Game ready palm more protective than pro palm? (Theory)

Jonathon v

Would it make sense that a game ready palm gives you less stingers than a pro palm? My logic would be that I have heard because a game ready is easier to close, the puck actually hits your palm less with that slight bit of a fraction quicker closure. I have heard hockey reviews ca say this I think, with his pro palm optik not being super protective. 

Game ready is what it sounds like: ready to play. Pro palms are beefed up, but not like a practise palm. Some would argue that most of us would not need a pro palm, especially since a game ready would be better for us’n’s. 

In theory, a pro palm should give fewer stingers. But the question is this: is the game ready a pro palm that was broken in or is it a completely different composition? I know a few guys that don’t like it when they don’t feel the shot in the palm. I needed damned near a practise palm when I was the tender in a hockey 101 class and the teacher was an AHL-er. I felt EVERYTHING in most everything I wore when facing this guy’s wrister, let alone his slapper!

edit- I may have it turned around. I have never bought any Game Ready or Practise palms. 

No, that makes no sense at all.   Pro/Practice palms are to protect you when the puck hits you in the palm, not the pocket.   When the puck hits you in the palm being able to close the glove quicker will do absolutely nothing to dissipate the impact.  By the time you can consider closing the glove the impact has already occurred. 

Bunny, I know at least one company (and I can't remember which off the top of my head) broke down the construction of their palms in the catalogs I've seen at work.  Game ready was a different, thinner piece of felt than a pro palm.  Practice palm was 2 pieces of the game ready felt.  I'll poke around and get pictures of the catalog next time I work.

5 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

No, that makes no sense at all.   Pro/Practice palms are to protect you when the puck hits you in the palm, not the pocket.   When the puck hits you in the palm being able to close the glove quicker will do absolutely nothing to dissipate the impact.  By the time you can consider closing the glove the impact has already occurred. 

Makes sense. Just a theory by me on 2 hours of sleep. I was just wondering  why a game ready gnetik 4 seems more protective and better closing than my pro palm optik. 

7 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Bunny, I know at least one company (and I can't remember which off the top of my head) broke down the construction of their palms in the catalogs I've seen at work.  Game ready was a different, thinner piece of felt than a pro palm.  Practice palm was 2 pieces of the game ready felt.  I'll poke around and get pictures of the catalog next time I work.

Thank you.

Weirdly enough, I have only bought new gloves with no labels on the palms. Factory Mad has a velcro’d on insert to add more protection; you could most likely order an extra thick insert to get a practise palm- after all, Factory has a Burger King mentality for having it your way. Vaughn never labelled whether it was game ready, pro or practise palm for retail; I am certain you could order any type of palm when going custom. 

The Gnetik 4 is one of the best closing gloves I've ever seen right out of the box so I understand it closing better.  As far as feeling more protective:  Maybe the slightly different pocket location on the G4 is leading to more pucks hitting the pocket and missing the palm?

2 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

I have heard hockey reviews ca say this I think, with his pro palm optik not being super protective. 

i take everything matt says with a grain of salt. Ive watched his videos for a while, and while he makes good content for sure, i feel like he tries to find issues with pieces of gear. Game ready palms from brians are used by their pros. if somethings protective enough for a pro, its more than enough for a beer leaguer. 

On 5/28/2019 at 8:26 AM, Jonathon v said:

Would it make sense that a game ready palm gives you less stingers than a pro palm? My logic would be that I have heard because a game ready is easier to close, the puck actually hits your palm less with that slight bit of a fraction quicker closure. I have heard hockey reviews ca say this I think, with his pro palm optik not being super protective. 

You need to stop believing everything you see on the internet.

• 1 month later...

Dear TGN,

Hey! I was going to ask you on your story if you posted a question sticker, but I was looking through your TGN spec Q&A on your story highlights, and I just wanted to know what the difference between a pro palm, and a game ready break is. I see that you suggested the game ready break. I’m asking because I could possibly be getting a new glove and blocker in the near future. My parents say I could get the pro level because my hands aren’t going to grow anymore and I want to get the right customs. My heart’s set on the EF4 glove and blocker right now. I currently have the EF2 860 glove and I want a similar feel to that. I’m pretty sure it’s a 600 break so I want to get as close to that as I can. I also don’t like taking stingers to the palm and I’m pretty sure the EF4 will definitely help with that. I play Midget AAA, What do you think the best option would be for me?

Thank you!

@Jonathon v I took a quick picture of the Catch Glove page of the My Bauer catalog which shows how they layer from Game Ready all the way to Practice Palm. Personally, I just ordered 2 gloves w/ my new set... Pro Palm w/ Reinforced Single T and Skate Lace pocket. I'm sure the Game Ready is fine... but I'm just used to Pro Palms and actually sort of enjoy the break in process. Like @mr_shifty1982 said, I still get the occasional stinger, but that'll happen. 

image.thumb.png.3c5e12a8abcdde80891cc2cd98efa027.png

Full page:

image.thumb.png.48a82fd6c2d94d4642bd7040251263fa.png

You can't compare the G-Netik 4 to any other glove on the market because it closes better than any glove on the market. My Pro Palm G-netik closes better than the game ready Optik I tried in store. Brian's just did a masterful job with the glove, it really does blow away the Optik catcher IMO.

Archived