1S, NXG, or True 6.0 Stick?

Snowman30

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Have you tried any Bauer Supreme products?

Actually, my first ever goal stick was an older Supreme model (this was late 2014 I think). I loved the paddle shape, but same issue. Felt so pingy every time it got hit with a shot. Switched to wood, and I thought it felt great but man they were heavy. Now I've settled on foam core. 

I tried the composite as my first stick because I figured if I don't know any better, then there isn't an adjustment period (kind of like having my first set of leg pads having no leather straps). But I hated the feel. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Actually, my first ever goal stick was an older Supreme model (this was late 2014 I think). I loved the paddle shape, but same issue. Felt so pingy every time it got hit with a shot. Switched to wood, and I thought it felt great but man they were heavy. Now I've settled on foam core. 

I tried the composite as my first stick because I figured if I don't know any better, then there isn't an adjustment period (kind of like having my first set of leg pads having no leather straps). But I hated the feel. 

Interesting! When I hear the stick is pingy I always assume it's someone coming from Foam to composite. Great stuff, thanks for posting. 

Made is down to the LHS this morning... Big takeways:

1.  The 1S is stupid light... makes me question is long term durability... My major hang up is the $329 price tag

2.  Warrior CR1 was comparable to S190 in weight.  I've used Montreal/Warrior foam cores for a long time (prior to ordering custom Passau's a year ago) and love the feel of their sticks.  I've read a few reviews about vibration in the stick tho.  The shop only carried Bishop and Quick curves (I previously used the Rask/Kipper - Heel cruve) and I'm leaning heavily on going with the Mzraek (twist) curve.

3.  Store only had the True 4.5... seemed similar in weight to my Passau foam cores, and was almost "flimsy" in my hand.

Right now I'm leaning in the CR1's direction but just noticed that the Hockey Shop in Surrey, BC has a pile of 1s pro returns on for $249 CAD...

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 2.29.47 PM.png

On 9/5/2017 at 4:47 PM, cwarnar said:

Made is down to the LHS this morning... Big takeways:

1.  The 1S is stupid light... makes me question is long term durability... My major hang up is the $329 price tag

2.  Warrior CR1 was comparable to S190 in weight.  I've used Montreal/Warrior foam cores for a long time (prior to ordering custom Passau's a year ago) and love the feel of their sticks.  I've read a few reviews about vibration in the stick tho.  The shop only carried Bishop and Quick curves (I previously used the Rask/Kipper - Heel cruve) and I'm leaning heavily on going with the Mzraek (twist) curve.

3.  Store only had the True 4.5... seemed similar in weight to my Passau foam cores, and was almost "flimsy" in my hand.

Right now I'm leaning in the CR1's direction but just noticed that the Hockey Shop in Surrey, BC has a pile of 1s pro returns on for $249 CAD...

Thanks for the weight comparison between CR1 and S190. That's the type of info I've been waiting on. 

5 hours ago, MTH said:

I jumped to a Supreme composite after decades of foam core use. Did a write up back then. Same stick is still going strong today.

http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/equipment/equipment-reviews/3260535-old-bastid-review-of-bauer-composite-one-5-stick

This is actually the stick I mentioned in my above post. Didn't have it long. 

5 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Thanks @MTH... I'm likely gonna grab a pro return 1S for the same price as the Warrior and then grab a CR3 as a back up stick.

I was going to say. Grab the 1S at that price. Actually just get 2 of them! They are absolutely amazing. No surprise that majority of pros use this one. 

I have a 1S and NXG and while both are good sticks, the weight difference makes the 1S feel much better in my hand. 

28 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Lots of NHL guys still use NXG and it's got a 1S graphics package. Don't shy away from it! 

What is the reason they don't just use the 1S? I've used both and they feel very similar except the 1S is lighter. 

I know the reason is comfort and don't like changing but I see no downside to switching to a similar but lighter stick...

11 minutes ago, 1C5 said:

What is the reason they don't just use the 1S? I've used both and they feel very similar except the 1S is lighter. 

I know the reason is comfort and don't like changing but I see no downside to switching to a similar but lighter stick...

Likely the same reason guys like Schnieder and Quick still want a V2 leg channel.  Combination of superstition and refusing to change. Same way in the 2000's guys just had new graphics skinned on older model pads. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 1C5 said:

For anyone in Canada and wanting any sticks, Pro Hockey Life has $50 off $299 on until Oct 1. Brings down the price of 1S sticks a bit as they are never usually allowed in these promotions. 

Good stuff, thanks 

As for guys sticking with NXG, mug gut says it's a preference. I've used both and agree. Very similar, 1S is just lighter 

• 2 weeks later...

If i can add to the speculation, it may be that pro nxg users are wed to the blade pattern and not necessarily the "feel" of the older twig. Maybe it is just pure coincidence, but I have yet to see a P34 1S. Rather, it seems to be exclusively available in a P31 even for the big guys.

33 minutes ago, brennytheball said:

If i can add to the speculation, it may be that pro nxg users are wed to the blade pattern and not necessarily the "feel" of the older twig. Maybe it is just pure coincidence, but I have yet to see a P34 1S. Rather, it seems to be exclusively available in a P31 even for the big guys.

Funny timing on the P34, that's been a hot topic lately. At the recommendation of The Goal Crease, I got P31 when I wanted a P34 for my NXG when those were new. 

I saw a P34 Reactor last week and loved it. Totally a want 2S P34 when the time comes! 

I've only bought one composite... a Bauer and I honestly don't even recall what model. I broke it just as fast as a foam core of course, hated the vibration etc. anyway. With a price tag so high, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to not get 3 custom Passau twigs instead. My thinking is that if I'm reliant on my stick being THAT light to make a save, I have a technical breakdown somewhere that I should address long before purchasing a single stick for that much. Just my opinion of course.

1 minute ago, BadAngle41 said:

I've only bought one composite... a Bauer and I honestly don't even recall what model. I broke it just as fast as a foam core of course, hated the vibration etc. anyway. With a price tag so high, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to not get 3 custom Passau twigs instead. My thinking is that if I'm reliant on my stick being THAT light to make a save, I have a technical breakdown somewhere that I should address long before purchasing a single stick for that much. Just my opinion of course.

I'm with you. Can't stand the vibration. Maybe I could have gotten used to it, but when its at least 2x the price, why would I want to? 

Archived