Opinion on Bauer 2s, CCM Premier 2 or Vaughn

Flo321

Hi,

I would appreciate your opinion as I am looking for some new pads.
My current pad is a RBK Premier 2. I have only been playing Koho & RBK ever since.
Current considered lines are:
- CCM Premier 2
- Bauer 2s

It is difficult to check the pads here as most stores don't have pro line pads in stock and only order based on customer order.
To be honest I haven't followed the development of the gear of the last years. In the last days I checked lots of reviews and information on the current models and it seems Premier 2 might match best to me.
Though I am considering getting used gear and currently many Vaughn or Bauer 2s pads (e.g. pro returns) are available.

Has someone made the transition from RBK/CCM Premiers to Bauer 2s?
What Vaughn pad is comparable to a RBK Premier?

I like a fairly stiff pad, wearing them loose and have the preference directing rebounds to the corners.
My playing level is middle German Amateur league. In my team we have some ex pros or former junior national team players, so some guys that can shoot and play. Actually I quit playing officially some years ago due to injury. Since then I help out the team in practice or as backup for some games in case no 1 or 2 goalie is injured or sick.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Best regards from Germany,

Florian

P2 seems best suited for you. Any modern stiff pad will likely feel much stiffer than your Reebok P2s, but CCM gear is very similar year to year. The 2s Pads will likely be too stiff for you if you like a "fairly stiff" pad as theyre widely regarded as the stiffest pad you can get. CCMs customizer on the P2 is fantastic and youll be able to dial them in very well! Let us know what you end up going with

Either pad will work for you just based off of what you've specified. A lot of the pro pads will mimic senior pads, so their technology and overall feel don't stray too far from Senior to Pro. So don't be hesitant to check out senior gear to get a better idea.

I'd stay away from Vaughn. Their Ventus / SLR lines are their stiff pads, but they will be softer than what you're used too. Especially since the old Premiers has a very stiff and elevated boot.

One thing to note about the CCM P2's, they come with a "soft" boot as stock. So if you want that old stiff as a brick Lefebvre feel, you'd have to choose the stiff boot option.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Either pad will work for you just based off of what you've specified. A lot of the pro pads will mimic senior pads, so their technology and overall feel don't stray too far from Senior to Pro. So don't be hesitant to check out senior gear to get a better idea.

I'd stay away from Vaughn. Their Ventus / SLR lines are their stiff pads, but they will be softer than what you're used too. Especially since the old Premiers has a very stiff and elevated boot.

One thing to note about the CCM P2's, they come with a "soft" boot as stock. So if you want that old stiff as a brick Lefebvre feel, you'd have to choose the stiff boot option.

I got the P2 as a stiff boot but to be honest it's not that much stiffer but still a great pad.  Compare to the P1 it's not even close. That was a rock! 

To the original post go with the P2s, stock would be good for you believe, I wear mine loose as well. 

I was in your exact same shoes (or should I say skates?) before I bought my CCM Premier 1's. 

I was coming from the very same RBK Premier 2 setup as you were, and although buying another brand was tempting, I decided to stick with what I love about my RBK Premier pads and go with a custom set of CCM Premier 1's for my next set. Since then, I have fallen in love with these things. Yes, they were stiffer and taller at first (which was expected coming from older pads), but I got used to them and do not regret my decision one bit.

If I was you, I would stick with the Premier line and go with the CCM P2's. I think there is something to be said about sticking with what works and not taking too big of a jump.

All the best with your new set!

34 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

My guess is that the cores in all of the above mentioned brands will be the same.

From a manufacturing standpoint, I've gotta imagine it's cheaper to do one bulk order in all their size runs of a single type of pad core than to buy less and downgrade to a cheaper foam for the senior line.

23 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

I was in your exact same shoes (or should I say skates?) before I bought my CCM Premier 1's. 

I was coming from the very same RBK Premier 2 setup as you were, and although buying another brand was tempting, I decided to stick with what I love about my RBK Premier pads and go with a custom set of CCM Premier 1's for my next set. Since then, I have fallen in love with these things. Yes, they were stiffer and taller at first (which was expected coming from older pads), but I got used to them and do not regret my decision one bit.

If I was you, I would stick with the Premier line and go with the CCM P2's. I think there is something to be said about sticking with what works and not taking too big of a jump.

All the best with your new set!

I had the P1 and now P2...the P2 by far are so much better than the P1. Trust me, you will love it. The P1s are so much heavier and stiffer....I didn't mind it but the difference just wow. They did ride too high the P1s, plus 2 was way too much on my end. 

Give the P2s a try if you can. 

21 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

My guess is that the cores in all of the above mentioned brands will be the same.

From a manufacturing standpoint, I've gotta imagine it's cheaper to do one bulk order in all their size runs of a single type of pad core than to buy less and downgrade to a cheaper foam for the senior line.

Well the core for the P2 to P2.9's are different solely due to the inclusion of the "MAXREBOUND TECHNOLOGY OMG". That orange stuff. Is speedskin present on their senior line?

While I know the Bauer stuff does differentiate itself on the outside, I'd imagine that the internals differ from senior to pro as well.

Vaughn and Warrior definitely differ in internals between senior and pro.

I don't know enough about Brians to comment.

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Well the core for the P2 to P2.9's are different solely due to the inclusion of the "MAXREBOUND TECHNOLOGY OMG". That orange stuff. Is speedskin present on their senior line?

While I know the Bauer stuff does differentiate itself on the outside, I'd imagine that the internals differ from senior to pro as well.

Vaughn and Warrior definitely differ in internals between senior and pro.

I don't know enough about Brians to comment.

I should have clarified -

P2s have a thin layer of the yellow Max Rebound material (orange is D30 for impact absorption)
I wanna say Bauer is using CURV
Vaughn will have a carbon layer

But the bulk of the pad is still an EPP foam or whatever else type of foam core, which is probably ordered in bulk

22 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I should have clarified -

P2s have a thin layer of the yellow Max Rebound material (orange is D30 for impact absorption)
I wanna say Bauer is using CURV
Vaughn will have a carbon layer

But the bulk of the pad is still an EPP foam or whatever else type of foam core, which is probably ordered in bulk

I gotcha now.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and input.
I think I will the stick with the Premier line and check on some P2s.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:35 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

I had the P1 and now P2...the P2 by far are so much better than the P1. Trust me, you will love it. The P1s are so much heavier and stiffer....I didn't mind it but the difference just wow. They did ride too high the P1s, plus 2 was way too much on my end. 

Give the P2s a try if you can. 

My RBK Premier 2 right now are 36+1. Should I consider the same size for the P2s? Or do the P2s ride completely different than the old Premier 2s?

3 minutes ago, Flo321 said:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and input.
I think I will the stick with the Premier line and check on some P2s.

My RBK Premier 2 right now are 36+1. Should I consider the same size for the P2s? Or do the P2s ride completely different than the old Premier 2s?

Are you able to try some in store? I'd say stick to 36+1. 

How many inches from the ground to mid knee?

On 5/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, Chenner29 said:

I know that some companies use different cores, but there is some overlap 

22 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Are you able to try some in store? I'd say stick to 36+1. 

How many inches from the ground to mid knee?

Will try and check some stores.
Pro and Senior have same sizing? Chance is higher to find some senior pads.

Ground to mid of the knee is 58cm = 22.8"

13 minutes ago, Flo321 said:

Will try and check some stores.
Pro and Senior have same sizing? Chance is higher to find some senior pads.

Ground to mid of the knee is 58cm = 22.8"

Should be same sizing yes. In stores it will be. 

I'm at 20 and take 34, you should be good at 36+1

• 4 weeks later...

I transitioned from Reebok P3s to the Bauer 2S.  It’s been an awesome change.  I’m glad I stayed with the stiff profile (stuff to Reebok to extra stiff with 2s) than going to a softer pad like a Vaughn.  The rebounds literally rocket off the pad.  Sometime it almost seems like the exit velocity is faster than the shot itself.  Doesn’t hurt that pads are 20% lighter these days so you probably can’t go wrong.  If you’re looking for the least possible difference, I’d go CCM Premier 2, but the eflex line would feel familiar too.  If you want to keep the really stiff profile and open to trying something new, go with the 2S.  If you want to try Vaughn for a more traditional, softer pad, go for it.  These are all amazing pads.  

• 2 months later...

Update:
Result of my search are P2s in 36+1 via one of the Facebook groups.
Additionally I found some P1 gloves (590 break).

The pads do not have leg straps, and no boot strap. Also I installed pro laces.
Hope I can join one of the team practices next week. Really looking forward to trying them on the ice.

Thanks again to all for your input.

20190905_10701.JPG

Archived