Warrior R/GT2 VS Warrior G4

kyledjean

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The ARS will loosen up a bit, but don't hold out on them changing too much. 

If you find the ARS too tight, look into different toe options. I've seen guys stick with skate lace, or many people have gone to pro laces too. 

Coop is right... I switched to Pro Laces.  Another hack is to add a key ring to add some extra length

On 6/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, kyledjean said:

Do you guys find the active response straps loosen up after a while. I tried a pair on and those straps just seem so tight. I was able to find out, awesomely, that today’s sizing is a lot different then it used to be. My 36” epics are actually almost the same size as 33” warriors. And since I am not growing anymore I can actually go down one more size which brings me into a 32” which is intermediate which is nice since it’s a significant price break.

I had to install new strap after 1,5 years, difference between new one and used one is night and day. Toe straps are really tight but will loosen up.

Ok. Since I tried them on they were super tight. Like no play at all. I actually had a very tough time clipping them in they were so tight. I have only ever used skate laces before. I tried the knotting tech and hated the sloppiness of the pad. What I am trying to find is a way to be able to get the skate as close to the ice as possible in the butterfly (like they way the pro pads seem to be every time you catch the backside of their pad in the butterfly) but I still want a "tight" feel with the pad ie i don't want the pad to be able to slide around just lightly touching it, if that makes sense. Would I get the feeling I am looking for using prolaces? I also have yet to pull the trigger on a new set yet. So many choices its kinda overwhelming. I am coming from primarily wearing the McKenney traditional pad, to going to the epics. I love my epics but they are super heavy and starting to have the stitching fall apart around the toe area, and the japro is peeling away in places. So far I have "narrowed" it down to either Premier 2,9, eflex 4.9, g4, gt2, slr2. I would say I am 90% a butterfly goalie. At the time the epics were a super stiff pad, no external breaks other than the ankle, fairly hot rebounds for the time. It is also kinda crazy to me that pad prices have pretty much doubled as back then $999.00 was the most expensive pads got, even with what limited customization they did back then. I also find sizing to be almost comical when comparing. AS my 36" new are about the same size as 32"-33" today. 

On 6/9/2019 at 10:46 AM, kyledjean said:

Do you guys find the active response straps loosen up after a while. I tried a pair on and those straps just seem so tight. I was able to find out, awesomely, that today’s sizing is a lot different then it used to be. My 36” epics are actually almost the same size as 33” warriors. And since I am not growing anymore I can actually go down one more size which brings me into a 32” which is intermediate which is nice since it’s a significant price break.

One thing I've heard of a lot of people doing is adding a key ring to the anchor point to add some length. 

• 8 months later...

Sorry if this has been covered all before, but I have a couple questions...

1. I am currently in pretty soft Simmons pad and my big concern is that I will get the G4/5 and they will be WAY to stiff for me and I wont be able to move around in them well. I don't really play a hybrid style more of butterfly and scramble. I know that the G4's will eventually breakdown and get softer but do they ever get THAT soft? I personally don't like really soft pads and one of the main reasons why I want to get a new set, my current pads give of weak rebounds that are just far enough that I cant reach and they lay there in the slot. My first pair of pads were RBK 9k's that were pretty stiff then I moved onto Simmons. Those are my only pad experiences and I'm relatively new to the goalie game.

2. Sizing: I went to my local hockey shop and tried on some G4's and got some different feedback. I am currently in 34+2 pads and according to warriors sizing chart I'm right on the borderline of a 33 or a 34, but when I tried on the 33 my knee was landing almost at the very top of the stack and the 34's were better but still landing a little high. The worker (monkey sports) said I could even get away with a 35, but the 34's already felt really big and stiff on me and I couldn't see myself in a 35. I'm sure after breaking them in they wont feel as cumbersome and stiff. After playing for a while in them do they settle or break down that much that I should be worried about the 34's being too small? I would hate to drop some money on a set of pads and have them settle and be too small on me. I think the 34's fit me well but the outside opinion has me a little concerned. I also was just trying the pads on some rubber mats so couldn't move my legs around that much and without my pants/ PAW knee pads, I did have my skates on though.

3. Breaks: my other concern is that the G4'/5' will be too stiff for me and I wont be able to close them in my BF. I don't have the widest BF or the greatest hip mobility, but I am currently working on both of those. I read that the GT/2's are suppose to be a softer bad with torsion flex in the boot area and come stock with a single outer break and play more "traditional". I don't want to be stuck in the same boat I am now with a super soft pad after it has settled. If I was to get a G4/5 with a single outer break would it break in and be easier to control/ move?

I have read the big differences between the two pads, I just don't want to be stuck with a pad that is way to stiff for me or one that will soften up to the point that its like I have my old pads on. what drives me towards the G4/5 line is that they are more BF style pad and will give of big rebounds and slide really well. I like the look of the GT/2's but worried they will be too soft and don't slide as well.

@Quadzilla32 The term "Hybrid" is absolutely misused... Pads are now stiff or soft.  I believe that the G5 line will offer core options but if you're looking for an easier transition you're better off in the GT line with the torsional flex.

Sizing, go smaller - I have a 19.5 FTK and I was perfect in 33+1.5 pads.  You're more agile in and maneuverable in a shorter pad.

Breaks - Store any Warrior pad upside down and you'll get a nice S Curve.  With the newer pad core plus adding Hypercomp in the GT2 you won't get shrinking  pads.  I had my GT1 Pros for 2 years with zero shrinkage.  GT2s are not nearly as "soft" as you think.  @coopaloop1234 is the expert on GT2.

Warrior pads will essentially slide the same.  The AirSlide on the Ritual Line will be re-desgined on the G5 as well.  Add weave if you're concerned about sliding.

I would also recommend look at the Optik 2 pads from Brians with the FLY or MAX core. 

On 2/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

@Quadzilla32 If you want a softer pad, why not go for a Velocity, GNetik, or Heritage pad? All three of those will play softer than the next in line soft pads (GT2, Eflex). Everything else starts to become stiffer and stiffer.

Is there anything about the Warrior pads that has you leaning that way over the ones mentioned above?

I have always dreamed of having a set of Brian’s but there price tag was always too much for me. I would have to look at the exact price but quick look a full set of custom gnetiks are 2600 and the gt/2 are 1900 and I’m guessing that will be the price point of the G5. 

I don’t want a softer pad in particular that’s what I’m coming from and actually don’t like how soft my pads are. I want a stiffer pad but want to make sure they won’t be to stiff and inhibit my play. 

14 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I have always dreamed of having a set of Brian’s but there price tag was always too much for me. I would have to look at the exact price but quick look a full set of custom gnetiks are 2600 and the gt/2 are 1900 and I’m guessing that will be the price point of the G5. 

You know, I was going to say that you had some incorrect info, but looking at US prices on Goalie Monkey it looks like you're right. In Canada, the price discrepancy between the two lines is a hell of a lot closer.

Brians: $3190 CAD
Warrior: $2910 CAD

You guys are getting hosed on Brian's gear down south. lol

41 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You know, I was going to say that you had some incorrect info, but looking at US prices on Goalie Monkey it looks like you're right. In Canada, the price discrepancy between the two lines is a hell of a lot closer.

Brians: $3190 CAD
Warrior: $2910 CAD

You guys are getting hosed on Brian's gear down south. lol

I can vouch for those prices being off.  If you want Brians take advantage of the exchange rate and hit up @TGC-Rance at the Goal Crease

I wish they had the profile lock on the GT2s.  I (think) I would prefer the toe taper and torsional flex of the GT2, but I had a pair of G3’s and don’t know if I could have closed my five hole consistently without the profile lock.  I’m sure with enough time stored upside-down, the GT2s would take shape,  though.  What are people’s experiences with the different tapers?  I admittedly haven’t the slightest clue other than it’s held that you can get into a deeper crouch with more taper, but the seal isn’t as good.  I’m now in VE8, and play a hybrid style with a butterfly that is not Giggy narrow, but is closer than that than to Bob wide.  I kind of miss many aspects of the Warrior set-up, though, and am thinking of going back.  

48 minutes ago, sescaro said:

I wish they had the profile lock on the GT2s.  I (think) I would prefer the toe taper and torsional flex of the GT2, but I had a pair of G3’s and don’t know if I could have closed my five hole consistently without the profile lock.  I’m sure with enough time stored upside-down, the GT2s would take shape,  though.  What are people’s experiences with the different tapers?  I admittedly haven’t the slightest clue other than it’s held that you can get into a deeper crouch with more taper, but the seal isn’t as good.  I’m now in VE8, and play a hybrid style with a butterfly that is not Giggy narrow, but is closer than that than to Bob wide.  I kind of miss many aspects of the Warrior set-up, though, and am thinking of going back.  

Likely not on G5 either...

if u call the store and not be lazy by looking online at the map price (min advertised price) u can find it way lower. just think all the small stores need volume and has to compete with the big stores without the online social media  presence.

u don't need to use the profile lock on the g3 or g4, it breaks down and stay flex without it.  u  dont go off press down on it that just ruins the pad.

5 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Likely not on G5 either...

I don't feel like it's needed on my GT2 set.  I don't have the world's widest butterfly and am not struggling with closure although I did go an inch longer on the thigh rise to help out.  My set is about 9 months old at this point and they have a nice curve to them.

14 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I don't feel like it's needed on my GT2 set.  I don't have the world's widest butterfly and am not struggling with closure although I did go an inch longer on the thigh rise to help out.  My set is about 9 months old at this point and they have a nice curve to them.

You have a +2 thigh rise or 2.5? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely love the profile lock on my GT pads, if they had it. And that's why I sent them in the mid of season to a shop to get the thighrise curved ie. second break, but hopefully not that much of a soft break. I actually wonder why "hybrid" pads don't have profile lock while they are considered better for transitioning tendys? BF stylers usually seem to have less problems with narrow BF to which the profile lock would give adjustability. (Not to the narrowness but you know) 😜

I had about 4" of opening when in butterfly which gives you a vision of a narrow BF 😝

For being soft or stiff pad, I just love my GT and the stiffness. I'm not able to compare with todays stiff pads, but much better these are than Warrior Messiah, CCM Eflex500 or Vaughn LT88.

I don't remember for sure but wasn't the knee stack attached to pad with velcro? I think I've adjusted mine to get the best possible height out of them. (My pads are 33+1,5" GT)

5 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

I'd definitely love the profile lock on my GT pads, if they had it. And that's why I sent them in the mid of season to a shop to get the thighrise curved ie. second break, but hopefully not that much of a soft break. I actually wonder why "hybrid" pads don't have profile lock while they are considered better for transitioning tendys? BF stylers usually seem to have less problems with narrow BF to which the profile lock would give adjustability. (Not to the narrowness but you know) 😜

I had about 4" of opening when in butterfly which gives you a vision of a narrow BF 😝

For being soft or stiff pad, I just love my GT and the stiffness. I'm not able to compare with todays stiff pads, but much better these are than Warrior Messiah, CCM Eflex500 or Vaughn LT88.

I don't remember for sure but wasn't the knee stack attached to pad with velcro? I think I've adjusted mine to get the best possible height out of them. (My pads are 33+1,5" GT)

Does the profile lock actually work though? I was checking out some brand new pads and was messing with the profile lock and it didn't seem to keep the pads curved at all. It might of been because they weren't broken in yet but IDK.

Well, I tried it out at a local shop but didn't wan't to ruin their G4 pads with excess force to bend the pad and lock it in curved position.

So what I had done to my GT pads was second internal break, or softening atleast, and a profile lock kind of strapping. 

Bad image actually, but here's the new curve and blue circle around the new strap.

I'm having a flu at the moment so on-ice testing will have to wait.

Upgrade job was done here in Finland by Varusteverstas (Known for Kova Goalie brand too).

👍

Screenshot_20200303_190354.jpg

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Does the profile lock actually work though? I was checking out some brand new pads and was messing with the profile lock and it didn't seem to keep the pads curved at all. It might of been because they weren't broken in yet but IDK.

I actually think the Profile Lock might work better on the GT line than the G line based on how nicely my GT2s have softened up.   With that said, I don't think the Profile Lock in necessary on the GT line.  It'll be interesting to see if it's something I want on my G5's with the extra stiff thigh rises I went with.

Archived