Baking true skates

Jonathon v

When I get my true skates and get them baked, how tight should I tie them for all you who have owned them? Hockey reviews I believe said something about not tying them tight when baking, and make sure to tie directly up instead of on an angle(how I usually tie mine) or else the top of the skate where u put ur foot in, could get bent in and it will be almost impossible to get your foot in

1 hour ago, Jonathon v said:

When I get my true skates and get them baked, how tight should I tie them for all you who have owned them? Hockey reviews I believe said something about not tying them tight when baking, and make sure to tie directly up instead of on an angle(how I usually tie mine) or else the top of the skate where u put ur foot in, could get bent in and it will be almost impossible to get your foot in

Uh, no.

The boot is designed to wrap around the top of your foot.

It's not impossible to get your foot in if you work it around a bit.

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Correct.

Ok canyou just watch this video  and skip to 3 minutes he will talk about how it can get ruined I just want to hear ur opinion on that. @Hills do you still think that’s true about true skates say if I got a one piece I shouldn’t tie it tight at all.

59 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

Ok canyou just watch this video  and skip to 3 minutes he will talk about how it can get ruined I just want to hear ur opinion on that. @Hills do you still think that’s true about true skates say if I got a one piece I shouldn’t tie it tight at all.

No, I won’t waste my time with that. I have had these skates for a year and a half and don’t have an issue getting my foot in the boot  

He quit posting here last year, I don’t think he will respond. 

9 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

No, I won’t waste my time with that. I have had these skates for a year and a half and don’t have an issue getting my foot in the boot  

He quit posting here last year, I don’t think he will respond. 

Alright I don’t think I can afford them yet anyways 😂. Gotta wait a little longer 

I would recommend tieing them up 80% percent of what you normally do.  You could damage the boot if you are one of those people that crank there skates super tight!  Reason you do 80% is the top can wrap too much and cause excessive rubbing which is a problem I had.

10 minutes ago, thebigm said:

I would recommend tieing them up 80% percent of what you normally do.  You could damage the boot if you are one of those people that crank there skates super tight!  Reason you do 80% is the top can wrap too much and cause excessive rubbing which is a problem I had.

Arn't you supposed your laces horizontal instead of vertical too? Can't pulling them straight up while the boot is soft damage the eyelets or where the eyelets are connected to the boot?

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Arn't you supposed your laces horizontal instead of vertical too? Can't pulling them straight up while the boot is soft damage the eyelets or where the eyelets are connected to the boot?

I've always been told to do that on every new skate I've gotten.

It's actually a good practice as it's much easier to pull laces tighter like this (in my opinion).

@Jonathon v When baking your skates, do it at about 90% tightness you'd do normally around the foot, and as tight as you'd normally do them around the ankle.

Why? Because your foot expands as you stand up, and expands even more as you start to play. The true boot is stiffer than a rock and there is no wiggle room. If you tie them too tight during the bake, it will mold around your sitting/dry foot. Since the ankle is pure bone, you don't really have to worry about expansion in that area. 

40 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I've always been told to do that on every new skate I've gotten.

It's actually a good practice as it's much easier to pull laces tighter like this (in my opinion).

@Jonathon v When baking your skates, do it at about 90% tightness you'd do normally around the foot, and as tight as you'd normally do them around the ankle.

Why? Because your foot expands as you stand up, and expands even more as you start to play. The true boot is stiffer than a rock and there is no wiggle room. If you tie them too tight during the bake, it will mold around your sitting/dry foot. Since the ankle is pure bone, you don't really have to worry about expansion in that area. 

Why?  Because that's what Scott said in his VH videos when baking the skates lol.  Never though of the expansion portion when standing.  If you tie it really tight up top and the boot wraps too much it could prevent forward flex and its locking your foot down too much and can dig into your leg like mine when getting into your stance.

he mentions 90% Here is the video.

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

and yes you pull the laces horizontal as you can stretch and rip the eyelets it has happened before at work.  Some of the new Bauer player skates may not apply as much as they are injected eyelets.

22 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Uh, no.

The boot is designed to wrap around the top of your foot.

It's not impossible to get your foot in if you work it around a bit.

Just want to show this too. Ya I know I’m paranoid but if this happened to mine because I tied them wrong I would be screwed and not able to play. Some people say pull up some say an angle some say loose some say tight. @Tim_TRUEHockey can you put your input too

2E6A9FC3-9875-4402-9CAA-4622C0F1156D.png

225C50A8-A1E0-4BEA-9198-20DF348B4B40.png

4 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Just want to show this too. Ya I know I’m paranoid but if this happened to mine because I tied them wrong I would be screwed and not able to play. Some people say pull up some say an angle some say loose some say tight. @Tim_TRUEHockey can you put your input too

2E6A9FC3-9875-4402-9CAA-4622C0F1156D.png

225C50A8-A1E0-4BEA-9198-20DF348B4B40.png

@thebigm answered your question as well. He works for a shop and has probably done hundreds of fits for these. 

Archived