Pre-Game Playlist... 🎧

BadAngle41

I’m a pump up guy.  Then I can focus once the blood is flowing.  

Im a Pearl Jam fan so I pick some favorites from their vast live bootleg.( studio versions lack, all bands). Catalog  

A few go to’s  Animal, Evenflow, given to fly.......

Holla (fo a Dolla) by me

Deuce by KISS

Shout it out Loud by KISS

Emma Jayne by me

Marinate by me

She by KISS

Ladies in Waiting by KISS

Plaster Caster by KISS

Heaven’s on Fire by KISS

Gettin out the hood by me

I have this on a loop until I am dressed. KISS and I are tied for my favourite musicians. I am a bit partial to liking my songs better. 

Don’t have really a specific song that gets me going, but I have a techno playlist I made on Spotify that I listen to regularly and before I get on the ice, none of that shitty modern edm and rap kids around my age listen to. I also listen to hard rock on the side as well

Depends on what particular earworm has burrowed into my brain at the moment. One of my stranger moments was a shinny where I played the intro theme for "Mr Bean" on a loop in my head the entire time.

Lately I've been listening to Alice Merton's Mint, so "Lash Out", "Learn To Live", "I Don't Hold a Grudge", and "2 Kids" are the primary songs that are rotating through my head when I'm on the ice. Generally speaking, before a game I'll often be found listening to Metric, The Trews, Dear Rouge, The Raconteurs, JET, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, July Talk, Lindsey Stirling, Kongos, Lorde, Of Monsters And Men, Tegan & Sara, and The Beaches.

Mine music would be calming. I'm only listen to music in the car and it's always classical music (especially fond of Mozart). When I'm on the rink I'm trying to set my mind on the game and I guess sounds and noises from the building helps me to really get into the right mindset.

Beside that after I'm dressed up and still in the locker room and I have time I like to put my cap and hide my face in chest protector (like a turtle :) ) to focus even more.

11 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

On the way to a skate/game or during your own warm up routine... what music do you listen to? Something to pump you up Something to calm you down? 

Reply with a song or your playlist and why... 

Are you frickin kidding me? I LOVE Kings of Convenience! Read a review of them circa 2000, and bought a CD based solely on that review (y'know - back before you could pre-listen to stuff).

For songs on that album I'd personally give the edge to Parallel Lines - but I also love Homesick. Such fantastic stuff! That being said, I have to admit it doesn't get played pre-ice time for me; it reminds me more of rainy afternoons with my wife, some tea and a book.

I'd love to know what else you listen to, @seagoal; KoK is not a reference that many people would drop!

11 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

On the way to a skate/game or during your own warm up routine... what music do you listen to? Something to pump you up Something to calm you down? 

Reply with a song or your playlist and why... 

What a great thread idea!

I lean more towards "pump up." I have a few moods within that though:

• Alex Turner/Arctic Monkeys/Last Shadow Puppets
  • Zeppelin (sometimes there's nothing better)
  • Broadcast (English retro-electronic group - hard to explain)
  • Trip Hop - Portishead/Massive Attack
  • Shoegaze - Slowdive (one of my all-time favs; I'm wearing a t-shirt right now!), Ride, Pale Saints, Catherine Wheel
  • Nu Gaze/Neo-psychedelic - Airiel, Violens/Jorge Elbrecht, DIIV, Alcest, The Daysleepers, Blonde redhead, Melody's Echo Chamber, and more.
  • Old psychedelic/hard rock playlist- The Who, Hendrix, The Byrds, Vanilla Fudge, The Kinks, The Stones, etc.

Specific songs on a pump up playlist:

• Crystal Stilts "Shake the Shackles"
  • Caribou "Melody day"
  • TV on The Radio "Wolf Like Me"
  • Lightfoils "Diastolic"
  • Slowdive "Souvlaki Space Station"
  • Airiel "Cloudburst"

9 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Don’t have really a specific song that gets me going, but I have a techno playlist I made on Spotify that I listen to regularly and before I get on the ice, none of that shitty modern edm and rap kids around my age listen to. I also listen to hard rock on the side as well

There's lots of new rap/edm that's fantastic. Just need to weed through a lot of garbage.

My pump up music is whatever the music guy on any team brings. It ends up defaulting to popular rap on one team, to alternative (RATM, puddle of Mudd, etc) on another, and finally old school classics/country on another.

It all is fine in my book. Except country. God what an awful genre, almost as bad as that K-pop garbage that's increasing in popularity for god knows why.

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Are you frickin kidding me? I LOVE Kings of Convenience! Read a review of them circa 2000, and bought a CD based solely on that review (y'know - back before you could pre-listen to stuff).

For songs on that album I'd personally give the edge to Parallel Lines - but I also love Homesick. Such fantastic stuff! That being said, I have to admit it doesn't get played pre-ice time for me; it reminds me more of rainy afternoons with my wife, some tea and a book.

I'd love to know what else you listen to, @seagoal; KoK is not a reference that many people would drop!

Aww man, nice.  That's awesome you love them too.  It's true, not a whole lot of people know them, especially nowadays that they've sorta faded away a bit.

But yeah, they are on the top of my favorites list and have stayed there for a long time.  I really enjoy all of their records and in general their sound and vibe and energy level is right up my alley.  Their music is just soothing and relaxing and helps me focus and breathe, which is why they are ideal for me driving to hockey.  Once I am at the rink...I enjoy more energetic, louder music for sure.

My favorite band for the majority of my life was R.E.M., by far. Not so much these days, but growing up, as a teenager, and in my 20's I was all about R.E.M.  Nowadays, I am listening to The Cure, a lot.  I discovered them much later in my life and they are the band that has most recently sorta changed me and captivated me as a fan.

My list of favorites, at one time or another: R.E.M., 10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant solo, The Cure, The Cranberries, Kings of Convenience, Cowboy Junkies, Portishead, The Decemberists, Nirvana, Live, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Belle and Sebastian, Led Zeppelin, U2, Tupac, Bone Thugz N' Harmony, Biggie Smalls, N.W.A/Eazy E, any and all bluegrass or blues. 

There are 2 entire genres that I seriously dislike: country and reggae and a very close honorable mention on this list is jazz.

11 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Portishead is the most sultry, cigarette smoking in a detective's office, shady figure under a street lamp, type of music and I love it.

Beth Gibbons can sing to me anytime.

Agreed.  Super sexy voice. Best make out music ever.

10 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Aww man, nice.  That's awesome you love them too.  It's true, not a whole lot of people know them, especially nowadays that they've sorta faded away a bit.

But yeah, they are on the top of my favorites list and have stayed there for a long time.  I really enjoy all of their records and in general their sound and vibe and energy level is right up my alley.  Their music is just soothing and relaxing and helps me focus and breathe, which is why they are ideal for me driving to hockey.  Once I am at the rink...I enjoy more energetic, louder music for sure.

My favorite band for the majority of my life was R.E.M., by far. Not so much these days, but growing up, as a teenager, and in my 20's I was all about R.E.M.  Nowadays, I am listening to The Cure, a lot.  I discovered them much later in my life and they are the band that has most recently sorta changed me and captivated me as a fan.

My list of favorites, at one time or another: R.E.M., 10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant solo, The Cure, The Cranberries, Kings of Convenience, Cowboy Junkies, Portishead, The Decemberists, Nirvana, Live, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Belle and Sebastian, Led Zeppelin, U2, Tupac, Bone Thugz N' Harmony, Biggie Smalls, N.W.A/Eazy E, any and all bluegrass or blues. 

There are 2 entire genres that I seriously dislike: country and reggae and a very close honorable mention on this list is jazz.

Wow. That almost exactly describes R.E.M for me as well! I just recently went back and made a play list of their IRS years stuff - really nostalgic to listen to. Fall On Me is still one of my fav songs of all time.

That "later in life" thing about the Cure is how The Smiths are for me; not really into them back in the day, but in the last 5-10 years, they've been pretty heavy listening for me. The Boy With The Thorn in His Side - I can't get enough of that shiny, jangly guitar (see esp The Byrds).

I figured you'd know and like Belle and Sebastian given the Kings of Convenience. Such fond memories of listening to their early stuff! Do you know The Delgados, another Scottish band from the same time? You might also like The Clientele, and English band form the early 00s. Jens Lekman also has some fantastic stuff.

Not really pump up or calm down, but Tindersticks is one of my all time favourite bands - gorgeous music!

And Radiohead, well - what can I say? I've spent hundreds of dollars on their music, and have seen them 5 times.

18 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Portishead is the most sultry, cigarette smoking in a detective's office, shady figure under a street lamp, type of music and I love it.

Beth Gibbons can sing to me anytime.

Agreed - and I used to think that was the epitome of sensual voices in music.

...then I started listening to some Lana Del Rey. Man - after listening to her, I feel like I need a cigarette (and I don't even smoke...)

R.E.M. - Automatic For The People , MTV Unplugged Live - 10,000 Maniacs , Quiet Is The New Loud - KIngs of Convenience

Whenever someone asks what the 1 record you'd listen to forever on an island.....I fight in my brain over these 3.

That's funny.  People who learn what music I live have always said "you must love Radiohead!" but I never really did.  The Bends and OK Computer are okay, but I just never connected with them with any depth or passion.

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Agreed - and I used to think that was the epitome of sensual voices in music.

...then I started listening to some Lana Del Rey. Man - after listening to her, I feel like I need a cigarette (and I don't even smoke...)

Just gave her a first time listen. Not really my thing. Very poppy.

It's definitely missing that seductive tone that Beth just oozes.

Depending on the length of the drive to the rink, I'll usually have some album that I put on that would fall into some pump up category. Not necessarily new releases. A few of the recent ones I remember are Japandroids, Death from Above, Taking Back Sunday (that was for a particularly good playoff run in high school and the again recently), Tegan and Sara, Bear Hands. 

Once I'm on the ice though, the main thing for me is to let whatever is on my head keep looping. It might be a song I was listening to on the ride, might be something I heard in the room, might be something I heard a few days ago. The point is to let it run its course and not focus on "what's that next line?" 

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just gave her a first time listen. Not really my thing. Very poppy.

It's definitely missing that seductive tone that Beth just oozes.

Yeah, true - some of it is poppy. But stuff from Born To Die and  Ultraviolence is dark sombre and sultry. If you just don't dig it, that's cool too.

But if you like Beth Gibbons/Portishead, check out the tragically unknown/underrated Trip Hop group Alpha. See esp their album "The Impossible Thrill". It's the closest legit thing to Portishead I've heard (and I've looked - believe me!)

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There's lots of new rap/edm that's fantastic. Just need to weed through a lot of garbage.

My pump up music is whatever the music guy on any team brings. It ends up defaulting to popular rap on one team, to alternative (RATM, puddle of Mudd, etc) on another, and finally old school classics/country on another.

It all is fine in my book. Except country. God what an awful genre, almost as bad as that K-pop garbage that's increasing in popularity for god knows why.

Yeah, I’m not not a fan of rap in general, I can tolerate some but most I hear that’s played nowadays is trash. I do like shahmen a lot though, and by newer age edm I mean marshmello, chainsmokers, etc. who I absolutely hate.  

Techno really didn’t become its own genre until later, since all edm back then used to just be referred to as techno, so it’s technically newer. Like you said, gotta weed through all of the garbage lol. Speaking of which, k-pop is literally the spawn of satan

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're not listening to the right country, then. Johnny Cash, Gordon Lightfoot, Rural Alberta Advantage (if you want something more modern)

Archived