Want my pads to sit higher

A.YOUNGoalie13

9 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Just got some Pro V Elites. I got my first skate in them tonight and I noticed they sit super low on my skate and almost drag on the ice. I wear the boot strap loose, anyone know how to make them sit higher?

Professor strap on those should help you keep the pad tight to your leg and not slide down your leg. If you keep the rest of the straps relatively loose you should still get all that rotation without the pad dragging down. 

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Professor strap on those should help you keep the pad tight to your leg and not slide down your leg. If you keep the rest of the straps relatively loose you should still get all that rotation without the pad dragging down. 

What is the professor strap?

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

So I should keep that one as tight as possible? Also, would removing the boot strap make them sit higher?

Broke this out into its own topic... but I would say tight enough so that it cannot drop down your calf. No need to remove the boot strap entire if you don't want to... you'll just have to make sure it has enough slack to allow the pad to stay up and not pull it down.

@Chenner29 any other thoughts?

A tight boot strap pulls pads down for sure.  A lot of goalies, myself included, who start using a professor strap end up ditching boot straps all together. 

These two straps can not work properly simultaneously because they contradict one another.  Professor straps "push" pads up, boot straps pull pads down.

Depending on the strapping on your PVEs you could also try tightening the lowest calf strap so that the bottom, boot of the pads don't sag and droop off the bottom of your leg/top of your skates.

Another strategy (that really well with professor straps) is to invest in some bungee toe ties instead of skate laces.  Bungees will keep the bottom of the pad closer to your feet/leg and prevent sagging but will still give you the ability to flex and stretch your toes out when needed. 

I am a huge advocate for the no boot strap + professor strap + bungee toe ties combo. 

17 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Just got some Pro V Elites. I got my first skate in them tonight and I noticed they sit super low on my skate and almost drag on the ice. I wear the boot strap loose, anyone know how to make them sit higher?

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Broke this out into its own topic... but I would say tight enough so that it cannot drop down your calf. No need to remove the boot strap entire if you don't want to... you'll just have to make sure it has enough slack to allow the pad to stay up and not pull it down.

@Chenner29 any other thoughts?

As a user of the SLR/Professor strap, the key is to make sure the toe tie and strap do not fight each other.

My recommendation is to wear the strap snug around the big part on the back of your calf and extend the slack at the toe to allow the pad to sit up higher.  I wear my pads this way with the boot strap very loose (third or fourth hole, it basically does nothing)

Conversely, you can also tighten the slack at the toe and loosen the SLR strap. This will force the toe box of the pad to sit at the toe of the skate, but may impede rotation and flare in the butterfly.

As always, any pictures you have of how you are strapping up would be helpful in calibrating any recommendations

Archived