• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Powdercoat is a totally different animal. It has to be super clean, as the metal is electrostatically charged and then the powder is baked in an oven.

Posted Images

Neither did I!  I was tipped me off to it and in retrospect I was like "of course that's a thing!" but I'd never heard anything about it before so just assumed you could only do solid colors.  If it holds up like I think it will, it opens the door to being able to integrate the cage into the paint job a lot more without sacrificing durability, or being restricted to simple gradients and solid colors.  

6 hours ago, GoalieCustomizer said:

@TheGoalNet Sure!  

Basically what I did was start with a white powder coated base, prepped the base with a scuffing pad, masked off the white areas, and painted a black base and the blue on top of that with the airbrush, then was super careful with it till I got it clear powder coated lol.  

NOTE: Start with a WHITE powder coat base if you want any white on your cage.....my first attempt was a black base with white and blue paint on top, and the baking process for the clear powder coat toasted the white paint making it really yellowish.  No idea what it will do to other light colors but the blue and black paint seemed unphased by it.  I used Createx water based paints, I would assume solvent based paints would likely be even less phased by the baking process, but I don't know, so safe bet is to get the base done in the lightest color you plan on using.

I haven't had a chance to use the mask yet so we'll see how it holds up over time, but the clear powder coating feels strong and looks really good.  I tried to chip the first attempt a bit and it held up great, so I'm thinking it's gonna be as good as any powder coating, and the best option if you want to do something that requires some amount of painted artwork on it.

DSC_0113.JPG

Wow... great paint job. If you need anyone to test it out for you just let me know. Any reason you didn't go w/ some powder coated hardware as well?

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Wow... great paint job. If you need anyone to test it out for you just let me know. Any reason you didn't go w/ some powder coated hardware as well?

No particular reason really, doing something with the hardware would have been cool but also would have cost more and I'd dumped enough time and money into it at that point, so I just cleaned up the old hardware as best I could.

4 hours ago, GoalieCustomizer said:

No particular reason really, doing something with the hardware would have been cool but also would have cost more and I'd dumped enough time and money into it at that point, so I just cleaned up the old hardware as best I could.

You'd understand that when I see a paint job (including the cage) done that well... it was easy for me to forget there was such a thing as a budget. 

3 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

You'd understand that when I see a paint job (including the cage) done that well... it was easy for me to forget there was such a thing as a budget. 

haha Ya, I went well over what I wanted to spend too, both in time and $.  Still gotta invest in some outsider straps, then I'll leave it alone for awhile.  Depending on how everything holds up this year I might do some touching up and re-clear next summer, maybe consider doing something with the hardware then.

58 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

@GoalieCustomizer do you do the powdercoating yourself? 

Nope found a local shop to do it.  Clear was just under $30, I guess they do clear a fair bit on those tumbler mugs or something, so had them do it while they were doing some of those which kept the cost down.  Since I did it twice and had to have it stripped and re-based once it wound up costing almost as much as a new cage in total lol.  If I'd started with a white cage it would have only been that one clear coat tho.

Edited by GoalieCustomizer
  • 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Chaps said:

How did the paint hold up?

Short answer is that it holds up as well as well as you can avoid shots to the bucket. I recently painted my mask and cage... but got a couple chips on it last night. Worst part is that it wasn't even a shot... it was a stick. Paint adhesion was pretty darn good and clear was an automotive 2 part... still chipped.

Originally painted...

A0F95D1C-6287-48D1-BD5D-469F6B9F7AEB.thumb.jpeg.623302bb1ee35286fc81e5b40217cf01.jpeg

Chips...

Cage_Paint_Chips.thumb.jpg.55e84583bf41471d4ddf55d3b731b58d.jpg

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Short answer is that it holds up as well as well as you can avoid shots to the bucket. I recently painted my mask and cage... but got a couple chips on it last night. Worst part is that it wasn't even a shot... it was a stick. Paint adhesion was pretty darn good and clear was an automotive 2 part... still chipped.

Originally painted...

A0F95D1C-6287-48D1-BD5D-469F6B9F7AEB.thumb.jpeg.623302bb1ee35286fc81e5b40217cf01.jpeg

Chips...

Cage_Paint_Chips.thumb.jpg.55e84583bf41471d4ddf55d3b731b58d.jpg

Damn, I used Rust-Oleum  painters touch to paint mine white already, I was a little concerned about the chipping.  I'm playing tonight with it.  Guess I will find out, trial by fire.

I did spray some paint on to a old cooking sheet and tied that to the net and shot a few pucks at it, it seems to be holding up well, even with the bending of the pan from impact there is no chipping but who knows with the flex of the cage.

Rust-Oleum is not an automotive paint with the acrylic so maybe it won't chip. I'll let you know if and when I get hit in the head whether the paint holds up or not, we all know it's a matter of time.

Thanks for replying 

On 3/24/2021 at 6:42 AM, Chaps said:

How did the paint hold up?

It's chipped pretty quickly. Depends what your tolerance is for touch up

$50 or so to get one air brushed locally, way easier!

On 3/24/2021 at 12:39 PM, Chaps said:

Damn, I used Rust-Oleum  painters touch to paint mine white already, I was a little concerned about the chipping.  I'm playing tonight with it.  Guess I will find out, trial by fire.

I did spray some paint on to a old cooking sheet and tied that to the net and shot a few pucks at it, it seems to be holding up well, even with the bending of the pan from impact there is no chipping but who knows with the flex of the cage.

Rust-Oleum is not an automotive paint with the acrylic so maybe it won't chip. I'll let you know if and when I get hit in the head whether the paint holds up or not, we all know it's a matter of time.

Thanks for replying 

I've had a few games now with the new paint and its holding up pretty well.  Rust-Oleum Painters touch 2x coverage.  Works great in my opinion