Custom Pro vs. stock Pro gear costs?

Lucky Pucker

I have no experience with ordering custom gear (there's a compelling correlation with my having no experience with playing goalie well/effectively/properly, but I digress).

Just wondering what the cost difference is between buying stock form a store, or getting the same gear done custom, in terms of a ballpark figure/percentage.

For example, I could buy this stock from a retailer for $1500. BUT, I could also customize this same pad through Brian's. My dilemma is that my LHS has a set of Gnetik 4s in my size and colour, so if custom ordering the 3s is almost the same cost, well then... screw that shit.

Thoughts...?

image.png.ca751086c6ef321c50f014d3d004e4cc.png

To put it simply, the difference between off the shelf pro gear and custom pro gear is colour.

For your scenario, if you wanted a Genetik3 with custom colours, you'd be paying for a Genetik4 with the same flex specs and a custom Genetik 3 graphic. This would cost you more than a standard Genetik 4 due to the "custom" graphic. (Granted, I'm not 100% sure on this, but it's an educated guess).

While other companies offer a menu of spec options when ordering custom gear at no additional cost (CCM is king), you are essentially getting the same pad from the factory or off the shelf.

A good general rule is if you ask them the design and make and attach something different than their current model, you're going to pay extra on top of what the base cost is for that current piece.

For example,  I recently ordered a custom glove .  I had the base price which is the exact price as the retail stock glove and this covered all my color choices.

But, I had them design and make and apply a completely different wrist strap than what is on stock,  so that added $35. 

This was through Vaughn and they also charge extra for embroidery,  but I think they are the only company to do that. 

17 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

To put it simply, the difference between off the shelf pro gear and custom pro gear is colour.

For your scenario, if you wanted a Genetik3 with custom colours, you'd be paying for a Genetik4 with the same flex specs and a custom Genetik 3 graphic. This would cost you more than a standard Genetik 4 due to the "custom" graphic. (Granted, I'm not 100% sure on this, but it's an educated guess).

While other companies offer a menu of spec options when ordering custom gear at no additional cost (CCM is king), you are essentially getting the same pad from the factory or off the shelf.

Ok, so I think this is confirming what I suspected/was hoping: that if I don't go off script, it should cost the same as the off-the-shelf...? I don't actually care too much about the spec differences between the 3 and 4, but the 4s at my LHS have a few colour zones that i would change if I could. But not to the poitn where getting 3s would end up costing more just to change the colour of the B-Star!

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

A good general rule is if you ask them the design and make and attach something different than their current model, you're going to pay extra on top of what the base cost is for that current piece.

For example,  I recently ordered a custom glove .  I had the base price which is the exact price as the retail stock glove and this covered all my color choices.

But, I had them design and make and apply a completely different wrist strap than what is on stock,  so that added $35. 

This was through Vaughn and they also charge extra for embroidery,  but I think they are the only company to do that. 

This sounds like what I'm thinking; charge me the retail price of a pair of 3s, but let me choose from your available colours, no special additions or changes to the gear itself.

I know I could/should ask my LHS guy, but i haven't been able to get over there in a while since my daughter and I are the only ones in the house who are playing now.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Ok, so I think this is confirming what I suspected/was hoping: that if I don't go off script, it should cost the same as the off-the-shelf...? I don't actually care too much about the spec differences between the 3 and 4, but the 4s at my LHS have a few colour zones that i would change if I could. But not to the poitn where getting 3s would end up costing more just to change the colour of the B-Star!

This sounds like what I'm thinking; charge me the retail price of a pair of 3s, but let me choose from your available colours, no special additions or changes to the gear itself.

I know I could/should ask my LHS guy, but i haven't been able to get over there in a while since my daughter and I are the only ones in the house who are playing now.

You won't be able to get the 3's anymore. I'm fairly certain that most pad manufactures don't carry too much (if any) actual completed stock SKU's.

So the price point you're seeing for the 3's is the retail shop trying to liquidate their old stock. If you want anything in custom colours, it's going to be a current lineup offering from Brians.

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You won't be able to get the 3's anymore. I'm fairly certain that most pad manufactures don't carry too much (if any) actual completed stock SKU's.

So the price point you're seeing for the 3's is the retail shop trying to liquidate their old stock. If you want anything in custom colours, it's going to be a current lineup offering from Brians.

Makes sense, and I didn't think I could get the 3s anymore either - yet lo and behold, the Brian's customizer has the 3s as an option still:

https://www.goalies-only.com/brians-customizers/g-netik-pro-3/index.php

That's the only reason I'm considering the 3s as a potentially cheaper option (although I'm still working on my "but Honey, I need these new pads called G-netik IV!" narrative)

Maybe they just haven't updated that part of the site?

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Makes sense, and I didn't think I could get the 3s anymore either - yet lo and behold, the Brian's customizer has the 3s as an option still:

https://www.goalies-only.com/brians-customizers/g-netik-pro-3/index.php

Maybe they just haven't updated that part of the site?

While I doubt they'd still offer the 3's as a normal package, if they did, I'd assume that the price point would remain in line withe Genetik4's.

At that point, you're paying the same price for an older pad. Unless you REALLY like the Genetik3 graphic. :P

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

While I doubt they'd still offer the 3's as a normal package, if they did, I'd assume that the price point would remain in line withe Genetik4's.

At that point, you're paying the same price for an older pad. Unless you REALLY like the Genetik3 graphic. :P

Nah, man - not sure I could even tell the difference between the two graphics, TBH! This is all about trying to get new pads at a cheaper price than what I paid for my first 2 cars combined (!)

Ordering from Brian’s via the Goalie crease was cheaper than stock pricing at my local store and Pro Hockey life . They only charged for one of the many mods that I made on my order and of course no charge to pick custom colours on my Genetik 4s

If there is no (or only a minimal) price difference go G-IV for sure.  It's lighter, thinner, and just a nicer all-around pad.  Not sure if you're looking at glove and blocker as well, but IMHO the glove is absolutely my favorite Brian's glove ever.  To be honest I think it's the only one I think I could use well.  I struggled with an original SubZero and a Gnetik 2, but the break and pocket location on the G-IV are right where I like them.  The BOA system is the best closure on the market in terms of being adjustable and staying secure. 

There is only one reason why I will order custom versus waiting for gear to go on sale: to get the colours and specs I want. Otherwise, I will wait for all white to go on sale! Rarely do the colours I want go on sale, but will snap it up if they do! I will pay for what I really want. I am in the queue for a kelly green Factory Mad catch glove with extra backhand protection. That is something I will pay full freight and wait over three months to get.

I will not buy first run Brian’s Optik37 (or whatever it is) pads in all white for full price. There will be ten sets at three different retailers at 30% off if I wait a year. 

23 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

If there is no (or only a minimal) price difference go G-IV for sure.  It's lighter, thinner, and just a nicer all-around pad.  Not sure if you're looking at glove and blocker as well, but IMHO the glove is absolutely my favorite Brian's glove ever.  To be honest I think it's the only one I think I could use well.  I struggled with an original SubZero and a Gnetik 2, but the break and pocket location on the G-IV are right where I like them.  The BOA system is the best closure on the market in terms of being adjustable and staying secure. 

Cheers @Puckstopper! Yeah, I actually bought the G-NETik 8 senior blocker/trapper (no BOA) back in January. Super happy with them, and got a great deal, but then my LHS guy got the G-NETik IV blocker and trapper in. Of course I tried them on (what else do you do while your skates are being sharpened?) Like... WOW! But while I think I can manage to get new pro pads without getting a “free with purchase” divorce, blocker trapper right now is a non-starter. 

I did tell my wife recently that I’m never going to claim “...but this will be the last X-Y-Z,” because it’s pure bullshit. I will continue to want new gear frequently, as I waited 39 years to get into this, so maybe the G-NETik IV gloves are still a medium-term possibility. Or I’ll justify getting the Vs at that point - lol!

22 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

There is only one reason why I will order custom versus waiting for gear to go on sale: to get the colours and specs I want. Otherwise, I will wait for all white to go on sale! Rarely do the colours I want go on sale, but will snap it up if they do! I will pay for what I really want. I am in the queue for a kelly green Factory Mad catch glove with extra backhand protection. That is something I will pay full freight and wait over three months to get.

I will not buy first run Brian’s Optik37 (or whatever it is) pads in all white for full price. There will be ten sets at three different retailers at 30% off if I wait a year. 

This is way too fucking practical and responsible and logical, @bunnyman666! LMAO! 

I’m really just being difficult; I want tri-colour, and pro level (partly because I’m technically in a pro level pad now, and partly just because I want it.) BUT, I want all of that for as cheap as possible. I figure that at this point, as long as I don’t lose the wife or the house over it, and continue to do right by the kids, I should get what I want. 

Archived