Too Late To Start

12 minutes ago, Bikepsych said:

I'm very interested in playing goal tender. Is it too late to start at 61?  Anything in particular I can do to improve my flexibility?

BG

Never too late to start.

I personally stretch at least once everyday.

15 minutes ago, Bikepsych said:

I'm very interested in playing goal tender. Is it too late to start at 61?  Anything in particular I can do to improve my flexibility?

BG

Never.

Look up Maria Mountain on youtube. She has a lot of videos to help with flexibility.

Never too late..

I learned to skate and started playing goal when I was 53, I’m 56 now. If you already know how to skate then that’s a big plus, if not then go to as many public skates, stick and pucks as you can. Take a lesson.

Flexibility is the main thing as it will make you a better goalie and will help reduce the chance of injury. As has been said already look up Maria Mountain on youtube.   Something like this http://www.goalietrainingpro.com/goalies/hockey_goalie_training/beer-league-goalie-basic-training/

Agreed – never too late: I’ll be 61 in ~ 5 weeks. I started back in my 2nd life as a goalie at 54. With reference to @Peter36 comment, I should stretch every day, but always seem to get sidetracked - I'm sure it would help my game and how I feel the morning after 😩.

Agree with everything others have said, especially with reference to Maria’s site. The important thing is to get yourself to a point where you won’t strain something while contorting for a save.

In response to another comment, if I may ask, where would you put your skating ability? This is probably as important as your flexibility as, while you do a lot to avoid injury by dropping, pushing, sliding the correct way, you can only execute these moves with a good level of skating ability.

Keep us in the loop and good luck

@Bikepsych

I think it's fantastic to hear someone who wants to try goal tending - good on ya, man! I applaud your interest, and I hope you get to do this!

I second (or third?) the "stretching," and would add roller work - check out this thread for more:

I'm "only" 40, and doing these almost every night (in conjunction with some exercises, mind you) has kept me on the ice. Super important, and relatively easy in the grand scheme of things.

If you want to do this, invest a little time and effort into your body, because there is no worse feeling than getting to finally live your dream of playing goalie, and then being robbed of that with a probably-preventable injury that sidelines you (...he said, from personal experience... :/)

Archived