Removing Pad Logos

CJ17

Have any of you had success removing logos from your pads?  I'm not trying to remove the big brand name logo (Vaughn, in this case), but the smaller, neon green, slr2 logos.  I found this posted in a goalie store thread from a few years back from Mike Vaughn himself:

Just a warning do not put nail polish remover on equipment, the stuff is extremely toxic and it does damage the base material you may not notice it right away but that area will never be the same. Also any cleaner with much Chlorine in it is extremely destructive, household cleaners tend to be Ok but any industrial strength cleaner with Chlorine and I have seen it eat a hole right into the material, I have seen a pad stored just near swimming pool chlorine basically disintegrate. Denatured Alcohol is the strongest thing I would ever try and even with that you need to be careful. The Clarino synthetic material is an oil based product it is made with a base constructed of millions small fibers that are resin coated and heat and pressure bonded together, then the top finish is a film that is laminated to the surface. Any harsh chemical loosens the bond between the top coat and the base material, use enough and you start weakening the resin in the fibers of the base material. I have tested materials that have been exposed to chemicals like Nail polish remover or Brake Clean and other commonly tired removers, and the material loses at least half it structural strength right away, the abrasion test is the most noticeable within hours of exposure, the tear resistance on the base material takes about 48 to 72 hours before the test show how much damage has been done. Fabric softener will also remove some transfers, Screen printing is even more difficult to remove and typically cannot be done without damaging the surface.

Can anyone confirm if what Mike Vaughn mentioned should be strictly adhered to?  For those of you who have attempted to remove logos, what has worked or even what hasn't, and what should be avoided?

Acetone is the primary ingredient in nail polish remover.  I use it to remove silk screened logos from disc golf discs all the time, and there is a minor but noticeable effect on the plastic of the disc.  There is NO WAY I'd use it on the synthetic leather on my pads.  OP, it will work, but IMHO it's not worth the risk.  The call is yours though.  Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Acetone will definitely get rid of screened on logos but it is really hard on the Jenpro. It basically melts the logo off and takes the shine off what's underneath. On old Vaughn logos you could sometimes heat them with a hair dryer and almost peal them but the newer ones seem to be on better. I've gone the acetone route in the past and while it did take the logos off you could tell the area that was in contact with it was going to wear quicker than everywhere else so I would strongly advise against it.

Archived