The Cage Thread

TheGoalNet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, RichMan said:

I switched to a certified cat-eye some years ago and I can still see as well as a pro cat-eye. You soon forget that the extra bar is there, and it's much safer. I have a slight ding in one of the bottom bars and having seen what can happen on a good one timer, I prefer playing it safe.

Not a chance you can.

Cert Cat Eyes are absolute garbage. If you want to mix safety and sight lines, just get a straight bar cage. Even the crappy Bauer ones (like the image below) are better than cert cats.

Lousy: img_aspx.thumb.jpg.feaf9dd48ffd0b9f9585ef6ecad88edd.jpg

Absolute hot mess of garbage that has terrible sightlines, barely any safer than above and makes you look like an absolute bender: bauer-goalie-accessories-nme-certified-cat-eye-cage.jpg.aaf3fe8b087544c2053c58d011d49162.jpg

God I hate Cert Cat Cages.

Haha I tend to agree about cert cat-eyes - I've never really understood them, so many bars.

I had to use straight bar cage when I struggled get a replacement cat eye, and it wasn't too bad as the peripherals and downward vision is possibly slightly better than a cat eye, which somewhat makes up for the hit you take on straight ahead vision.

Currently have a Hiller cage from goaliecages.com, decided to give it a shot as it has vertical bars supporting the curved bar of the cat eye, which for me is always the place cat eyes get bent back first.

1 hour ago, raucebyalien said:

Haha I tend to agree about cert cat-eyes - I've never really understood them, so many bars.

I had to use straight bar cage when I struggled get a replacement cat eye, and it wasn't too bad as the peripherals and downward vision is possibly slightly better than a cat eye, which somewhat makes up for the hit you take on straight ahead vision.

Currently have a Hiller cage from goaliecages.com, decided to give it a shot as it has vertical bars supporting the curved bar of the cat eye, which for me is always the place cat eyes get bent back first.

I have one of those. I loved it for the downward vision, but it made the eye holes smaller and put the bottom bar of the eye openings in JUST the wrong spot. 

I also find their cages too big. I wear an NME and it’s almost like they make their cages for the fit3, making them a real bitch to get onto a fit1.

1 hour ago, ruckus007 said:

Cert Cat Eyes give me tunnel vision, cuz all the extra bars mess with my peripheral vision, which is already pretty diminished due to my tiny asian eyes. 

LOL

This is where I’d post an Asian meme if it wasn’t going to risk somebody accusing me of being racist... 

7 hours ago, Harman said:

Anyone use this to repair welds on cages / dented cages? 

Please don't. This is just epoxy putty with metal dust in it. 

If you are going to attempt to repair welds on a cage, at the very least bring it to a certified welder and have him/her actually weld the joints. 

This is not welding. This is glue. 

On 1/16/2018 at 8:35 AM, craig said:

Please don't. This is just epoxy putty with metal dust in it. 

If you are going to attempt to repair welds on a cage, at the very least bring it to a certified welder and have him/her actually weld the joints. 

This is not welding. This is glue. 

@Harman to add to what Craig said- whilst epoxy has been used to bond metals, it is for dissimilar metals combined with another method of mechanical bonding, i.e. “screw and glue”, which was a popular method for building bike frames in the ‘80s and early ‘90s.  

Stay far, far away from this stuff for repairing a cage. My belief is that by the time you bend it back and weld it back together, you will have a very brittle cage. If a bar is bent to the point where it breaks a weld, that cage has served its purpose; replace it promptly!

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

No. Cages are designed to dent, like a crumple zone in a car. Replace it. 

Well put Freely - I don't want to sound like a snob but Jesus Christ man if your to cheap to replace a dented cage you should not be playing hockey!

56 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Well put Freely - I don't want to sound like a snob but Jesus Christ man if your to cheap to replace a dented cage you should not be playing hockey!

I have a couple kicking around new in package just in case I need to replace it and can’t wait for one to be shipped. 

I often see people on GGSU say it’s fine if it’s only a dent. WTF. Don’t take that risk for $50 or whatever.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:28 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I have one of those. I loved it for the downward vision, but it made the eye holes smaller and put the bottom bar of the eye openings in JUST the wrong spot. 

I also find their cages too big. I wear an NME and it’s almost like they make their cages for the fit3, making them a real bitch to get onto a fit1.

Yeah I found that to some degree - if you look at Hiller's actual airxess one the vertical bars that meet the curve of the cat eye are a lot more..vertical I guess (!) and meet the cat eye more to the side of the mask, opening up the front of the mask even more.

Also concur with sizing issue - every non-Bauer NME cage I've had has always taken a lot of wrestling to get it mounted properly!

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 22.31.17.png

Archived