Mammoth Tender Bag

bunnyman666

This bag looks sweet.  My big issue is my genetics.  Im 5'8".  ME trying to carry that bag looks like a toddler walking around with the family dog in its arms.  

The bag starts out at 8lbs.  Add wet gear, (pack it in, pack it out) cooler and accessories and that 1/2 mile walk to the vehicle looks a tad much.

Again, for me, wheels are the way to go.  Im not totally happy with my wheeled bag, but it does the job.

This monster, with a Segway attached, would be King!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/22/2017 at 0:34 PM, bunnyman666 said:

That's why I bought this one. And the Grit tower is reputed to have longevity issues.

I've had my Grit tower for at least a year now and no issues.  I drag it up and down stairs every use, and it's full to the point it's hard to zip up but it keeps going.  I had two Vaughn bags previously, both wore out in a year and a half with signs showing much earlier.

2 hours ago, Chester said:

This bag looks sweet.  My big issue is my genetics.  Im 5'8".  ME trying to carry that bag looks like a toddler walking around with the family dog in its arms.  

The bag starts out at 8lbs.  Add wet gear, (pack it in, pack it out) cooler and accessories and that 1/2 mile walk to the vehicle looks a tad much.

Again, for me, wheels are the way to go.  Im not totally happy with my wheeled bag, but it does the job.

This monster, with a Segway attached, would be King!

I resemble your concerns. 

The carry strap is what puts this over the top for me. We will see, as her maiden journey is this afternoon.

2 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

I've had my Grit tower for at least a year now and no issues.  I drag it up and down stairs every use, and it's full to the point it's hard to zip up but it keeps going.  I had two Vaughn bags previously, both wore out in a year and a half with signs showing much earlier.

Good to hear. I read a few reviews about the wheels and that made me shy away. But glad yours is going well.

• 2 weeks later...

You can put your pads in easily. If you wear 38+2" pads, you will be more than fine to haul them in the bag. If you carry extra gloves and helmets, you're golden! The carry strap is nice.

You really can't use it as a backpack. And I had to pack smarter in my fellow goalie's truck bed with tonneau cover. I wouldn't mind it slightly smaller, myself. It isn't a deal breaker for me in the least.

I did run a few suggestions by Erik Olsen, including a wheeled version. I know that some may scoff at wheels, and it may be prohibitively expensive to do a wheeled bag RIGHT (as in how they make products), as usually, the framework breaks and causes a HUGE sag in the middle of the bag, rendering it nearly useless.

Have been following this as I am looking to go back to carry bag after toting around a Grit Sumo for the last 5 years. It's great idea but it's bitch to take in the room if you have sub size rooms as it takes up 1/4 of the room. The thing also fills most of bed in my Colorado when I head out. I fired off an email to JRZ to look at ordering a custom bag from what they will let you order. There is a guy on ebay (prostockhockey) who sells alot of pro return/issued stuff and I was going to order a bag from him but if I can get one from JRZ I will go that route. The hard part is would a pro player bag fit most of my stuff or am I better off getting a goalie bag ? I never put my pads in so it's just everything else.

9 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Have been following this as I am looking to go back to carry bag after toting around a Grit Sumo for the last 5 years. It's great idea but it's bitch to take in the room if you have sub size rooms as it takes up 1/4 of the room. The thing also fills most of bed in my Colorado when I head out. I fired off an email to JRZ to look at ordering a custom bag from what they will let you order. There is a guy on ebay (prostockhockey) who sells alot of pro return/issued stuff and I was going to order a bag from him but if I can get one from JRZ I will go that route. The hard part is would a pro player bag fit most of my stuff or am I better off getting a goalie bag ? I never put my pads in so it's just everything else.

If I could have modded my Eagle bag, I would have! 

You don't bag your pads? then I would say one of the bigger Mammoth player bags would do what you need.

On 7/5/2017 at 3:00 AM, bunnyman666 said:

..I know that some may scoff at wheels, and it may be prohibitively expensive to do a wheeled bag RIGHT (as in how they make products), as usually, the framework breaks and causes a HUGE sag in the middle of the bag, rendering it nearly useless..

Framework - what is this thing you speak of. The only "framework" on my Vaughn was the plastic base bonded to the four walls of the bag. - talk about a saggy bag. I commented that I added skids to my bag - they actually did double duty - skids for going over stairs and bending resistance along the length of the bag. All because if Vaughn had to include  (3) 3/4" x 1" x 36" long strips of spruce screwed onto the base of the bag it apparently would have driven them into receivership.

20 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Framework - what is this thing you speak of. The only "framework" on my Vaughn was the plastic base bonded to the four walls of the bag. - talk about a saggy bag. I commented that I added skids to my bag - they actually did double duty - skids for going over stairs and bending resistance along the length of the bag. All because if Vaughn had to include  (3) 3/4" x 1" x 36" long strips of spruce screwed onto the base of the bag it apparently would have driven them into receivership.

My Bauer had a frame inside it. It broke down from regular use. If the rest of the bag weren't falling apart, I probably would have reconstructed the frame using aircraft aluminium tubing. 

But spruce strips would CERTAINLY put Vaughn, CCM AND Bauer into receivership! A bag that lasts longer than a year is a TERRIBLE thing for those companies, as apparently, they are a HUGE profit maker for them, judging by how long they last...

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

...But spruce strips would CERTAINLY put Vaughn, CCM AND Bauer into receivership! A bag that lasts longer than a year is a TERRIBLE thing for those companies, as apparently, they are a HUGE profit maker for them, judging by how long they last...

LOL - don't ever talk to my wife, she''l say you sound exactly like me. Of course, being an old man, I'm expected to be grouchy - and I do not disappoint!

No I think he's gotten and used it already. So I measured my current bag, a Brown JB700 at ~38" x ~18.5" x ~19". On the Brown site they have three bags. They no longer offer the JB700, but the JB1800 is the closest one to mine. The official measurements are 40 x 20 x 20. Do you think that's what my bag would be? Do they round up the numbers or did I measure wrong? I'm just trying to get an idea of what sized bag to get based on how my current one sizes up. The Mammoth bag is four inches larger on each dimension. 

28 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

This thread is exactly why the internet amazes me

we have a thread about a hockey bag that's yet to be delivered and with no real pictures and it's a hit 

It' s a cerebral audience I guess. Is that an oxymoron if the audience is primarily goalies? :)

3 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

It' s a cerebral audience I guess. Is that an oxymoron if the audience is primarily goalies? :)

Based on all the hockey you've played, are you suggesting that the outskating players are the smart ones?! I'd think not based on all evidence. 

4 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

No I think he's gotten and used it already. So I measured my current bag, a Brown JB700 at ~38" x ~18.5" x ~19". On the Brown site they have three bags. They no longer offer the JB700, but the JB1800 is the closest one to mine. The official measurements are 40 x 20 x 20. Do you think that's what my bag would be? Do they round up the numbers or did I measure wrong? I'm just trying to get an idea of what sized bag to get based on how my current one sizes up. The Mammoth bag is four inches larger on each dimension. 

Haha sorry, I haven't Followed this thread too close. I didn't see pictures from Bunny, so I assumed the bag didn't arrive 

I'd like to see some pics, bunny. My 20 some odd year old Vaughn goalie bag has held up pretty well but it has gotten tedious fixing the seams. No complaints; the seams didn't go until recently and that probably is more related to the size of my car's trunk than anything else.

I must say I am very pleasantly surprised to see that not everyone needs wheels to get their stuff into the building. :thumbup:  At the two buildings where I play, everyone has wheels.

6 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Based on all the hockey you've played, are you suggesting that the outskating players are the smart ones?! I'd think not based on all evidence. 

Well if you're going to compare us to the guys with rockers on their blades of course we're going to come out looking like a gaggle of Einsteins ;)

Archived