41 PM, seagoal said:

Did that shot come from the inside of your arm or outside....or from your left or right if you're full right?

Check out this mod I did on my V7

https://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/1709-slr-style-forearm-pads/

I am a full right so the shot (actually there was more than one shot that went off the arm and not in the glove) would be striking the inside of my forearm.  Thanks for the link, I may indeed try something like that. 

On 5/13/2019 at 5:32 PM, ULTIMA said:

I did not read any of the responses but saw the bruised photo.

The unit is fine. The area you got struck is exposed. I own the same unit and there's an open spot in the wrist area. Future models will probably address this.

Anyway here's my advice/solution:

https://www.aegisimpact.com/technology/bracers/

Thanks for the link.  Something like that is probably the easiest way  to resolve this issue.

9 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'm a little slow on this thread... looked at it a few times now and I'm not understanding how a shot from the point during a stick and puck is hitting an unprotected portion of the forearm. Is this a fingers up glove position situation (presenting the exposed area) in which the puck is dropping off the table like a nasty curve ball? I can understand the puck not getting gobbled up by the webbing and hitting some other part of the glove... but not the forearm like it is.

As weak of a spot as this may be for the C/A in question... I'm wrapped up in the positioning and technique being employed. Can someone help me understand?

I don't understand exactly how it happened either.  I am a stand up , positional style goalie so the glove was definitely fingers down. and there weren't any knuckleballs that I recall.  Some went in the glove like they are supposed to, some hit other parts of the glove including a few off the  front cuff, and some  I missed with the glove or couldn't reach with the glove and  they went off the arm  but I believe the glove was facing forward at all times.  An example of this would be a shot in close to my body where I need to keep my arm close to my chest to seal off the gap..     

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm in the camp of the c/a is probably fine.  Did the puck get deflected on its way in causing you to miss it with the glove?  Did you get screened and missed it?  Or was it just a flat out miss?

LOL, no there were not tip ins  or screens.  At 63 years old with a 15 year layoff I'm afraid my reflexes are quite what the used to be.  I was happy just to get a piece of it and keep it from going in.  A few did get by me, those are what I call misses.  😉

17 hours ago, robertbarker said:

LOL, no there were not tip ins  or screens.  At 63 years old with a 15 year layoff I'm afraid my reflexes are quite what the used to be.  I was happy just to get a piece of it and keep it from going in.  A few did get by me, those are what I call misses.  😉

That's fucking awesome.  Good for you still hitting the ice at 63.  I hope I am able to do the same.

Archived