The Old Man Thread

bunnyman666

Man, I can relate to so many of these posts.  45 and hoping to play till 50.  Arthritis in left hip, had a meniscus tear a number of years ago and injured the same knee a year ago.  Gets harder and harder to get to the rink, let alone play.  My physio is great.  Have full routine before leaving the house.  On the bike, then glute activation exercises then stretch.  Takes about an hour of work before leaving the house but well worth it.  I keep my physio, massage therapist and chiropractor on speed dial.  

The big thing I've been told is as long as you are willing to put the work and time into maintaining your body for the enjoyment of playing goal then it's well worth it.  There will come a day where I'm stretching before a game and I'll just say screw it.  Not worth it anymore and retire.  Glad I'm not to that point yet!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, daffy said:

Man, I can relate to so many of these posts.  45 and hoping to play till 50.  Arthritis in left hip, had a meniscus tear a number of years ago and injured the same knee a year ago.  Gets harder and harder to get to the rink, let alone play.  My physio is great.  Have full routine before leaving the house.  On the bike, then glute activation exercises then stretch.  Takes about an hour of work before leaving the house but well worth it.  I keep my physio, massage therapist and chiropractor on speed dial.  

The big thing I've been told is as long as you are willing to put the work and time into maintaining your body for the enjoyment of playing goal then it's well worth it.  There will come a day where I'm stretching before a game and I'll just say screw it.  Not worth it anymore and retire.  Glad I'm not to that point yet!

What really worked well for me (38, turning 39 this year) was finding a PT that specializes in PRI, and then doing work with FRC principles for strength and range.

I haven't had to visit a massage tech or chiro since.

59, right rotator cuff rebuilt twice (2004 and 2015), right total hip replacement (2020), left rotator cuff repair March 29, 2023.  Left hip is probably dead.  Probable left total hip replacement June 2023.  Back in net December 2023?  Hopefully...

Wonder, you're still my spirit goalie!

image.jpeg

738A9474.jpg

• Like 10

6 hours ago, FIFTY-SIX said:

Wonder35, creasecollector, daffy:  Thank you boys!

23 hours ago, FIFTY-SIX said:

59, right rotator cuff rebuilt twice (2004 and 2015), right total hip replacement (2020), left rotator cuff repair March 29, 2023.  Left hip is probably dead.  Probable left total hip replacement June 2023.  Back in net December 2023?  Hopefully...

image.jpeg

738A9474.jpg

Bad _ ss endurance, @FIFTY-SIX

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been having more knee pain, so it looks like I may have to go back to wearing the knee braces even though I really don't like wearing them. I guess I could go to a doctor, but I feel like they're just going to tell me to play less or be less fat...

Though, speaking of being less fat, we did recently invest in some new exercise equipment, including a Peloton Tread which costs more than a new set of gear, which I will use a justification next time my wife questions a gear purchase.

• Haha 1

I tried playing after ~5 weeks off with my sprained MCL.  I got midway into the second period, butterflied and made a sharp kick out save, followed by excruciating pain.  I had to get helped off the ice and home.

It's been a week and a half since then, I iced and applied heat for a few days after and started going back to the gym.  The pain has subsided to just about the same level it was prior to the game, however now my inner knee is still pretty swollen (although not very painful to the touch). 

I have an MRI this Friday, I'm hoping I didn't do any meniscus damage but the swelling has me concerned.  I don't foresee playing for most of the spring and summer, which is a bummer because I was lined up to play on 4 teams this summer.   

Edited by jerd31
  • Sad 3

On 4/22/2023 at 11:53 PM, FIFTY-SIX said:

image.jpeg

738A9474.jpg

Back in net December 2023?  Hopefully... 

Just this alone 👏💪!  

• Thanks 1

hey, knee injuries and pain are usually common in old people. My grandpa had the same issues and he consulted a chiropractor. the chiropractic treatment helped him a lot to walk and improve his knee's condition. Chiropractic is a natural treatment and it does not cause any side effects. Better consult a chiropractor if you are struggling with knee pain. They can treat you as best as possible by considering your age.

On 4/24/2023 at 11:45 AM, jerd31 said:

I tried playing after ~5 weeks off with my sprained MCL.  I got midway into the second period, butterflied and made a sharp kick out save, followed by excruciating pain.  I had to get helped off the ice and home.

It's been a week and a half since then, I iced and applied heat for a few days after and started going back to the gym.  The pain has subsided to just about the same level it was prior to the game, however now my inner knee is still pretty swollen (although not very painful to the touch). 

I have an MRI this Friday, I'm hoping I didn't do any meniscus damage but the swelling has me concerned.  I don't foresee playing for most of the spring and summer, which is a bummer because I was lined up to play on 4 teams this summer.   

Had my MRI last Friday, waiting to hear from orthopedic surgeon but the results from the imaging folks:

•High grade complete/near complete tear of the MCL

•Articular surface fraying in addition to partial and full-thickness fissuring of the patellar cartilage 

• Sad 2

On 5/4/2023 at 11:27 PM, jerd31 said:

Had my MRI last Friday, waiting to hear from orthopedic surgeon but the results from the imaging folks:

•High grade complete/near complete tear of the MCL

•Articular surface fraying in addition to partial and full-thickness fissuring of the patellar cartilage 

Sorry to hear this. How'd it go w/ the surgeon?

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Sorry to hear this. How'd it go w/ the surgeon?

They called me yesterday and said they don't necessarily agree with the MRI tech's diagnosis.  They had two ortho surgeons look at it and they'd classify it as a grade 2 sprain.  No damage to ACL or meniscus, everything else seems fine.  They said cartilage damage in patella is early signs of arthritis and pretty typical for my age, nothing that's a result of the injury. 

Told me to take another 3-4 weeks off from playing and wear a brace when I get back on the ice.  I've been in the gym and have no limitations so that's good.  It's feeling a lot better, still a little pain in the morning and if I twist/manipulate my knee enough, but not to the level it was even a couple weeks ago. 

I'm hoping to be back on the ice first week of June but I'll see how it goes between now and then.   

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So after being off since November of 22, I got back this past Friday, 5/26/23. Pleasantly surprised that I was able to last the entire 90 min skate. Couldnt stop a beach ball but it felt really good to see shots and get a hockey sweat. Going to try on 6/2/23.

• Like 5

Skated this past Friday, 6/2/23. Positives: got on the ice & my conditioning is better than I expected. Not hockey shape but kinda close. Negatives: high school and college hockey is done and boys are home from college and high schoolers have no leagues right now, several bruises (maybe a positive?), and didnt play so hot together with one college fella beating me with a lacrosse goal and another deking me into the parking lot leaving my jock on the ice. Had a blast. Here are two examples of a relic long past its shelf life.

20230602_222306.jpg

20230602_222642 (1).jpg

• Like 3

On 5/11/2023 at 11:28 AM, jerd31 said:

They called me yesterday and said they don't necessarily agree with the MRI tech's diagnosis.  They had two ortho surgeons look at it and they'd classify it as a grade 2 sprain.  No damage to ACL or meniscus, everything else seems fine.  They said cartilage damage in patella is early signs of arthritis and pretty typical for my age, nothing that's a result of the injury. 

Told me to take another 3-4 weeks off from playing and wear a brace when I get back on the ice.  I've been in the gym and have no limitations so that's good.  It's feeling a lot better, still a little pain in the morning and if I twist/manipulate my knee enough, but not to the level it was even a couple weeks ago. 

I'm hoping to be back on the ice first week of June but I'll see how it goes between now and then.   

Skated last week for the first time since re-injuring the knee, played the last 10 minutes of my team's game and had no issues.  Then played a full game this past Sunday night and had no issues- felt a little pain on one save but it didn't linger.  A little sore the past couple days but nothing serious.  Have another game tonight, then one on Friday night...hopefully all goes well this week.  

• Like 5

On 6/7/2023 at 10:50 AM, jerd31 said:

Skated last week for the first time since re-injuring the knee, played the last 10 minutes of my team's game and had no issues.  Then played a full game this past Sunday night and had no issues- felt a little pain on one save but it didn't linger.  A little sore the past couple days but nothing serious.  Have another game tonight, then one on Friday night...hopefully all goes well this week.  

Played 5 games in the last 8 days, knee is sore and swollen but otherwise is holding up well.  

Have three games this week, was asked to play last night and tonight but opted to rest it for a couple days.  Hopefully my leg doesn’t fall off 😂 

• Like 3