The Old Man Thread

bunnyman666

52 minutes ago, MTH said:

My one son swears by the BioFreeze crap. He's all of 16. What does he know about being sore and hurt.

Then again, kids play every day and full contact. I don't know how they do it.

Because they're 16 and invincible. 

The hits I've just bounced up from at that age would sideline me these days. 

• Like 2

I'm turning 39 soon, do I qualify?  

I played last night, middle game of three in a row this week with one more tonight.  My lower back, right knee, and left ankle are all quite sore and drying after a shower this morning introduced a spasm in the middle of my back.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MTH said:

I took my first yoga class last night. Was hard at times but tons of hip flex positions that will help me. I'm hooked.

It will help; I am not a yoga-ist as such but the stretches and movements help. The Boss aka the Mrs is the yoga-ist and it is helped her tons with some low back issues. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jerd31 said:

I played last night, middle game of three in a row this week with one more tonight.  My lower back, right knee, and left ankle are all quite sore and drying after a shower this morning introduced a spasm in the middle of my back.  

I think so. 39 ain't easy. Honestly from late 30s through 46 for me kinda feels the same. 

Shower injuries earn you points on your application too.

I dealt with a should injury from sleeping for too long. Right in the middle of old man baseball season too. So I pretended it was from that so I still looked like a real man.

• Haha 3

I'm new to TGN, definitely not young as my username suggests. I'm getting back into skating after 7 years off (after playing on/off for 5, preceded by a 10 year hiatus). I saw this thread and wanted to jump in. 

I'm 43 with a herniated disc from years of olympic lifting & crossfit, after my college playing days were over. I recommend Yoga as a way to keep everything pretty aligned and muscles loose, but there's different types- Vinyasa flows from one movement to the next and is a bit more of a workout. I've done that and Hatha, and found Hatha better for what I wanted- it focuses more on alignment, stretching, and core strength which I felt was better as a therapeutic way to keep skating.  I just got a little bored with it, and if anyone finds they're feeling similar, pilates is great alternative too. I started going to Lagree (it's like pilates on steroids) and it kicks your ass. I can go 2x, maybe 3x per week. It's a lot of very slow movement and isometric holds so you actually can build some leg strength along with building a rock solid core.

Just my $0.02 if anyone is interested in looking for weightlifting alternatives because of wear and tear

• Like 4

My daily Yoga Routine was designed by a Physiotherapist following knee replacement surgery in January, 2018. It mainly consists of upper and lower body stretches (leg up the wall) plus some hip and knee rotations, mainly on my back and shoulder stretches.

I double up on these for game days.

My primary VooDoo juice is Voltaren Extra Strength Joint Pain. They also have a Voltaren Extra Strength Back and Muscle Pain. Is the term Extra Strength even valid if it's the only "strength" available?  🙄

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2023 at 11:15 AM, jerd31 said:

Welp I jinxed myself.  About halfway into the first period last night I butterflied and kicked out and heard a pop in my knee and a ton of pain.  Had to get helped off the ice.  Now I can barely bend my knee without pain and it feels unstable.  Have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on Monday.  

• Sad 2

On 3/16/2023 at 11:21 AM, jerd31 said:

Welp I jinxed myself.  About halfway into the first period last night I butterflied and kicked out and heard a pop in my knee and a ton of pain.  Had to get helped off the ice.  Now I can barely bend my knee without pain and it feels unstable.  Have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on Monday.  

It was nice knowing you. RIP

Hope it's just a sprain. Update?

2 hours ago, MTH said:

It was nice knowing you. RIP

Hope it's just a sprain. Update?

Thankfully it's been getting better daily, still some pain when I bend/twist but I can get around.  I saw a Dr. yesterday and he's saying MCL sprain, and possible meniscus damage but I need to go get an MRI to confirm.  I'm probably not playing for another month or so- I think my next game is April 16th.  Hopefully it's healed up by then.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jerd31 said:

Thankfully it's been getting better daily, still some pain when I bend/twist but I can get around.  I saw a Dr. yesterday and he's saying MCL sprain, and possible meniscus damage but I need to go get an MRI to confirm.  I'm probably not playing for another month or so- I think my next game is April 16th.  Hopefully it's healed up by then.  

Hopefully that just it. Meniscus damage isn't a major injury thankfully. When I tore mine, they just cortisone injected it and told me to walk it off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Hopefully that just it. Meniscus damage isn't a major injury thankfully. When I tore mine, they just cortisone injected it and told me to walk it off. 

I haven't scheduled the MRI yet but the pain has subsided significantly the past couple days, I'm assuming that means no meniscus damage.  I have almost full range of motion with minimal/no pain now.  Just a little pain if I pivot/twist my knee but it's manageable.

• Like 1

I haven't played in a while. I started doing band stuff again. Joined a new one last October and that's about the time I stopped.  

Kind of bummed about it.  But tbh I feel so out of shape I know it would be a total shitshow if I did go. Some guys will say that's ok come out anyway but I expect some standards from myself 😝

I was never really that good to begin with now it would be worse. I've passed on a few opportunities to fill in the last few weeks. Felt bad about that too so maybe I should just do it. 😆

• Like 2

I hope all your (and everybody else's) knee is ok.

I'm about to turn 39, so I feel I qualify as an old man hockey wise now. I've been trying to find a nice balance between protecting my knees and in game comfort. I got a couple Shock Doctor knee bracers to wear during games as I've been having some pain, particularly in my right knee, during games. When I wear them I have almost no knee pain the day after the game, however, they add a LOT of extra bulk to what is already a bulky knee setup I have and they don't actually help much with some of the pain I feel during the game.

I tried switching knee pads, tried adding a Bracelayer as my base layer to see if that helped, but all three of them together felt terrible during the game though I did feel pretty great the next day. I've settled on just the Bracelayer and new knee pads for the time being. I think it strikes a good balance between bulk and game comfort while still feeling decent after games. 

• Like 3

Hope everyone's knees are good too. Can we agree that, as old gas bags, we keep the discussion off things like prostates? :)

Be mindful about the menisci. I agree with @MTH. I tore my right knee medial meniscus in juniors (back in the Middle Ages) and never had the surgery. Once you injure it though it never really heals. This led, for me, to chronic swelling requiring the ortho md to drain it every four months or so...kinda like flushing a radiator on a car. He predicts a replacement when I decide that's it but I am glad I never had it "fixed" surgically which seems to speed up the time for the joint being replaced.

@tgfoo, I went through several braces and never really felt comfie with them. These days, I just use my Icy Hot Xtra Strength and a Copper fit knee sleeve and it seems to help. Also, welcome!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fullright said:

@tgfoo, I went through several braces and never really felt comfie with them. These days, I just use my Icy Hot Xtra Strength and a Copper fit knee sleeve and it seems to help. Also, welcome!

I don’t love the Bracelayer. Particularly how it bunches at the at the back of the knees. But I still find it more comfy than the brace. I should ice more and have been looking at some recovery compression tights for post game. 

Though right now I mostly just happy I have a 2 week break between games.  

• Like 1

Almost 57 here, and I am always at the rink really early hoping to get into the room to spend at least a half hour stretching and warming up.  Last night was my >40 draft league, and as I'm sitting in the hallway at 7:55 munching on popcorn (pre-game superstition) waiting for the room for my 9:00 game, a captain from one of the 8:00 teams comes out of his room and asks me if I can play.  Their 38 year old goalie forgot to get up from a nap.  Whoops.  So I got dressed and on the ice one minute into the game, and promptly had to stop a breakaway.  I felt like the tin man after a heavy rain.  Eventually, I warmed up and we ended up winning.  But I was gassed for my game at 9:00.  The 9:00 ended in a 2 - 2 tie and I played a good game.  Normally I'm tired on nights when I play two games but not dead.  I almost fell out of bed this morning because I am so beat up.

Synopsis:  I'm old and need my full pre-game ritual.  At the same time, I'm just happy to still be able to play hockey :)  

• Like 8

On 3/23/2023 at 10:45 AM, beansbats said:

Almost 57 here, and I am always at the rink really early hoping to get into the room to spend at least a half hour stretching and warming up.  Last night was my >40 draft league, and as I'm sitting in the hallway at 7:55 munching on popcorn (pre-game superstition) waiting for the room for my 9:00 game, a captain from one of the 8:00 teams comes out of his room and asks me if I can play.  Their 38 year old goalie forgot to get up from a nap.  Whoops.  So I got dressed and on the ice one minute into the game, and promptly had to stop a breakaway.  I felt like the tin man after a heavy rain.  Eventually, I warmed up and we ended up winning.  But I was gassed for my game at 9:00.  The 9:00 ended in a 2 - 2 tie and I played a good game.  Normally I'm tired on nights when I play two games but not dead.  I almost fell out of bed this morning because I am so beat up.

Synopsis:  I'm old and need my full pre-game ritual.  At the same time, I'm just happy to still be able to play hockey :)  

@beansbats: great job!

60 here and there's now way I could do what you did. My best is 2 xs a week 5 days apart and even that is a big lift. I am happy with once a week.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 11:45 AM, beansbats said:

Good on you! Playing a back-to-back and playing well is always a good time. Good for the goalie confidence. The other way, not so much,...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finished my first season back playing second in the league with sv%. The dude ahead of me is 20. I'm 26 years older than him.

Drop off the first few games where I was rusty as heck... I'm hanging with these punk snot nosed kids!

1939's WIZARD OF OZ Dorothy finds rusted Tin Man color 8x10 scene | eBay

Edited by MTH
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MTH said:

I finished my first season back playing second in the league with sv%. The dude ahead of me is 20. I'm 26 years older than him.

Drop off the first few games where I was rusty as heck... I'm hanging with these punk snot nosed kids!

1939's WIZARD OF OZ Dorothy finds rusted Tin Man color 8x10 scene | eBay

@MTH; congrats! very well done!

I'm up on 5/5/23 after 4.5 months off....already nervous. 

• Like 1