Thinking of trying standup instead of the modern game

bunnyman666

2 hours ago, Fullright said:

Man, I wish I could have these types of discussions with you boys back in the day. The insight is pretty amazing. 👍

You’re telling me. Even back in the early 2000’s there was nothing like this before. There are so many teams, camps, websites, blogs, podcasts, just everything now. I would have killed to get the exposure kids have now with social media and everything. Anyone remember the goalies world magazines? I still have a bunch of them. Loved them back in the day. Or From the crease? I have all binders of those still. Shit I was looking at the junior teams now and there are soooo many it’s crazy. Ah to be young again. Kids these days have no idea how lucky they got it, light protective gear, a huge community, and a crazy amount of teams and exposure, it’s almost ridiculous. If you guys haven’t seen it, NHL’s Masked Men is on YouTube. I had to have watched that at least 500 times growing up. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, kyledjean said:

You’re telling me. Even back in the early 2000’s there was nothing like this before. There are so many teams, camps, websites, blogs, podcasts, just everything now. I would have killed to get the exposure kids have now with social media and everything. Anyone remember the goalies world magazines? I still have a bunch of them. Loved them back in the day. Or From the crease? I have all binders of those still. Shit I was looking at the junior teams now and there are soooo many it’s crazy. Ah to be young again. Kids these days have no idea how lucky they got it, light protective gear, a huge community, and a crazy amount of teams and exposure, it’s almost ridiculous. If you guys haven’t seen it, NHL’s Masked Men is on YouTube. I had to have watched that at least 500 times growing up. 

There definitely weren’t the numbers of junior teams back when I was young. To be in a Junior B or A team was really something. Now it seems there are zillions of teams. Not a bad thing in the least. TONNES of opportunity compared to when I was a kid. I am glad that it is that way and that hockey has gone from a circus curiosity sport to a decently mainstream (but not too mainstream) sport that can be enjoyed for many years in a person’s lifetime. Can you say that about American Football?

37 minutes ago, Scythe said:

Seems like goaltender is taught like a science now. 

That is the problem. It is the most coached position in hockey, arguably the most coached position in sports. While you can see some differences between tendies, you could put someone in goal wearing someone else’s mask and uniform and not know that someone else is underneath the mask and uniform. 

There has always been a scientific aspect to tending, but now it is damned near robotic. I grew up with the likes of Liut, Millen, Wregget, Roy, Vernon, Wamsley, Palmateer late in his career, Fuhr, and others of that vintage. There was no mistaking them, from their masks to their positioning. Mike Liut played the puck shooting the stick right handed; the fact that you can’t buy a neutral goal stick any longer will make that an impossibility. 

Some of this is an older man lamenting his past youth, but I am seeing the lack of enduring superstars in the sport. There is not one player or goalie that makes me say I am lucky to have seen them play these days; I was lucky enough to see the likes of Gretzky, Howe, Fuhr, et. al. Even Sidney Crosby is starting to fade. Ovechkin is a distant second to Gretzky for me. I think he’s a fantastic player, but he’s no Gretzky. 

• 1 month later...

Archived