Jump to content
Steph Lawa

2019-2020 NHL Gear Sitings

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, MTH said:

This year's All Star stuff was torture to watch.

I literally was watching at the Flyers practice arena Friday night and Saturday during the game and everyone there was moaning how bad it was. 

What happened?

The women's 3 on 3 was pretty fun to watch.

They need a way better goalie event.  I don't know what it is though.  They did that shooting accuracy thing back when Hasek was around, shooting goalie goals from behind the net over a low board at the blueline.  Maybe some kind of rebound trickshot thing?

The trickshot event seems like it could have legs, but was poorly executed this year.  You can't make the biggest target worth the most points, and then also design it in a way that funnels pucks into it even if they technically "miss" the target.  Let some goalies participate in that, get more creative with the targets, add some bank shots or something, and we might have an event there.

The Blues org seemed way more self indulgent with bringing their legends out to "participate" in events.  I don't remember other places doing it quite like this, but you'd think they could come up with a better gimmick for your franchise's leading scorer than passing pucks to your team captain to practice his accuracy shooting.

Didn't even watch the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MTH said:

This year's All Star stuff was torture to watch.

I literally was watching at the Flyers practice arena Friday night and Saturday during the game and everyone there was moaning how bad it was. 

What happened?

I didn't watch it the game at all, and I turned off the competition prior to the one thing I should have watched - the women's 3-on-3. :facepalm: 

As a fan of the game of hockey over a fan of shenanigans on ice, equipment sitings, or anything glitzy, I cannot abide. 

This is what it looked like that last time I cared:

1348585582_aliafrate.jpg.6bf0a4224e89c4457bd4f15af3096cd0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anybody else think it was weird that Jordan Binnington didn't keep the save streak thing going? I thought they were supposed to keep going until a player scored after the divisional captain was stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An AHL guy Martin Frk shot 109.2 mph at the AHL skills competition. 
You guys officially sound old. 
It’s Allstar festivities. What do you want? It’s supposed to be fun and light-hearted.

The 3 on 3 mini tournament format actually makes it more interesting. I’m just worried a goalie will eventually pull something trying to keep up. 
Did you notice how young most of the participants were?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the way the AHL does the Skills Competition, I stopped watching the NHL competition when they had that breakaway where the goalies wouldn't even try to save the puck.  I thought that was extremely silly.

Edited by jevi3
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, breaklouis35 said:

Did anybody else think it was weird that Jordan Binnington didn't keep the save streak thing going? I thought they were supposed to keep going until a player scored after the divisional captain was stopped.

He'd won already.  No point in continuing and risking injury, as minimal as that risk might be.

Edited by Puckstopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

The women's 3 on 3 was pretty fun to watch.

It was the NHL all star game and skills. If I wanted to watch women's 3 on 3... I'd go watch women's 3 on 3.

It's like I wanted to watch Roadhouse and in the middle they played Pretty Woman. WTF is this?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Did you notice how young most of the participants were?

The entire league is young. 

Part of the reason why it's hard to watch. You sit there saying 'who the f is this dude?' most the game.

It's getting near women's professional tennis. The rookies are 14, the best players are maybe 17. They're old geezers by their 20s.

Edited by MTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

An AHL guy Martin Frk shot 109.2 mph at the AHL skills competition. 
You guys officially sound old. 

Two things here:

1. The hardest shot thing kinda lost it's steam with the whippy sticks. Is the top speed man or machine? Pro shop just got these sticks in:

Image result for nexus adv stick

It's like saying Jeff Gordon is the fastest driver. Is it him or the car his mechanics built?

2. I'm a Gen X'er. Is 'ok gen x-er' a term yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

An AHL guy Martin Frk shot 109.2 mph at the AHL skills competition. 
You guys officially sound old. 
It’s Allstar festivities. What do you want? It’s supposed to be fun and light-hearted.

The 3 on 3 mini tournament format actually makes it more interesting. I’m just worried a goalie will eventually pull something trying to keep up. 
Did you notice how young most of the participants were?

Sound old??? Aren't you gonna ask how I feel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MTH said:

Two things here:

1. The hardest shot thing kinda lost it's steam with the whippy sticks. Is the top speed man or machine? Pro shop just got these sticks in:

Image result for nexus adv stick

It's like saying Jeff Gordon is the fastest driver. Is it him or the car his mechanics built?

2. I'm a Gen X'er. Is 'ok gen x-er' a term yet?

Is this the slot the Bauer is hoping people stuff $100 bills into or is it a chip reader?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MTH said:

It was the NHL all star game and skills. If I wanted to watch women's 3 on 3... I'd go watch women's 3 on 3.

It's like I wanted to watch Roadhouse and in the middle they played Pretty Woman. WTF is this?

Who shit in YOUR cornflakes!?

10 minutes ago, MTH said:

Two things here:

1. The hardest shot thing kinda lost it's steam with the whippy sticks. Is the top speed man or machine?

It's like saying Jeff Gordon is the fastest driver. Is it him or the car his mechanics built?

Very much agree with this

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

An AHL guy Martin Frk shot 109.2 mph at the AHL skills competition. 
You guys officially sound old. 
It’s Allstar festivities. What do you want? It’s supposed to be fun and light-hearted.

The 3 on 3 mini tournament format actually makes it more interesting. I’m just worried a goalie will eventually pull something trying to keep up. 
Did you notice how young most of the participants were?

I AM old, however I found the 3 on 3 tourney exciting and fun to watch.  Some of the saves the guys were pulling off.. wow!  It's the kind of saves we all IMAGINE we make when a group of guys rent the ice and just scrimmage after throwing sticks in the middle to pick teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Naz said:

I AM old, however I found the 3 on 3 tourney exciting and fun to watch.  Some of the saves the guys were pulling off.. wow!  It's the kind of saves we all IMAGINE we make when a group of guys rent the ice and just scrimmage after throwing sticks in the middle to pick teams.

You don’t screw around and make those saves by some miracle?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ThatCarGuy Back in my teens and 20's... yes.  Now in my very late 40's, not so much LOL.

Edited by Naz
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Who shit in YOUR cornflakes!?

MTH is just voicing the same thing that I've seen from many guys I play hockey with. You don't see it much online, but many of the guys I play with either didn't care at all about the women's hockey portion of it, or downright didn't like it.

I'm fine with the inclusion of it. Mostly because it's the all star game and no one really fucking cares and that it helps girls get into the sport more.

But I also see it on the other hand. You watch to see the all stars of the best league in the world. Not the equivalent of a AAA midget team meek out a 2-1 score in two ten minute periods of 3v3 hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MTH said:

2. I'm a Gen X'er. Is 'ok gen x-er' a term yet?

It should be! 😂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

MTH is just voicing the same thing that I've seen from many guys I play hockey with. You don't see it much online, but many of the guys I play with either didn't care at all about the women's hockey portion of it, or downright didn't like it.

I'm fine with the inclusion of it. Mostly because it's the all star game and no one really fucking cares and that it helps girls get into the sport more.

But I also see it on the other hand. You watch to see the all stars of the best league in the world. Not the equivalent of a AAA midget team meek out a 2-1 score in two ten minute periods of 3v3 hockey.

I honestly thought it was a pretty good game. Desbiens made a lot of good saves and there were some great scoring opportunities.

I'd love to see women's hockey grow so that the top can be viewed better instead of on par with boys AAA U18 teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I honestly thought it was a pretty good game. Desbiens made a lot of good saves and there were some great scoring opportunities.

I'd love to see women's hockey grow so that the top can be viewed better instead of on par with boys AAA U18 teams.

I am not against that statement, but to be honest it is true. They are on par with Midget AAA level boys teams, and that's when the boys aren't allowed to hit.

Edit: I am not saying it would be a bad thing if women's hockey grew, I'm just saying that just because women's hockey grows doesn't mean people won't view them like that. 

Edited by Peter36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

MTH is just voicing the same thing that I've seen from many guys I play hockey with. You don't see it much online, but many of the guys I play with either didn't care at all about the women's hockey portion of it, or downright didn't like it.

I'm fine with the inclusion of it. Mostly because it's the all star game and no one really fucking cares and that it helps girls get into the sport more.

But I also see it on the other hand. You watch to see the all stars of the best league in the world. Not the equivalent of a AAA midget team meek out a 2-1 score in two ten minute periods of 3v3 hockey.

I'd love to see the best women's lineup against a boys AAA Midget team. You'll quickly find out how much more qualified and talented these ladies are. They deserve a higher respect than that and their place in the pro levels. My opinion.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I'd love to see the best women's lineup against a boys AAA Midget team. You'll quickly find out how much more qualified and talented these ladies are. They deserve a higher respect than that and their place in the pro levels. My opinion.

There are videos of that. One of the games the Canadian national team played a subpar Midget AAA team and won 2-1. In another game they lost to a Midget team 4-1.

Edited by Peter36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RichMan said:

I'd love to see the best women's lineup against a boys AAA Midget team. You'll quickly find out how much more qualified and talented these ladies are. They deserve a higher respect than that and their place in the pro levels. My opinion.

You know both Olympic squads have mixed results against boys AAA midget teams right?

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/2009-nwt-007-en
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/u-women-hockey-team-scrimmaging-against-high-school-170704740--oly.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/sports/olympics/25whockey.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Ok zoomer... 

I’m a millennial... why I don’t have a house and moved out of my parents house at 23.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...