Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
seagoal

GDS Goalie Camps

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of GDS goalie camps?

I have been actively searching for a goalie camp this summer and was about to register for the camp in Boston taught by Andrew Raycroft. 

But, I showed up to my game last night (2-1 win) and saw this flyer. I was speaking to the pro shop guy about it and it sounds and looks really good. Nearly identical to the Raycroft camp and the exact same price. It's in Everett so I would spend $0 other than registration. 

Here's the flyer and a link to their site

www.Gdsgoalies.com

20190610_182735.jpg

Edited by seagoal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious what his tie to Murray and Flower are. Did he work in Pittsburgh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, he is a goaltender development coach for the Penguins.  He's worked with Rask, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had more local adult camps in my area.  We got Keeks to come to the Island one time back in the GSBB days for a one night clinic that was cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that will be interesting is that there is a huge youth hockey program in Everett that is run by the Silvertips organization.  I imagine there will be some kids in this camp, too, which means the old guys like me are going to be dragged through the mud by the youngins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I wish I had more local adult camps in my area.  We got Keeks to come to the Island one time back in the GSBB days for a one night clinic that was cool.

Biggest issue I have here in Vancouver is that every camp is set during the work week during the day. I took one weekend class years ago that was over the course of a weekend, but those have pretty much disappeared.

Pretty much forces me to spend my money on new gear to make me better instead of camps. ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Biggest issue I have here in Vancouver is that every camp is set during the work week during the day. I took one weekend class years ago that was over the course of a weekend, but those have pretty much disappeared.

Pretty much forces me to spend my money on new gear to make me better instead of camps. ;)

As it should be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheGoalNet said:

As it should be!

I guess new gear does equal more content.

But I do really want to do another weekend camp. That one I did take made a huge improvement in my game as a pretty raw goalie. I can only imagine what improvements I'd see as a decent goalie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Biggest issue I have here in Vancouver is that every camp is set during the work week during the day. I took one weekend class years ago that was over the course of a weekend, but those have pretty much disappeared.

Pretty much forces me to spend my money on new gear to make me better instead of camps. ;)

One of the goalie coaches in my city does his all-ages camps almost exclusively in the evenings, which is awesome. But working a full day and then going to practice T-pushes, butterfly slides, and recoveries as the "warm up" for 3 days in a row makes my legs turn to jello haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This camp is Thursday-Saturday with 2 ice sessions per day, so I'm going to have to miss 2 days of work for this, but I have a ton of vacation saved up so it isn't that big of a deal. 

They ask for your goals and game plan, which is nice now that I am experienced and have a nuanced understanding of my style and my strengths/weaknesses.  It'll be awesome to hone in on specific aspects of my game and work on improvement.

Edited by seagoal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

They ask for your goals and game plan,

Is it just not to suck? That's generally what I try to accomplish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well that'll be what the t-shirt I wear says.

But I'd like to specifically work on my right-to-left glove-side slides and technique, staying low and tight on my glove side leg for down-low plays/shots, fine tuning my stance and weight distribution, and maintaining active hands in front of my body/vision.

Edited by seagoal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, seagoal said:

This camp is Thursday-Saturday with 2 ice sessions per day, so I'm going to have to miss 2 days of work for this, but I have a ton of vacation saved up so it isn't that big of a deal. 

They ask for your goals and game plan, which is nice now that I am experienced and have a nuanced understanding of my style and my strengths/weaknesses.  It'll be awesome to hone in on specific aspects of my game and work on improvement.

The whole stop pucks vs preventing goals argument?

https://ingoalmag.com/news/do-you-like-to-stop-pucks-or-prevent-goals-top-sports-psychologists-answer/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...