Joe Messina

Second String Leather Company

All... I have said it before and I will say it again...

If you don't like the topic, just skip over it. You know what is on this thread, so don't open it if you're not interested.

• The feedback that a different post for every pic was too much was a great suggestion and it's down to one thread
  • The suggestion that Joe share some more Bandits content with everyone was also taken to heart and we have seen Joe share more on ice stuff.

be fair at this point, there should be no issue with him sharing a goalie related product.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

be fair at this point, there should be no issue with him sharing a goalie related product.

Sharing and spamming are two very different things. I don't think anyone really has an issue with Joe advertising a product, but mostly about the manner it's being done. We don't need daily, let alone weekly updates to this post. Especially since there aren't any actual updates, he's just spamming his own thread so that it remains at the top of "Latest".

Either way, I've said my piece about this advertising and I won't touch on it any further. I just hope you guys can see where we are coming from when we are voicing our displeasure/concern to how this is just accepted.

I do believe this isn't the first time the issues of advertising practices on this site have been brought up.

• Thanks 1

Everyday I see about 15 threads on this forum that I don't want to read — it's very easy to skip over them, and ignore them. Most of the threads I do want to look at end up getting buried back a page or two — and it's very easy to go find them. This is such a non-issue, and while I did agree with a lot of the original comments on the integrity of the material acquisition and some of the posting techniques, it feels like people just want to complain at this point. 

If you are not interested in the product and you're visiting this page, it's your fault for clicking. If you are bothered by the fact that you always have to *scroll past a single thread* on your keypad/mouse, then I don't know what to tell you... that's not a real problem. People are too accustomed to being able to curate their own perfect little news/social media feeds, where only the things they want to see are placed in front of them (you'll still get ads for things you don't care about). In real life, we are exposed to ads/content that we don't want to see hundreds of times a day. It's very easy to ignore it all. This is no different — act accordingly.

Lastly, @TheGoalNet has done us all a big favor by stepping up and creating this community, which has done a remarkable job at filling the niche void left by the old GSBB. It is a good forum — but it's not a utopia, and nobody is owed anything, no matter how often they use it or how much they contribute. I think our administrator has made it clear that they are fine with how this thread fits into the overall purpose of the forum, and that they want people to move on from the issue. People should respect that.

20 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Everyday I see about 15 threads on this forum that I don't want to read — it's very easy to skip over them, and ignore them. Most of the threads I do want to look at end up getting buried back a page or two — and it's very easy to go find them. This is such a non-issue, and while I did agree with a lot of the original comments on the integrity of the material acquisition and some of the posting techniques, it feels like people just want to complain at this point. 

If you are not interested in the product and you're visiting this page, it's your fault for clicking. If you are bothered by the fact that you always have to *scroll past a single thread* on your keypad/mouse, then I don't know what to tell you... that's not a real problem. People are too accustomed to being able to curate their own perfect little news/social media feeds, where only the things they want to see are placed in front of them (you'll still get ads for things you don't care about). In real life, we are exposed to ads/content that we don't want to see hundreds of times a day. It's very easy to ignore it all. This is no different — act accordingly.

Lastly, @TheGoalNet has done us all a big favor by stepping up and creating this community, which has done a remarkable job at filling the niche void left by the old GSBB. It is a good forum — but it's not a utopia, and nobody is owed anything, no matter how often they use it or how much they contribute. I think our administrator has made it clear that they are fine with how this thread fits into the overall purpose of the forum, and that they want people to move on from the issue. People should respect that.

@stackem30 - Your point about the customized news thread is a great point. This is where the BB format is lacking. It also raises another part of the problem here.

I think people are giving @Joe Messina too much credit here (Sorry Joe!). I don't think Joe is intentionally coming on here to spam people or to keep his thread at the top of the "latest list". I have a feeling SSLC is selling well because of IG and not our .com.

Joe is used to the IG world where people follow you by choice and expect you to create content for them daily. The BB beats to a bit more of a traditional drum.

21 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Sharing and spamming are two very different things. I don't think anyone really has an issue with Joe advertising a product, but mostly about the manner it's being done. We don't need daily, let alone weekly updates to this post. Especially since there aren't any actual updates, he's just spamming his own thread so that it remains at the top of "Latest".

Either way, I've said my piece about this advertising and I won't touch on it any further. I just hope you guys can see where we are coming from when we are voicing our displeasure/concern to how this is just accepted.

I do believe this isn't the first time the issues of advertising practices on this site have been brought up.

Exactly.  Every time I open up this page, it's in the latest, which pushes a more useful thread off the front page.  But hey, it's your site.  I'll just go on hiatus for a while.  At least on other sites, they don't pretend it's not just advertising.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

Exactly.  Every time I open up this page, it's in the latest, which pushes a more useful thread off the front page.  But hey, it's your site.  I'll just go on hiatus for a while.  At least on other sites, they don't pretend it's not just advertising.  

Joe is NOT paying me. The only form of paid for ads on this site are banner ads. That is all automated and I have no idea who is going to pop up as an add.

With that said, @Joe Messina is sharing his newest project. He is used to Instagram where making a daily post is a "requirement" of running a successful page. He is basically re-sharing IG posts with us. If his posts also double as ads, then so be it. I don't have a problem with people in the goalie community sharing/selling things that might be of interest to other goalies. In my opinion, that's part of the community.

Joe was one of the first people to step up and help this place create original content, which helps drive traffic here, and which in turn helped the site become sustainable. It's taken nearly 3 years to get 1000 members on our website. By contrast, the IG page has almost 20,000 followers. If the numbers don't make it obvious, the .com world is sorta dying if you're not already established.

If we are going to act like like a bunch of curmudgeons because someone wants to re share stuff that might help him sell a product, then this site is going to stale very quickly. Although some of @Max27 and @Jonathon v 's posts leave me scratching my head, I am happy to see young blood that is excited about equipment and here to learn.

If we act like assholes to them, they are going to disappear. That is going to turn this place into a bunch of over 40+ guys chatting gear and someone might as well start an iMessage or What's App thread. By contrast, if we are constructive and helpful with the kids, hopefully more will sign up or people who watch the website and don't comment will build up the confidence to chime in.

This site isn't going anywhere, but I honestly think people need to chill out. You have one of the top goalie instructors and entrepreneurs of accessories taking time every day to comment on the site.  That's a great thing. I can assure you if chirp Joe aggressively here and then ask a question on one of the Bandit's threads, he's not going to respond. It's awesome that Joe, @Kirk3190 , @Tim_TRUEHockey etc take the time to be here. I think we need not take that for granted.

For the last time... If you don't like this thread, stop looking at it. If you don't like it you're not missing anything. If he occupies 1 space on The Latest for 1/2 a day, the world is not going to come crashing down and the community aspect of the website is not destroyed. This place is not the GSBB or any other bulletin board. We are allowed to do stuff our own way.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

... That is going to turn this place into a bunch of over 40+ guys chatting gear and someone might as well start an iMessage or What's App thread. By contrast, if we are constructive and helpful with the kids, hopefully more will sign up or people who watch the website and don't comment will build up the confidence to chime in. 

As a 40 "very plus" guy , I take exception to this. As far as "being constructive" is concerned, there are a lot more ways to that than just talking about how all the latest super-light-carbon-filled-ultra-rebounding-mega-sliding gear is going to make me a super hot goalie that the NHL will not be able to resist drafting (spoiler alert: is won't).

Last time I checked skill and  technique had something to do with it....I originally came to is site in hopes of (at least some of the time) watching others' goaltending videos, discussing issues with their game, learn from others and hopefully offer what little input I could - seems I have gone to the wrong spot. For all reading this: people vote with their feet, so ultimately, the populace gets what they want, or at least will put up with...

I cannot believe the amount of flack this thread is getting.  Do you guys read every thread on this site?  I do.  Well, maybe not all, I read most but I do at least skim through every single thread.  Do you know how much useless dumb shit is posted here sometimes?  There are plenty more useless threads than this one pushing good content down the list.  Seriously, get over yourselves.  Just skip past it and move on to the next one.

31 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I cannot believe the amount of flack this thread is getting.  Do you guys read every thread on this site?  I do.  Well, maybe not all, I read most but I do at least skim through every single thread.  Do you know how much useless dumb shit is posted here sometimes?  There are plenty more useless threads than this one pushing good content down the list.  Seriously, get over yourselves.  Just skip past it and move on to the next one.

There may be "useless dumb shit" posted by others, but the difference is none of those people stand to make a buck.

Oh and BTW, especially as a moderator, calling out the people who make the forum what it is pretty well the becomes textbook definition of shooting yourself in the foot....

1 minute ago, Colander said:

There may be "useless dumb shit" posted by others, but the difference is none of those people stand to make a buck.

Oh and BTW, especially as a moderator, calling out the people who make the forum what it is pretty well the becomes textbook definition of shooting yourself in the foot....

I didn't call anyone out.  Do you see any usernames in my post?  I don't.  

@Colander After just finishing Chernobyl, I can assure you our community is very far from Soviet Russia. Why are we so opposed to Joe potentially making a dollar or two?

If he hijacked other people's threads and said, "go buy SSLC", we'd have an issue. That would be abusive spam. But if he starts his own thread to share something about his project and promote it, why is that an issue?

Not anyone specifically,  no.  By claiming there are " plenty more useless threads than this one" and that there is "useless dumb shit" posted it is directly implied. Some one or "ones" had to make those threads and post those comments. Spitting hairs over how you define it doesn't make any difference to the final implications

Just now, Colander said:

Not anyone specifically,  no.  By claiming there are " plenty more useless threads than this one" and that there is "useless dumb shit" posted it is directly implied. Some one or "ones" had to make those threads and post those comments. Spitting hairs over how you define it doesn't make any difference to the final implications

I'm pretty sure everyone is in agreement that there is some useless stuff posted here.  It happens everywhere.  There is no website, or facebook group, or IG page/post/comment thread, etc that is immune to some kind of useless information.  Stop already.  Stop trying to find things to be offended by.

@TheGoalNet: You are absolutely correct. This is not communist Russia - this is your site and you have every right to do with it whatever you wish. There has been a back-and-forth on this thread and a number of times where the question has been asked as to why people are taking issue with the what is happening here in.  I am merely providing my feedback (based on my personal opinion) on why there has  been a level of backlash. I will also re-iterate that it is my opinion - I expect there to be an "approval-disapproval" spectrum.

8 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm pretty sure everyone is in agreement that there is some useless stuff posted here.  It happens everywhere.  There is no website, or facebook group, or IG page/post/comment thread, etc that is immune to some kind of useless information.  Stop already.  Stop trying to find things to be offended by.

I agree with everything you said in this last post, with the exception of the last sentence - I a m not trying to find stuff to be offended by, just offering my opinion to the question being posed.

In all actuality, this thread is up to 7 pages now mainly because of it's controversy. I think for a lot of people it's like a car crash - you should look away but you just can't...😀

Just now, Colander said:

I agree with everything you said in this last post, with the exception of the last sentence - I a m not trying to find stuff to be offended by, just offering my opinion to the question being posed.

In all actuality, this thread is up to 7 pages now mainly because of it's controversy. I think for a lot of people it's like a car crash - you should look away but you just can't...😀

Ugh, I hate rubberneckers lol :rofl:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Colander said:

@TheGoalNet: You are absolutely correct. This is not communist Russia - this is your site and you have every right to do with it whatever you wish. There has been a back-and-forth on this thread and a number of times where the question has been asked as to why people are taking issue with the what is happening here in.  I am merely providing my feedback (based on my personal opinion) on why there has  been a level of backlash. I will also re-iterate that it is my opinion - I expect there to be an "approval-disapproval" spectrum.

Hopefully it’s clear the joke about Russia is meant to bring some light to this situation. I personally feel people are taking this thread too seriously and getting bent out of shape about something they could easily ignore 

I took the suggestions about the number of posts around this topic. Joe took the feedback about contributing more of his Bandits content and is doing that. 

So compromise and suggestions from the community  has prevailed here

1 hour ago, Colander said:

As a 40 "very plus" guy , I take exception to this. As far as "being constructive" is concerned, there are a lot more ways to that than just talking about how all the latest super-light-carbon-filled-ultra-rebounding-mega-sliding gear is going to make me a super hot goalie that the NHL will not be able to resist drafting (spoiler alert: is won't).

Last time I checked skill and  technique had something to do with it....I originally came to is site in hopes of (at least some of the time) watching others' goaltending videos, discussing issues with their game, learn from others and hopefully offer what little input I could - seems I have gone to the wrong spot. For all reading this: people vote with their feet, so ultimately, the populace gets what they want, or at least will put up with...

I think you have missed the beauty of of the site maybe?

It’s not supposed to be any 1 thing in particular. 

It’s supposed to have something for every goalie. Pick what you’re interested in, start topics, and communicate with others interested in the same thing. 

If you personally don’t care about the latest gear reviews, then skip them. Ask questions about your own game in the technique sections and ask questions of guys who post videos of themselves playing.

Only using those sections of the site should provide you exactly what you’re looking for. 

As for the over 40 comment, there’s a reality that once you hit that age... you probably have very limited time left between the pipes. I’ve spent a lot of time and some money getting this place going and I don’t want it to die like GSBB did. To be sustainable long term, we need youth and new members. That’s just a reality of sustainability. It wasn't meant to offend anyone, but it was phrased in a manner that I hoped would get people’s attention. Getting younger members is the number 1 hurdle I think this website may have for living a long life. 

35 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

As for the over 40 comment, there’s a reality that once you hit that age... you probably have very limited time left between the pipes.

Yikes - I passed that one 21 years ago and am still there , so not too sure about your definition of "very limited time"

42 minutes ago, Colander said:

Yikes - I passed that one 21 years ago and am still there , so not too sure about your definition of "very limited time"

Some of us are gifted with the right combination of genetics, style and situation to keep going.  But the reality is that it's a position that can put a lot of stress on some key joints (especially in the modern style) if you don't take care of yourself, or you just don't have the right mix of people to play with anymore.

Congrats by the way, I can only hope to still be playing for another 30 years

59 minutes ago, Colander said:

You my friend may be a massive exception to the rule or don't RVH or both!!! It is awesome that you are playing still and that's great. I am not knocking people who play past 40... just being realistic about a numbers game

News Alert - Looking to get someone a truly unique gift but unsure what they might want from Second String Leather Company, now we offer GIFT CARDS! Available NOW on our website just in time for Father’s Day!  www.secondstringleather.com
Find Us On Facebook & Instagram: Second String Leather Company

image.thumb.png.05b9511bce1bc24d738a13b0c1f65ae0.png