Jump to content
bunnyman666

Vintage gear postings

Recommended Posts

On 1/2/2020 at 7:19 AM, MTH said:

Vaughn still uses the "70" number in their intermediate models today. 

Blockers from the past are nothing special. There was a time when the modern style blocker was being built with the old size spec. Right around the time of the Velocity 1 model.

27-2301.jpg

I have a few of these in my collection. Big and a great design. Easy to repalm too.

God that was a great blocker. One of the best designs ever IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when I was just a fan of goalies, and not yet playing the position myself, I was very irritated with the helmet/cage look being carried into the early 90s when the combo was so widely available. But what made it SO much worse for me (purely from the aesthetic point of vue) was as when it was coupled with that fixed Itech throat protector that looked like a duck bill or something. Lots of examples for a couple of years (see pics) then gone (yes, mostly because former users switched to combo masks). Wondering if anyone ever used it, liked it, and why. 
 

C2909CC7-162F-4FF0-BD8B-61E11439A3A8.jpeg

D88529FF-13AC-42BB-A4F8-09E010C9BA86.jpeg

A6499422-8045-4E39-B513-03A6F8C62D0C.jpeg

8558BF01-77BE-49A0-98FC-ECA2A6601F2F.jpeg

4088C5BD-D9AD-4027-9A31-FB81EF783339.jpeg

AF90BF28-F5CF-42B7-B889-E4086CA9628E.jpeg

16FF366B-55BF-4853-886C-4AD9DD3D0582.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Used one, briefly, didn't like it because it blocked the view of pucks at my feet.  A good form fitting combo mask still allows for one to see close in pucks but I found that my head was forever bobbing because I would lose sight for a brief moment until my head was aimed straight down.   The one I had also reflected a glare from some arena lighting back in the 80's.

I have a short neck , head resting on shoulders sort of physique, so this piece of gear was unsuitable.  Plus I thought that they looked awkward, not at all cool.:thumbdown:

Edited by Wonder35
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Used one, briefly, didn't like it because it blocked the view of pucks at my feet.  A good form fitting combo mask still allows for one to see close in pucks but I found that my head was forever bobbing because I would lose sight for a brief moment until my head was aimed straight down.   The one I had also reflected a glare from some arena lighting back in the 80's.

I have a short neck , head resting on shoulders sort of physique, so this piece of gear was unsuitable.  Plus I thought that they looked awkward, not at all cool.:thumbdown:

As I suspected... though I never would have thought of the glare factor. Very interesting. 
And NOT very cool. One of the reasons I couldn’t stand Kelly Hrudey for the longest time. Well, that, and the blue bandana thing. Oh, and that ridiculous stance. Now as a commentator on TSN, I quite like him actually! Lol!

6A6202DC-22C1-4ADA-BC73-9EB1A0D9F596.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Lucky Pucker

To add to what @Wonder35 I used on in the early 90s, more-or-less against my will, "if you're playing this position you're wearing this." I remember the thing clacking so much that once I got a mask I outright refused to wear any dangler. So that must have been... from age 10 until about two years ago that I wouldn't wear a dangler. I've since equipped one now as I took a shot that hit my neck that temporarily knocked me unconscious (through my neckguard). I should note that I do have a longer neck. The only thing interesting about mine is that it was clear instead of white or black like all the ones you've posted, still blocked my vision horribly when it would get stuck in the upright position (over my mouth guard attachment). Three fun things about the attached picture: my number, the amount of defunct and different gear brands I'm wearing, and that I didn't know you were supposed to trigger finger on the paddle of the stick until I went to my second goalie school as it was never an observed problem (I held the stick pretty tight with a hand-knob grip).

88817777_ss(2019-04-04at05_29.54).jpg.438b8f0b38e0dc4a9b1800d7b3b3b762.jpg

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wore one during the 89/90 season attached to a Cooper HM50 cage.  Quite the opposite of @keeperton and @Wonder35 experience, with that cage, and the HM30 if mounted in the correct place it barely moved at all and did not clank around.  That's what I liked about it compared to a traditional dangler which I had worn the previous season.  That being said, the following season I did not use it, and have not used one since.

dangler.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Naz In defense of how much that thing moved, I was 6-9 years old when I worse that thing. I was definitely a fidgety child.

Edited by keeperton
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have NOS clips for that neck protector in my desk.

I used one for a time. Never really had a good setup with mine. The Cooper GTP was and still is king.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

One of the reasons I couldn’t stand Kelly Hrudey ... and that ridiculous stance.

That stance - while ridiculous - was super badass on a hockey card. Crouched down - focused. 

s-l640.jpg

corrado-micalef-of-the-detroit-red-wings

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the fact that he's wearing an adult medium jersey over his gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bumping this thread for the first time in a couple of months!

I've just picked up this old Olie, believe it's a 1999 going by the HECC sticker. I think it's an MA2000, but does anyone know better? Seems like a nice enough mask, at least full fiber, could have kevlar layer, and has a fiberglass backplate. 

Secondly, what other cages will fit these? I have a feeling Bauer NME might, but Profile cages do not, they are too flat at the bottom and are just in the wrong place for the side cage clip holes. Olie cages just look so crap I want to fit something better after I refurb it.

107569735_1688654857949311_2687851362739889345_n.jpg

Edited by redrook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, redrook said:

Bumping this thread for the first time in a couple of months!

I've just picked up this old Olie, believe it's a 1999 going by the HECC sticker. I think it's an MA2000, but does anyone know better? Seems like a nice enough mask, at least full fiber, could have kevlar layer, and has a fiberglass backplate. 

Secondly, what other cages will fit these? I have a feeling Bauer NME might, but Profile cages do not, they are too flat at the bottom and are just in the wrong place for the side cage clip holes. Olie cages just look so crap I want to fit something better after I refurb it.

107569735_1688654857949311_2687851362739889345_n.jpg

Looks like the ma2000 to me, I’ll post some pics of mine. It isn’t quite as old csa sticker is for 2008 which is around when I got it new I think? It’s a solid helmet I like mine.

Olie cages are soft as butter mine is super bent. Goalieparts/otny sells replacement cat eye cages for the ma2000.

If you need anymore pics or measurements let me know

582EB698-EF4E-40F9-A83B-D339ECEB91FA.jpeg

102BFA67-D3B7-4605-9DE2-775D7940DA13.jpeg

0A9A25EB-5C4B-46EA-8657-EE73C3F0BAFC.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2020 at 2:54 AM, Isles12 said:

Looks like the ma2000 to me, I’ll post some pics of mine. It isn’t quite as old csa sticker is for 2008 which is around when I got it new I think? It’s a solid helmet I like mine.

Olie cages are soft as butter mine is super bent. Goalieparts/otny sells replacement cat eye cages for the ma2000.

If you need anymore pics or measurements let me know

Thanks, it did indeed turn out to be a MA2000 shell, which I believe was a good quality mask - someone kindly sent me a spare cage they had and it fits perfectly. When I get around to it I'm going to refurb and move the side cageclip holes to fit an Eddy cage I think. The top and bottom holes should work just fine (with the top cage clips pointing upwards rather than downards). The Olie cages are just horrible looking.

Edited by redrook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great thread my vintage collection is too small to mention except I am working on a Jofa combo to wear. My buddy rehabbed some older kohos and i may end up with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dumpy said:

This is a great thread my vintage collection is too small to mention except I am working on a Jofa combo to wear. My buddy rehabbed some older kohos and i may end up with them.

Time and eBay... go! 

Is that a pair of Aeroflex pads ending soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MTH said:

Time and eBay... go! 

Is that a pair of Aeroflex pads ending soon?

Dont tease me like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MTH said:

Time and eBay... go! 

Is that a pair of Aeroflex pads ending soon?

I just took your advice mth My buddy has kinda matching gloves for these pads and told me I can buy his gloves if I get the pads. Logos are different, but the eras are close. I payed a little much for these and will need to use my buddys pad strap puller to install leather straps but there in pretty good shape I could use my buddys  plotter and print some old vaughn logos for the knee rolls but that would kill originality and modified stock gear is worthless unless a famous guy mods them LOL

AC2F3ABC-6181-496C-BF8E-97FA027C8ED3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 6:57 AM, Dumpy said:

I just took your advice mth My buddy has kinda matching gloves for these pads and told me I can buy his gloves if I get the pads. Logos are different, but the eras are close. I payed a little much for these and will need to use my buddys pad strap puller to install leather straps but there in pretty good shape I could use my buddys  plotter and print some old vaughn logos for the knee rolls but that would kill originality and modified stock gear is worthless unless a famous guy mods them LOL

AC2F3ABC-6181-496C-BF8E-97FA027C8ED3.jpeg

...and so it begins. My buddies call my garage the goalie gear museum.

They're jealous.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MTH said:

...and so it begins. My buddies call my garage the goalie gear museum.

They're jealous.

They should be. Im even gonna use the stuff and see if I like it and if I do Kenesky will make me a pair of pads and gloves so I dont ruin my pristine examples. Might even have olympia composites make me a Jofa helmet for a combo not certain I wanna protect my head with 30 year old plastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dumpy said:

They should be. Im even gonna use the stuff and see if I like it and if I do Kenesky will make me a pair of pads and gloves so I dont ruin my pristine examples. Might even have olympia composites make me a Jofa helmet for a combo not certain I wanna protect my head with 30 year old plastic.

Which Jofa you going? I've been really toying with the idea of trying to get an Irbe combo but would probably have to get the throat guard custom done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Which Jofa you going? I've been really toying with the idea of trying to get an Irbe combo but would probably have to get the throat guard custom done.

ED0EE362-C2BD-4623-BC44-2F60B0635B99.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Exceed pads yesterday. Sorry, no pix yet cause I am busy with stuff. My buddy says they are from an interesting time when senior gear was built side by side with the pro gear these have interesting features that turned into pro features like nylon straps and plastic clasps a lot of cordura. There definitely stand up pads as the straps are outside the knee and calf flaps. The knee rolls are pleather and nylon. There light for there size for sure but they might stick to the ice if I dont land flat on the face. My buddy assures me that despite these being mint there not worth a whole bunch and I can mod them up to make them have some modern features like hard knee flaps he don’t think it’s even worth it to put leather straps on except to replace the missing boot strap and toe straps. These are what they are barley used senior pads. I am putting toe caps on. The Vaughn logos are all over the place fontwise  on these including the side logo not matching anything ive seen before. So- let me unbusy myself get home and post pix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cuprajake said:

When someone mentions exceeds as vintage 😭

Yes- there just old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...