No Boot straps on older vs newer pads

Jonathon v

I want to try no boot strap I use traditional way, no Lundy loop. . im 15 as you might know, and when I was about 11 I was at a skate, I had leather traditional bootstraps. medium tightness. One rippepd off during the skate. It was horrible. My leg felt weird and very sloppy and I have been scared to try without a bootstrap since. Also wouldn't hurt to mention I don't usually like change in the pads, Only time I have changed the strapping on my pad is when I got my first new pair of pads, which have a smart bootstrap (brains) Any thoughts? This intrigues me But I don't want to take off my bootstrap and hate it. Is that a thing with older pads that they are made differently? Basically it felt really sloppy and bad with my pads, which were Bauer reactor 5000 senior 32 plus 1. My new brains gentik 3 are 34 plus 1 senior, and idk if I should take off the boot strap because if it felt bad on those pads, won’t it fee bad on my Brian’s? Any quick responses would be super awesome I got a skate in 3 hours so ima find a way to mod them so I don’t have to take them off yet. Also is trying Lundy loop a good option? My pads sit high enough as is

28 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

I want to try no boot strap I use traditional way, no Lundy loop. . im 15 as you might know, and when I was about 11 I was at a skate, I had leather traditional bootstraps. medium tightness. One rippepd off during the skate. It was horrible. My leg felt weird and very sloppy and I have been scared to try without a bootstrap since. Also wouldn't hurt to mention I don't usually like change in the pads, Only time I have changed the strapping on my pad is when I got my first new pair of pads, which have a smart bootstrap (brains) Any thoughts? This intrigues me But I don't want to take off my bootstrap and hate it. Is that a thing with older pads that they are made differently? Basically it felt really sloppy and bad with my pads, which were Bauer reactor 5000 senior 32 plus 1. My new brains gentik 3 are 34 plus 1 senior, and idk if I should take off the boot strap because if it felt bad on those pads, won’t it fee bad on my Brian’s? Any quick responses would be super awesome I got a skate in 3 hours so ima find a way to mod them so I don’t have to take them off yet. Also is trying Lundy loop a good option? My pads sit high enough as is

The key to no boot straps is having bungee toe ties.  You still need your skate connected to the pad so that it will bounce back from rotation.

You probably hated the way your old pads felt without a boot strap because it was too floppy and disconnected. 

Bungee toe ties will help correct this and if used properly, bungee toe ties can render boot straps useless...especially if you also use a professor calf strap.  It sounds like your pads are tall enough, so you should be good.

The point of a boot strap is to pull the pads down towards your skate and keep them locked in place.  In other words, if you have something else doing that OR if a bootstrap is too loose, having one is useless, as in it does nothing.

What toe ties do you have now on your Gnetiks?

My VE8 pads have no boot strap, a very tight professor strap, and bungee toe ties.  It feels super connected and flexible and awesome. Super responsive with no gaps between my leg and pad movements.

A month or so ago I tried my heavier V6 pads with no boot strap, no professor strap, and skate lace ties with knots.  It felt horribly sloppy, disconnected, and just super awkward.  It was like my leg would move and then many seconds later my pad would maybe follow.

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

A month or so ago I tried my heavier V6 pads with no boot strap, no professor strap, and skate lace ties with knots.  It felt horribly sloppy, disconnected, and just super awkward.  It was like my leg would move and then many seconds later my pad would maybe follow.

Funny, that's almost exactly how I wear my V6s.

I feed my bootstrap through the Lundy loop so loosely that it does absolutely nothing to ensure proper pad rotation (to keep the strap from getting under my skate blade. I should probably just cut it off), and use knotted waxed laces for my toe ties (about two and a half inches of slack). I've got a leather strap that feeds through the knee block, which I strap up behind my knee, and keep that tight enough such that my knee can't fall off the block when it's at "maximum stretch" (three notches from the tightest possible position). I tighten my other calf straps up, but I never really notice them during a game, and could probably cut them off with no ill effects.

30 minutes ago, seagoal said:

The key to no boot straps is having bungee toe ties.  You still need your skate connected to the pad so that it will bounce back from rotation.

You probably hated the way your old pads felt without a boot strap because it was too floppy and disconnected. 

Bungee toe ties will help correct this and if used properly, bungee toe ties can render boot straps useless...especially if you also use a professor calf strap.  It sounds like your pads are tall enough, so you should be good.

The point of a boot strap is to pull the pads down towards your skate and keep them locked in place.  In other words, if you have something else doing that OR if a bootstrap is too loose, having one is useless, as in it does nothing.

What toe ties do you have now on your Gnetiks?

My VE8 pads have no boot strap, a very tight professor strap, and bungee toe ties.  It feels super connected and flexible and awesome. Super responsive with no gaps between my leg and pad movements.

Right now my toe ties are pro laces. it was skate lace on my old reactors, but they had no slack at all. I pull my toe ties as tight as I can with my pro laces so it doesn't fall off my skate. You said the point of having a bootstrap is to pull the pads towards my skates and keep them locked in place. What would be doing that if I removed them? If it was the toe ties, wouldn't my no slack skate lace ties have been good on my old pads?

6 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

Right now my toe ties are pro laces. it was skate lace on my old reactors, but they had no slack at all. I pull my toe ties as tight as I can with my pro laces so it doesn't fall off my skate. You said the point of having a bootstrap is to pull the pads towards my skates and keep them locked in place. What would be doing that if I removed them? If it was the toe ties, wouldn't my no slack skate lace ties have been good on my old pads?

Yes, those no slack laces would have kept the pads on your skates, but then they'd be stuck there the whole time offering you no help when on your knees and butterflying and that'd be tough on your knees and hips. 

If you're using Pro Laces you don't need a boot strap, plain and simple.  You could use one and have it do nothing, which is fine.  But properly functioning Pro Laces  and a properly functioning boot strap are contradictory.  Likewise, if you're using a boot strap properly, you don't need Pro Laces.  

Bungee toe ties require a solid commitment for them to work properly.  If they are, you don't need a boot strap.  Think of the point of Pro Laces: keeping your pads on your skates snug until you don't want them there, allowing your foot to stretch and extend away from your pad, but allowing the pad to return to your skate.

What is the best way to prevent that stretch and extension of your foot? A boot strap.

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yes, those no slack laces would have kept the pads on your skates, but then they'd be stuck there the whole time offering you no help when on your knees and butterflying and that'd be tough on your knees and hips. 

If you're using Pro Laces you don't need a boot strap, plain and simple.  You could use one and have it do nothing, which is fine.  But properly functioning Pro Laces  and a properly functioning boot strap are contradictory.  Likewise, if you're using a boot strap properly, you don't need Pro Laces.  

Bungee toe ties require a solid commitment for them to work properly.  If they are, you don't need a boot strap.  Think of the point of Pro Laces: keeping your pads on your skates snug until you don't want them there, allowing your foot to stretch and extend away from your pad, but allowing the pad to return to your skate.

What is the best way to prevent that stretch and extension of your foot? A boot strap.

Ok I’m gonna try it out tonight, thank you so much for the info on this it was really informative. Do you have any idea how to make it so the bootstrap is not in the way of anything but still connected? I don’t want to take them off yet just in case I don’t like the feeling still

10 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Is this ok? The boot strap is fed up to one of the straps in the channel and connected to it

204B7FBB-1C81-407F-99BC-300141EF4CD3.jpeg

You're welcome :) it always helps to ask What does this do? and How?

Then you can start to look at necessity.  Pads have many unnecessary parts and contradictions,  even in the NHL. 

That looks fine so long it stays put. Do those just slide off or would you have to cut it off?

23 minutes ago, seagoal said:

You're welcome :) it always helps to ask What does this do? and How?

Then you can start to look at necessity.  Pads have many unnecessary parts and contradictions,  even in the NHL. 

That looks fine so long it stays put. Do those just slide off or would you have to cut it off?

I think I can yank them out, they don't seem to be sewn in. Only thing Is I don't know how I would carry my pads then

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

It's just a shoulder strap from an old bag with two carabiners.

I'm off to play now too.

Play well man.  I sure plan on it.

hey I just wanna follow up. I used no boot strap and it only felt a little bit odd. I also felt like I had less control than when I use the boot straps, but not much, and I feel it may have just been the fact that its an adjustment. Are there advantages/disadvantages to the boot strap/no boot strap if I have pro laces, or is it just to save 10 seconds not having a boot strap to put on? I am possibly going to an early morning skate, if I do I will try again with no boot strap, but is there even a disadvantage to using it?

2 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

hey I just wanna follow up. I used no boot strap and it only felt a little bit odd. I also felt like I had less control than when I use the boot straps, but not much, and I feel it may have just been the fact that its an adjustment. Are there advantages/disadvantages to the boot strap/no boot strap if I have pro laces, or is it just to save 10 seconds not having a boot strap to put on? I am possibly going to an early morning skate, if I do I will try again with no boot strap, but is there even a disadvantage to using it?

Awesome,  good to hear you gave it a try and will try again. It's going to be an adjustment,  for sure, especially if you're used to.having a boot strap tight enough to get taut and prevent your skate from separating from your pad.

As for advantages and disadvantages,  I'll wait for others to chime in. I think I'm just going to get redundant at this point.

It sounds like you haven't committed yet to the full effect of Pro Laces so you're reluctant to ditch the boot strap, which I think I've made the cas me for them being contradictory one another if they're both used properly how they're intended.

That's totally normal,  by the way. I was very reluctant at first,  too.   But lots of guys I respect on here did it so I thought I'd try. Once I did and really thought about the mechanics it made perfect sense to ditch the boot strap. 

I wear V6 pads.  Always wore boot straps.  When I started using Pro Laces I found that they kept the pad nice and tight to my skate in the front, way more tightly than the toe ties and boot straps were doing, and still way more flexible.  One game I decided to remove the boot strap.  Haven't gone back since.  The pads feel way more connected to my legs with the Pro Laces and no boot strap than they ever did with toe ties and boot strap/s(my previous pads had 2 boot straps).  Give it a shot, @Jonathon v, I am sure you'll like it.  

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I wear V6 pads.  Always wore boot straps.  When I started using Pro Laces I found that they kept the pad nice and tight to my skate in the front, way more tightly than the toe ties and boot straps were doing, and still way more flexible.  One game I decided to remove the boot strap.  Haven't gone back since.  The pads feel way more connected to my legs with the Pro Laces and no boot strap than they ever did with toe ties and boot strap/s(my previous pads had 2 boot straps).  Give it a shot, @Jonathon v, I am sure you'll like it.  

I’m on my way to a stick and puck rn :)  This will be my second time without it, I’d bet I’ll feel a lot better than the first time without it

Archived