Ccm jetspeed FT480

Ryan W

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get them? After going through Bauer and True, these skates, for me, blow both out of the water. Fit, form, finish, protection, weight, blade. Everything feels so much more dialled in. Finally, my last piece of gear has been checked off, I am at peace with my setup. 

I was getting a great deal and was sure I was getting them. Problem is they were just too narrow for my feet and apparently don't offer EE width. So I went with the vapor x2.9. After 1 skate the EE Bauer's still feel a bit too narrow and weren't overly comfortable but definitely performed better than my very old cowling Reebok's.

3 hours ago, Ryan W said:

I was getting a great deal and was sure I was getting them. Problem is they were just too narrow for my feet and apparently don't offer EE width. So I went with the vapor x2.9. After 1 skate the EE Bauer's still feel a bit too narrow and weren't overly comfortable but definitely performed better than my very old cowling Reebok's.

CCM screws up once again on the skates, 3 or 4 years too late on the cowingless. I was also interested and like you waaay too narrow it's a shame. My 2x in EE have enough width though and I'm happy with it, got rid of the 3mm blade though. 

12 hours ago, Ryan W said:

9 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

CCM screws up once again on the skates, 3 or 4 years too late on the cowingless. I was also interested and like you waaay too narrow it's a shame. My 2x in EE have enough width though and I'm happy with it, got rid of the 3mm blade though. 

Untitled.thumb.png.169f1a1ea29984dacde0144efda02b4f.png

Not sure where you guys are getting your information from. But CCM offers both the FT2 and AS1's in EE width.

23 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

@aircanuck I am curious about your impressions between the ccm ft480s and true 2piece. was looking at some Trues in the near future.

@MangoRhinehart These have been a home run for me. I DO have narrower feet, and they were perfect fit. The ankle feels nice and anchored. I don't have the exact numbers at hand, but the True 2 piece were heavier. My Trues felt like they had been made for someone else's foot, despite being custom made for my foot and even rebaked numerous times.

Compared to the True skate, the Jetspeeds look much more well-put-together. Fit and finish, everything lines up, no gaps, it looks right. I found the longer blade a bit of a different feeling from the trues. The toe seems to stick out more, so if you push more towards your toes, you get a lot more grab with the ice. You just don't want to drag your toes when skating, they will bite you (me)! 

I'm glad CCM took their time getting into the cowingless, the extra time really put them ahead of the pack for me. I did put the Bauer Speed plates in for the insoles which dialled in the skate even more, I couldn't recommend this modification more. Skates are such a personal thing though, your mileage will certainly vary! Anything specific you want to ask, just let me know!

@aircanuck  Thanks that helps.  I think I have pretty average feet.  I am not looking to shave every gram, but definitely want to switch to cowlingless. Currently in a set of Ribcor 50ks, so I could save a lot of weight, and now some pain.   I bought a pair of very used 1x Vapors, but that was a rough experience for me.  True seems to be the go to for comfort and I was looking at just picking up the stock setup and baking them, though their durability seems to be an issue.  I do tend to push off the toe when down so the Jetspeeds may have some promise for me.

I guess I am off to the local hockey shop to try stuff on, once I sell a mask.

12 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Untitled.thumb.png.169f1a1ea29984dacde0144efda02b4f.png

Not sure where you guys are getting your information from. But CCM offers both the FT2 and AS1's in EE width.

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear, this thread is about the ft480s. Ccms 2nd tier skates are not offered in different widths unlike bauers 2nd tier skates.

Archived