1S, NXG, or True 6.0 Stick?

Snowman30

15 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I agree 100% about the performance and that's why the 1X seems like a very niche product to me. I am not a fan. 

You could do the site a favor and get Warrior CR1, we have like no data on that! :giggle:

As for 1S, I am sure the 2S (or whatever it's called) will be a mild evolution of the 1S. Having used both an NXG and 1S, I wouldn't shy away from an NXG today if I got a good price. I personally wouldn't be afraid of the 1S being obsolete. Look at it this way, NXG is still as light any stick that is not the 1S on the market. I would imagine the same will be true for 1S vs 2018 stick releases. 

I want the 1S since it seems to be the more dramatic change from sticks and seems to offer the best performance. But there aren't many reviews on the 1X and it might be better for me to hold out on the 1S for next year for that.

I'm waiting a bit for the Warrior one, I might buy it in a few months.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Hills said:

I want the 1S since it seems to be the more dramatic change from sticks and seems to offer the best performance. But there aren't many reviews on the 1X and it might be better for me to hold out on the 1S for next year for that.

I'm waiting a bit for the Warrior one, I might buy it in a few months.

Cody Porter uses the Warrior, said he really likes it. 

1S make sense based on your criteria 

This thread has evolved past just True vs Bauer. It's a great starting point for all things composite sticks, so I edited the name. 

Anyone own a premier plus and have a scale? I'd love to see the weight on that stick from a real user 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This thread has evolved past just True vs Bauer. It's a great starting point for all things composite sticks, so I edited the name. 

Anyone own a premier plus and have a scale? I'd love to see the weight on that stick from a real user 

I have  a Premier + 27 inch paddle, was around 730 g. Not going to un tape to take a pic. About 50 g more for the R1.9. Not sure if it is worth the extra $ for the +.

I like the Crawford curve, get lots of air. The negative is a lot of vibration from puck hits.

I also have an S1 (best choice), but about a $100 more than the Premier + 

41 minutes ago, goalie said:

I have  a Premier + 27 inch paddle, was around 730 g. Not going to un tape to take a pic. About 50 g more for the R1.9. Not sure if it is worth the extra $ for the +.

I like the Crawford curve, get lots of air. The negative is a lot of vibration from puck hits.

I also have an S1 (best choice), but about a $100 more than the Premier + 

Thanks, that's grams converted to 1.6 lbs. Was that with or without tape?

29 minutes ago, Hills said:

After ringing up a 1S I realized I do not need a $350 goalie stick... Maybe when I'm out of my stash of foam cores.

While I realize goaltending is somewhat of a niche market, that price is ridiculous.

If this continues, one of two things will happen, either: (a)  the cost will drive certain manufacturers out of certain markets (as they won't make the sales they desire - note I didn't say need), or (b) the manufacturers' costs will drive a number of goalies out of the market. Ultimately, if enough of "b" happens, "a" is sure to follow.

Oh and BTW -  I'd be interested to see the material and fab costs on this stick.

17 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

While I realize goaltending is somewhat of a niche market, that price is ridiculous.

If this continues, one of two things will happen, either: (a)  the cost will drive certain manufacturers out of certain markets (as they won't make the sales they desire - note I didn't say need), or (b) the manufacturers' costs will drive a number of goalies out of the market. Ultimately, if enough of "b" happens, "a" is sure to follow.

Oh and BTW -  I'd be interested to see the material and fab costs on this stick.

I agree with everything you said. But I did pay for a S! stick - it is really pretty!

The comparison would be to the high end market for athletic shoes. Probably 99% of purchasers don't need the performance, they just like cool stuff.

And a high % of goalies start playing goal because they like the equipment.

A few years ago a retailer showed me a Bauer internal cost he got by mistake. The comp. goalie stick Bauer cost was about $50.

The only argument against this is most of the manufacturers  now offer 3 price levels for gear. But most of us "never was" goalies still like the cool pro stuff.

I agree with what you said. To carry on with your example of the athletic shoes though…Yes there is some ridiculously priced footwear out there (again, love to see fab/material cost) but if I want to be star on the basketball court (not that that would ever happen) I could still wear my Walmart blue light special Keds and kick some derriere on the court because the skill is not in the shoes.

What always worries me is the average Joe being pushed out of the position (or barred from even giving it a try because of the over-inflated cost of some gear. Presently the cost of equipment is “tiered” based on play requirements, quality etc. That’s fine in that, for a guy like me - I can purchase the less-than-pro-level stuff and still play where I play. But if low price stuff starts translating into $300 sticks etc., I’m going to have to take up shuffleboard.

(I’ll stop now as I am once again taking a thread off topic…)

13 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

I agree with what you said. To carry on with your example of the athletic shoes though…Yes there is some ridiculously priced footwear out there (again, love to see fab/material cost) but if I want to be star on the basketball court (not that that would ever happen) I could still wear my Walmart blue light special Keds and kick some derriere on the court because the skill is not in the shoes.

What always worries me is the average Joe being pushed out of the position (or barred from even giving it a try because of the over-inflated cost of some gear. Presently the cost of equipment is “tiered” based on play requirements, quality etc. That’s fine in that, for a guy like me - I can purchase the less-than-pro-level stuff and still play where I play. But if low price stuff starts translating into $300 sticks etc., I’m going to have to take up shuffleboard.

(I’ll stop now as I am once again taking a thread off topic…)

Doesn't really matter because in a few years, anyone under 6' 5" won't be allowed to play goal anyway.

• 1 month later...

So just to add my 2 cents. Always have used foam core wood sticks but decided I wanted to try a state of the art composite once I got my new pads. 

Got a 1S and basically fell in love with it the first time I used it. So light. Feels great in my hand and I can shoot great with it too. 

But then within 2 weeks, maybe 5 games in it broke with a hard slapshot to the middle of the blade. Ugh. 

Luckily it was within 30 days so I exchanged it for a new one under warranty. Will see how this one holds up now. But I would be pissed if it also breaks soon as that is too much $$ to spend on a stick that breaks often. 

For the performance I have no issue paying so much but it also has to last a decent amount of time for that price!

On 14/07/2017 at 6:05 PM, TheGoalNet said:

You should look at Used.  I'm amazed at how poorly gear holds values now 

I got 3 1S from Hockey Stick Man for under $300 usd

2 used and 1 new pro stock 

I picked up my 3 total one nxg sticks for $300 cnd shipped. They came from whl goalie. I agree used/demoed seems to be the best way to go price wise. I guessing the new 2s stick will be pushing close to $400.

I can never catch hockey stick man when he has goalie sticks. I have even offered to pay up front for a couple to get some.

20 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Hey all... looking to make the move from Passau foam cores to a composite stick... in my research it looks like the Bauer 1S is the clubhouse leader... but wondering about opinions/reviews on Warrior or True... any and all info/options welcome!!!

I wrote some initial impressions in the "staff" section on the True 6.0

Dying to see a Warrior CR1, only seen the lower end sticks 

Have you held any of them in your hand? I find the composites all feel crazy different just holding them 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Dying to see a Warrior CR1, only seen the lower end sticks 

Have you held any of them in your hand? I find the composites all feel crazy different just holding them 

Not yet.  Doing some shopping next week. Huge Montreal and Warrior fan.  And my last set of sticks were custom Passau's. 

really leaning towards the CR1

25 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Not yet.  Doing some shopping next week. Huge Montreal and Warrior fan.  And my last set of sticks were custom Passau's. 

really leaning towards the CR1

IMO, The Supreme line is the best on the market. It's basically weightless in your hand and has crazy balance 

However, if it's not cup of tea, I can comfortably recommend the True. I think I'd like the True even more if I'd never used a Bauer, haha

Let us know what you think of the Warrior

@Hills - have you seen the CR1?

24 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@TheGoalNet any idea what the Vapor line of sticks are like?

Not used them on the ice, but I didn't care for them in the shop. They feel very heavy compared to other models.

1X is a different take on the composite.

1S is supposed to be the lightest and most technologically advanced stick on the market. It feels like nothing else. (I get that may not be a positive to everyone)

1X is supposed to feel more like a traditional stick, but take advantage of the potential durability increase of adding composites. That stick has a wood core in the paddle. I'd take the True 6.0 over that any day 

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

IMO, The Supreme line is the best on the market. It's basically weightless in your hand and has crazy balance 

However, if it's not cup of tea, I can comfortably recommend the True. I think I'd like the True even more if I'd never used a Bauer, haha

Let us know what you think of the Warrior

@Hills - have you seen the CR1?

Only used it once so can't totally comment. It is also my first composite. My only takeaway so far is that it is light and I have a hard time deflecting pucks with it. Feels like they bounce off instead of deflecting.

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I used the CR1 as well 5-6 times. Super light, but couldn't stand how much it would vibrate in my hand. Same problem I have with all composites. Definitely will be sticking with foam core from now on. I passed it on to @Hills for him to try.

Have you tried any Bauer Supreme products?

Archived