Nhl custom specs, or just better fit pads

Jonathon v

I’ve noticed on pads of goalies that are younger, the thigh has pull on the gnetik 4 pads which are said to have amazing seal, and I know it’s true. Is this because nhl goalies get extra custom specs and they probably put more quality into pads they build for nhl goalies, or is it because nhl goalies are done growing, so they don’t have pads a little big on them? Btw that’s  not me with the sick solid red/black pads, I could only dream. But if you zoom in on those, there is a kind of noticeable thigh pull like with my gnetik 3 pads

01512E6C-CBF3-4299-A837-0FA67AB8BF05.png

CA46F9DD-9240-4AA6-A3BD-ACD159A56DFC.png

EAFE0AFF-449B-4D44-A0CC-D0D482C42B7A.png

2E78BFC2-7D69-4A38-A2DC-2DC0705C763B.png

Most "soft" or "hybrid" pads will have this happen to them. It just has to do with the nature of the pad. The gnetik4's "torsion flex technology" does a decent job at solving this, but laces that are tight or a bootstrap etc will restrict its effectiveness. 

A lot of it has to do with the boot angles usually being more aggressive. The boot of the skate pulls down the boot, and this sort of torques the pad upwards in the tight. A gnetik pad doesn't have a full square boot like a Premier or Optik would. Here's an illustration of it from Vaughn. Pads are much better at sealing now but it isn't perfect.

image.png.56fd887585345d37761f2331d116b52b.png

11 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Most "soft" or "hybrid" pads will have this happen to them. It just has to do with the nature of the pad. The gnetik4's "torsion flex technology" does a decent job at solving this, but laces that are tight or a bootstrap etc will restrict its effectiveness. 

A lot of it has to do with the boot angles usually being more aggressive. The boot of the skate pulls down the boot, and this sort of torques the pad upwards in the tight. A gnetik pad doesn't have a full square boot like a Premier or Optik would. Here's an illustration of it from Vaughn. Pads are much better at sealing now but it isn't perfect.

image.png.56fd887585345d37761f2331d116b52b.png

If someone has pro laces and make them very tight, and removes the boot strap should that help solve the problem on the gnetik 4 pads

22 games in my Gnetik 4 pads and I can't think of one goal that got past me because of the seal of the pads. Not an issue for me at all, tie up your Smart Cords properly along with a loose boot strap and you are golden. Pictures are deceiving, on ice performance is all that matters.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, Jonathon v said:

If someone has pro laces and make them very tight, and removes the boot strap should that help solve the problem on the gnetik 4 pads

It will, but it won't give a perfect seal like a 90 degree boot is. Nothing a 1" puck should fit through.

The Gnetik pad lift is NOWHERE near what those old school Vaughns used to be. A puck could easily fit into that Vaughn lift, but won't in a Brian's. 

If you are really worried, you can also do up your Pro Laces on the inner two holes of your toe bridge. Less torque on the boot.

Archived