Bauer True Design

TheGoalNet

For everyone waiting on Bauer’s printed graphics... they’re here. 

True Design is available now. It’s $500 to get your custom graphic and Bauer will do up to 3 mock ups for you to get the design right. I believe you can start with something as simple as a crayon sketch. You can also order custom colors of any existing True Design pad like Hank’s or McKenna’s gear 

F64B881B-5276-420B-8A3C-D620CC05B740.jpeg

3A023568-ADBC-4292-B03D-67463F76AECF.thumb.jpeg.67d473d5a37ecb9333b77fe4bd3c4890.jpeg37E1F4F1-43D7-4D9E-B41E-A7458ACF1641.thumb.jpeg.20589ed2650cedbce6861b6ad74f3c4b.jpeg

A63F24F3-FC49-49AF-9CC3-B04A0A58B198.thumb.jpeg.598eaa4383f8104e1bb6c11af4dbf6d6.jpeg

C575A830-26C4-45D0-B1C2-9CD404E17D08.jpeg

Does anyone know what the average graphic upcharge is from Brians? $500 seems extremely expensive for something that's being printed. I realize that this is new basically proprietary tech and I appreciate the R&D that has gone into the entire Supreme and Vapor lines, this just seems excessive.

17 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Does anyone know what the average graphic upcharge is from Brians? $500 seems extremely expensive for something that's being printed. I realize that this is new basically proprietary tech and I appreciate the R&D that has gone into the entire Supreme and Vapor lines, this just seems excessive.

No thanks on the $500 as well... that's ridiculous. 

There's a brochure/booklet thing for all of this including custom options for pads, gloves, skates, sticks with pictures to show what each option is, etc...

Your local stores might have them by now; I know my store does.

I wonder if Bauer will release it for download, like how CCM releases their customizer booklet every year.

6 hours ago, cwarnar said:

$4k CAD for Pro Custom with graphics.  

I also read that Bauer is expanding their colors on the stock graphics

$4k CAD? Find a good sale and you can buy two sets of new pro-spec pads and gloves for that much.

So the printing detail looks like is has come a LONG way since the Anderson & McKenna sets... fantastic details on things like the strap shadows and toe cap...

IMG_1196.thumb.JPEG.21c59f336a44e1f6daf7df9d1d283e50.JPEG

Interesting specs on the balance of the set  as well... 1X blocker and 2X glove skinned as 2S?

IMG_1197.thumb.JPEG.3b5db3785a002b0303a31aea3e9ee6b0.JPEG

IMG_1198.thumb.JPEG.0d5156e22cf5f9a97e886c0059cd8f83.JPEG

10 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

No thanks on the $500 as well... that's ridiculous. 

9 hours ago, cwarnar said:

$4k CAD for Pro Custom with graphics.  

I also read that Bauer is expanding their colors on the stock graphics

3 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

$4k CAD? Find a good sale and you can buy two sets of new pro-spec pads and gloves for that much.

So I'll be the guinea pig for True Design on theGoalNet I guess. Already had some design work done by Vince Arnone (@thevincenzoarnone on IG) so I'm starting from some good images in the first place. As for the price tag... I can say that all in for the full True Design Pro Custom set my total is a decent chunk less than $4k CAD... but as I usually get 2 catchers I'll get slightly past $4k CAD.  Agreed that it is not the least expensive set out there... but for the goalie who truly wants near limitless design possibilities and all the tech Bauer currently has in their arsenal... it's really the only game in town. More to come...

But they won't have a visually bespoke design that belongs only to you.  Lots of us drop more than $500 painting our masks and don't bat an eye at the cost.   I'm not among those who are so wrapped up in having everything "my way" that I feel uncomfortable in a plain black mask or semi-custom pads, but I respect those that are.  

Bauer has done a lot over the last few years to evolve our positions.  CORTech, cowlingless skates, custom printing, etc...  Those R/D costs have to get recouped somewhere, and personally I'm glad to see the costs for the printing aspect be born primarily by those people who choose to take advantage of it. 

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

So I'll be the guinea pig for True Design on theGoalNet I guess. Already had some design work done by Vince Arnone (@thevincenzoarnone on IG) so I'm starting from some good images in the first place. As for the price tag... I can say that all in for the full True Design Pro Custom set my total is a decent chunk less than $4k CAD... but as I usually get 2 catchers I'll get slightly past $4k CAD.  Agreed that it is not the least expensive set out there... but for the goalie who truly wants near limitless design possibilities and all the tech Bauer currently has in their arsenal... it's really the only game in town. More to come...

False... Passau offered it before Bauer for significantly less

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

False... Passau offered it before Bauer for significantly less

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Really?? Passau did that with all of the Bauer tech? Pretty sure you're referring only to printed graphic.

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

But they won't have a visually bespoke design that belongs only to you.  Lots of us drop more than $500 painting our masks and don't bat an eye at the cost.   I'm not among those who are so wrapped up in having everything "my way" that I feel uncomfortable in a plain black mask or semi-custom pads, but I respect those that are.  

Bauer has done a lot over the last few years to evolve our positions.  CORTech, cowlingless skates, custom printing, etc...  Those R/D costs have to get recouped somewhere, and personally I'm glad to see the costs for the printing aspect be born primarily by those people who choose to take advantage of it. 

Custom graphics like this... you're not paying for tens of hours of an artist's time prepping the pad and then hand painting your design, the way you are with a mask. They're using the exact same machines, the exact same process, as they use when creating pads with a stock graphic. And the R&D costs they sunk into that manufacturing process should be getting recouped in the base cost of every pad they sell. I just don't see how a custom graphic justifies an additional $500, and I'll bet that it's almost 100% profit.

Yeah, it's cosmetic and entirely optional, but that doesn't mean it's exempt from criticism. It strikes me as a price gouge.

Custom graphics like this... you're not paying for tens of hours of an artist's time prepping the pad and then hand painting your design, the way you are with a mask. They're using the exact same machines, the exact same process, as they use when creating pads with a stock graphic. And the R&D costs they sunk into that manufacturing process should be getting recouped in the base cost of every pad they sell. I just don't see how a custom graphic justifies an additional $500, and I'll bet that it's almost 100% profit.

Yeah, it's cosmetic and entirely optional, but that doesn't mean it's exempt from criticism. It strikes me as a price gouge.

Except that you are paying for an artist. Someone at Bauer has to go through and take your design, trace it, scale it, color correct it, and arrange it in a way that the finished product looks good. This service starts with as little as a cocktail napkin drawing and a digital artist and designer has to make it a reality that looks good.

https://ingoalmag.com/bauer-true-design/

In this article, it even talks about how Ullmark already had a design he wanted ready to go, but when they mocked it up, it didn't look good and required a redesign. 

What you also didn't account for is the tooling and preparation for creating the pad in the first place. It's not like they're just running it through an inkjet and gluing it onto a piece of foam. There's significant production costs associated with the pads. It's unfair to compare it to Passau, who is doing this on a known commodity (jenpro) versus something highly unique in the industry (CORETech). 

Do I like the price? Certainly not. I could swallow it better at $300 than I can at $500. But to act like it's such a simple process not deserving of extra time and attention is pretty short sighted.

5 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Except that you are paying for an artist. Someone at Bauer has to go through and take your design, trace it, scale it, color correct it, and arrange it in a way that the finished product looks good. This service starts with as little as a cocktail napkin drawing and a digital artist and designer has to make it a reality that looks good.

https://ingoalmag.com/bauer-true-design/

In this article, it even talks about how Ullmark already had a design he wanted ready to go, but when they mocked it up, it didn't look good and required a redesign. 

What you also didn't account for is the tooling and preparation for creating the pad in the first place. It's not like they're just running it through an inkjet and gluing it onto a piece of foam. There's significant production costs associated with the pads. It's unfair to compare it to Passau, who is doing this on a known commodity (jenpro) versus something highly unique in the industry (CORETech). 

Do I like the price? Certainly not. I could swallow it better at $300 than I can at $500. But to act like it's such a simple process not deserving of extra time and attention is pretty short sighted.

If it's about recouping R&D or manufacturing costs, every single pad they sell should be getting marked up (to a lesser extent), not just the ones with custom graphics.

If it's about paying the design team, then their design team is horribly inefficient. The deposit (design fee) I paid when I got my helmet painted was $125, for a design that was: a) much more detailed than anything you'd get on a pad, and b) being made for a shape that isn't predominantly flat, rectangular surfaces.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a simple process, but I'm not seeing anything to suggest it's a "$500 upcharge" (or even $300 upcharge) process.

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

If it's about paying the design team, then their design team is horribly inefficient.

It's most likely based on cost/benefit of the process. It's a complicated process that takes time and if it were just like a $100 upcharge, then they'd be drowning in custom requests. Orders would get delayed and people would get mad.

5 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

It's most likely based on cost/benefit of the process. It's a complicated process that takes time and if it were just like a $100 upcharge, then they'd be drowning in custom requests. Orders would get delayed and people would get mad.

This is true and I think Bauer want to mainly sell stock sets. I guess price will come down after some time. 

9 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

This.  It's available if you REALLY want it, but they're not trying to make the bar to entry overly low. 

10 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

This.  It's available if you REALLY want it, but they're not trying to make the bar to entry overly low. 

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ To add these comments... I think it's fantastic that Bauer is offering customization options on the Senior level models... colors and embroidery. 

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ To add these comments... I think it's fantastic that Bauer is offering customization options on the Senior level models... colors and embroidery. 

I heard about this on the InGoal podcast, that's pretty sweet! I can't seem to find a customizer for it, any idea when it'll be rolled out?

13 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

I heard about this on the InGoal podcast, that's pretty sweet! I can't seem to find a customizer for it, any idea when it'll be rolled out?

It's available now with the release of the 2X gear.

From what I've seen you'll need to go down to the local hockey shop and start the custom design process from there. Napkin style.

28 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's available now with the release of the 2X gear.

From what I've seen you'll need to go down to the local hockey shop and start the custom design process from there. Napkin style.

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ My understanding as well.

Archived