Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheGoalNet

new phone case

Recommended Posts

Have an iPhone X

After going through 3 Apple silicon cases in 18 months... open to suggestions on something new 

The apple case provided just enough drop protection and I liked the aesthetic. However, the silicon peals

Anyone have a thin case that also has decent drop protection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the outbox defender is the way to go. Not too thin and not too bulky. 

Phones are expensive take care of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Have an iPhone X

After going through 3 Apple silicon cases in 18 months... open to suggestions on something new 

The apple case provided just enough drop protection and I liked the aesthetic. However, the silicon peals

Anyone have a thin case that also has decent drop protection?

How thin?

Pitaka makes a great Kevlar case

The other 2 awesome ones are the Patchworks Level ITG and Spigen Thin Fit 360

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

For me the outbox defender is the way to go. Not too thin and not too bulky. 

Phones are expensive take care of it. 

I found my Otterbox Defender on iPhone 6 wore down pretty quickly; the rubber ripped with wear pretty easily.

Personally, I just try to find cases on Amazon for $20-30. I have been using a case from Cellever which claims to be waterproof for the last 7 months on my iPhone 6. Here's a link to the iPhone X version: https://www.amazon.com/CellEver-Waterproof-Shockproof-Certified-Protective/dp/B0777GKK1B/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=cellever%2Biphone%2Bx%2Bcase&qid=1564570534&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TitanG said:

I found my Otterbox Defender on iPhone 6 wore down pretty quickly; the rubber ripped with wear pretty easily.

Personally, I just try to find cases on Amazon for $20-30. I have been using a case from Cellever which claims to be waterproof for the last 7 months on my iPhone 6. Here's a link to the iPhone X version: https://www.amazon.com/CellEver-Waterproof-Shockproof-Certified-Protective/dp/B0777GKK1B/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=cellever%2Biphone%2Bx%2Bcase&qid=1564570534&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

How does the rubber rip if it's inside and a plastic shell on the outside? What do you do to your phone 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

How does the rubber rip if it's inside and a plastic shell on the outside? What do you do to your phone 😂😂

The outside on the iPhone 6 Otterbox Defender model is entirely rubber and would peel away from the plastic "skeleton" of the case and rip at the power port and headphone jacks due to opening and closing:

New: 81impvG5gyL._SY445_.jpg Used: image.jpeg.85f1746be234705b42883440b438d82a.jpeg

I didn't have this issue with many cases I have used since then, so I would recommend using a case with plastic on the outside or with a more durable rubber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TitanG said:

The outside on the iPhone 6 Otterbox Defender model is entirely rubber and would peel away from the plastic "skeleton" of the case and rip at the power port and headphone jacks due to opening and closing:

New: 81impvG5gyL._SY445_.jpg Used: image.jpeg.85f1746be234705b42883440b438d82a.jpeg

I didn't have this issue with many cases I have used since then, so I would recommend using a case with plastic on the outside or with a more durable rubber.

That's so strange the outside should be plastic 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

That's so strange the outside should be plastic 🤔

The outside of both of mine have been a rubber material. Both were the black ones. My fiancee has a turquoise and grey one and her back is plastic like you mentioned.

Regardless, I've never had any durability issues aside from the rubber getting very loose around the edges on my first one. But that was due to my overplaying around with it. Current one has lasted almost two years with no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Have an iPhone 

Well there's your problem

😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an Otterbox Statement for a few days and found it too bulky. I don't think the Defender would work for me because it's too bulky.

Looking on Otterbox's website, maybe the Symmetry would work. That's the model my wife has and it feels twice as bulky as my apple though.

Anyone have the leather apple?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone have the leather apple?

It has the same problem that the silicon ones have. At least they have for me. The bottom corners get caught on stuff and the break easily since it's just a thin piece of plastic with leather wrapped around it. I haven't had the peeling of the silicon yet but I have only had this one on for a few months and the corner already breaking. I used the thinnest lifeproof on my last iPhone and if I recall it didn't add too much bulk and lasted a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, wox33 said:

It has the same problem that the silicon ones have. At least they have for me. The bottom corners get caught on stuff and the break easily since it's just a thin piece of plastic with leather wrapped around it. I haven't had the peeling of the silicon yet but I have only had this one on for a few months and the corner already breaking. I used the thinnest lifeproof on my last iPhone and if I recall it didn't add too much bulk and lasted a long time.

Maybe I just need to accept the Apple cases are crack and they have me for $40/year 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Maybe I just need to accept the Apple cases are crack and they have me for $40/year 

Pretty much. I keep buying them since I hate bulky cases and convince myself that since they are Apple they will totally last longer than some off brand version when I know full well that isn't true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...