Jump to content

2019-2020 NHL Gear Sitings


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the powers granted to me by the heritage of the GSBB in the prehistoric era of goaltending equipment admiration, here is the 2019-2020 NHL gear sitings thread we've all been waiting for!  Ca

Dear Mike, So. Good. As. Always. Love, TGN Regulars

Looks like his teammates are taking it in stride, they drew a chalk outline of where he dropped this morning at practice.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, raucebyalien said:

Here's a cleaner look at Price, interesting that he's in the L20's rather than the L12s:

107827201_2630324943887155_6556835664846935127_n.jpg

Remember that when he first switched from Vaughn to Reebok/CCM, it was apparently because Vaughn didn't make a hard enough pad and he went into P4s (maybe also a nicer cheque from CCM or a bigger willingness to make what he wanted). Now to be fair, they were probably the same foam profile as the original Eflex in a P4 skin, so it's possible Lefevre just gave him his usual foam stiffness in the L20.1 body. I think too there may also be strong marketing forces here like how the L20.1 is the flagship model from Lefevre and he's one of the most viewed goalies in the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone's making a massive deal over the whole ccm thing,

Come start of season they will be back in ccm.

Remember when they all tried the kenesky chest? 

In terms of joe public sales 

Lefereve only make a pro line, one thats more expensive than most. 

Ccm offer various price points, doubt they will loose much in terms of sales. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cuprajake said:

Everyone's making a massive deal over the whole ccm thing,

Come start of season they will be back in ccm.

Remember when they all tried the kenesky chest? 

In terms of joe public sales 

Lefereve only make a pro line, one thats more expensive than most. 

Ccm offer various price points, doubt they will loose much in terms of sales. 

You might be right about sales us slobs. CCM has been around a long long time really long. But Lefebvre is different than Kenesky as they were the brains behind the CCM gear for a long time. Stuff made under there corporate umbrella like Koho had the Lefebvre name on it. My buddy says half of what makes pro goalies use stuff is how good the service is to the pro using it like how quick new stuff gets to them the mods and features or if they nake old stuff looking like new. Elliot quit playing in Bauer cause he couldn’t get his old school JRZ made stuff anymore or his old Supreme skates. Your right these CCM cheaters may go back next year but some may stay with the new guy in town. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. 

And thats the main point. Most of these guys are in pads reskinned. There not even relevant. Theres a vid where corey Schneider is talking about the 'new' gear and hes been in it for the last 4 to 5 yrs haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cuprajake said:

Everyone's making a massive deal over the whole ccm thing,

Come start of season they will be back in ccm.

Remember when they all tried the kenesky chest? 

In terms of joe public sales 

Lefereve only make a pro line, one thats more expensive than most. 

Ccm offer various price points, doubt they will loose much in terms of sales. 

People don't understand that it's a test run, nothing more. Lefevre pretty much offered these sets to most goalies. As for this season I don't think many will stick with it. We'll see what happens in the off-season. 

For the average beer league goalie price point, not worth it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 10:30 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

People don't understand that it's a test run, nothing more. Lefevre pretty much offered these sets to most goalies. As for this season I don't think many will stick with it. We'll see what happens in the off-season. 

That first sentence is right. My buddy passed on a few pro return Kenesky sets not the chestys cause Kenesky was tryna get their name out in the NHL. I think a few sets got out but nothin stuck and they payed there money there stuff aint bad I tried there old vaughn copy. The chances are maybe quarter of them will make the change but unbranded stuff pisses off bettman he wants his money and its his league, cant blame him. Lefebvre needs to pay up💰 if they wanna be in the big boys league. Personally I think there priced for limited sales.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cuprajake said:

Everyone's making a massive deal over the whole ccm thing,

Come start of season they will be back in ccm.

Remember when they all tried the kenesky chest? 

In terms of joe public sales 

Lefereve only make a pro line, one thats more expensive than most. 

Ccm offer various price points, doubt they will loose much in terms of sales. 

Many goalies are dedicated to that EFlex line and from what I understand as far as ccm goes the Eflex line is going under this year. I don’t know what it’ll be replaced with but for a lot of guys that means that have to find a new provider for Eflex and Lefevre will fill that market. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As the CCM thread seems to be closed.. Is CCM building all their gear overseas now or do they still have a NA factory for the pro guys / custom gear?

Anyhow, I think most CCM guys will be in Lefevre in the future. The Lefevre style of equipment has been around.. well forever almost (I'm that young) and year after year it's been popular among the pros and us gear nerds. Why would that change? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, saitagoalie said:

As the CCM thread seems to be closed.. Is CCM building all their gear overseas now or do they still have a NA factory for the pro guys / custom gear?

Anyhow, I think most CCM guys will be in Lefevre in the future. The Lefevre style of equipment has been around.. well forever almost (I'm that young) and year after year it's been popular among the pros and us gear nerds. Why would that change? 

Chatting with a retailer suggests they do not have a domestic factory at this time. They are currently working on building a new factory somewhere in the world, but the factory is not ready yet.

They're more or less letting Lefevre have their run of things because if they flooded the pro market (like Lefevre is doing right now) they don't have the production capacity to meet increased demand.

When their new production facility is ready, I expect CCM to make a run at things once more.

TLDR: Lefevre is doing their thing right now, but it's not so much Lefevre running over CCM so much as CCM is not interested in winning this early round, at a time when they're not 100% prepared to compete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, proudSnowflake72 said:

Chatting with a retailer suggests they do not have a domestic factory at this time. They are currently working on building a new factory somewhere in the world, but the factory is not ready yet.

They're more or less letting Lefevre have their run of things because if they flooded the pro market (like Lefevre is doing right now) they don't have the production capacity to meet increased demand.

When their new production facility is ready, I expect CCM to make a run at things once more.

TLDR: Lefevre is doing their thing right now, but it's not so much Lefevre running over CCM so much as CCM is not interested in winning this early round, at a time when they're not 100% prepared to compete.

To me it seems that it would be easier to just try to hold on to those guys who they already have wearing their gear, rather than try to win them over again.

They just got out a new model, but don't have a factory yet?

I'm curious to see how this whole CCM-Lefevre thing will play out with the pros (I imagine everyone is). NA factory vs. (possibly) overseas factory. I imagine it's not that simple to have proper customized gear made for those picky guys at an overseas factory. Most likely it takes longer too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, saitagoalie said:

To me it seems that it would be easier to just try to hold on to those guys who they already have wearing their gear, rather than try to win them over again.

They just got out a new model, but don't have a factory yet?

I'm curious to see how this whole CCM-Lefevre thing will play out with the pros (I imagine everyone is). NA factory vs. (possibly) overseas factory. I imagine it's not that simple to have proper customized gear made for those picky guys at an overseas factory. Most likely it takes longer too.

I myself am not 100% on the logic behind this either.

I'm going to surmise (perhaps incorrectly) that CCM is focusing on machinery development that will minimize the need for a set of skilled craftsmen by being able to produce the various customizations that picky customers would select, e.g. different core construction or strapping adjustments. This may be why their new manufacturing facility is taking longer (they're re-evaluating their technology, and reconfiguring or adding where necessary), but also how they can still produce some gear at scale, since their old factory is probably still active, using what they may see as outdated manufacturing techniques.

Then, they can produce exactly the same stuff at both the pro and retail markets consistently, as well as have machinery that's less expensive than a human(s).

If the machines can be built well, then CCM will have a scalable, quality product that is consistent across the retail and pro markets, that takes less time to produce. It's all about the machinery.

Edited by proudSnowflake72
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keeperton said:

Pretty sure I recall reading they were doing exactly that.

Just from there pricing that was the way it looks. I bet they are prolly building the most gear they ever built at this point from reading there history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Saros with Axis. But what is that little flap? Prevent skate from touching ice when sliding maybe?

Poor quality screenshot from a video.

Screenshot_20200720_154213.jpg

Unless that has a strap connected Id think it would drag going the other way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, proudSnowflake72 said:

I myself am not 100% on the logic behind this either.

I'm going to surmise (perhaps incorrectly) that CCM is focusing on machinery development that will minimize the need for a set of skilled craftsmen by being able to produce the various customizations that picky customers would select, e.g. different core construction or strapping adjustments. This may be why their new manufacturing facility is taking longer (they're re-evaluating their technology, and reconfiguring or adding where necessary), but also how they can still produce some gear at scale, since their old factory is probably still active, using what they may see as outdated manufacturing techniques.

Then, they can produce exactly the same stuff at both the pro and retail markets consistently, as well as have machinery that's less expensive than a human(s).

If the machines can be built well, then CCM will have a scalable, quality product that is consistent across the retail and pro markets, that takes less time to produce. It's all about the machinery.

I'm sure the machinery helps with consistency and with smart planning CCM will be able to offer decent amount of customization.

But, I don't think CCM will be the choice of equipment for guys like Holtby let's say, whose pad is quite far from stock.

Braden Holtby | Ice Hockey Wiki | Fandom

Of course, I'm only talking about pro goalies here. For us "normal people", there has never been that many custom options available. Not with CCM, not with Lefevre...

In my opinion, with modern gear the human element matters less and less, when putting together the equipment. Having machinery cut fabrics & foams helps a lot. The one major exception is catchers.. The after-market service for fixing up new / mint condition catchers hasn't been around for that long... Anybody else think that this is because the quality of equipment has gotten worse?

I'm a strong supporter of smaller companies & companies who build their product locally (NA & Europe you know). I like that my gear is built by someone who gets proper pay, holiday and is familiar with the sport. However though, I don't think all gear built overseas is automatically crap. It's mostly about the design and quality of materials used.

I have zero connections within the industry and am just a beer league goalie, so these are just uneducated personal opinions :D 

Edited by saitagoalie
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saitagoalie said:

I'm sure the machinery helps with consistency and with smart planning CCM will be able to offer decent amount of customization.

But, I don't think CCM will be the choice of equipment for guys like Holtby let's say, whose pad is quite far from stock.

Braden Holtby | Ice Hockey Wiki | Fandom

Of course, I'm only talking about pro goalies here. For us "normal people", there has never been that many custom options available. Not with CCM, not with Lefevre...

In my opinion, with modern gear the human element matters less and less, when putting together the equipment. Having machinery cut fabrics & foams helps a lot. The one major exception is catchers.. The after-market service for fixing up new / mint condition catchers hasn't been around for that long... Anybody else think that this is because the quality of equipment has gotten worse?

I'm a strong supporter of smaller companies & companies who build their product locally (NA & Europe you know). I like that my gear is built by someone who gets proper pay, holiday and is familiar with the sport. However though, I don't think all gear built overseas is automatically crap. It's mostly about the design and quality of materials used.

I have zero connections within the industry and am just a beer league goalie, so these are just uneducated personal opinions :D 

The reason behind why CCM catchers getting fixed post retail is that they can’t make one that closes and if it does the plastics brake down. Just my opinion but I could never close a stock CCM catcher. Brians has a probkem with the t folding in and most lace their catch gloves way to tight and it don’t matter where there made. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dumpy said:

The reason behind why CCM catchers getting fixed post retail is that they can’t make one that closes and if it does the plastics brake down. Just my opinion but I could never close a stock CCM catcher. Brians has a probkem with the t folding in and most lace their catch gloves way to tight and it don’t matter where there made. 

A few weeks ago, I was at Pure Hockey and tried on a retail pro CCM Axis catcher.  The quality was laughable.  Was labeled "game ready" and didn't close.  You could tell the break wasn't even really lined up.  I use a Lefevre built glove from CCM and the quality is insanely better.  The sales associate said it was because you have to put it in the oven first.  The retail level pro gear these days is often terrible compared to what it used to be.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...