The argument that equipment CAN make a difference in how you play

bunnyman666

We’ve heard the argument “It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian” for years and years. I have countered with “what if the arrow is severely crooked?”

However- if your pads are malfunctioning or don’t fit, with all other factors being equal with other goalies, the ill-equipped goalie will work harder, work against their equipment and even be distracted by the parts malfunctioning. A worn out glove or chest protector will make a goalie perform not to their best as they are having to play with a stinger.

Take out the Ed Belfours, Arturs Irbes and Marty Brodeurs who possess something so different than any of us who aren’t in the show. Yes- they used old pads, old chest protectors and goal pads that you could feel shots in, but these tendies were also beyond unique. Ordinary people do not stand out, nor is anyone in the show an ordinary person. Extraordinary people sometimes thrive on fighting their equipment.

A deficient helmet could easily get you out of the game with one good shot to the head. And if your skates can’t be sharpened any longer, you will have troubles. I still argue that your skates and helmet compete for being the most important equipment.

@seagoal posted a video in the Vintage Gear thread that showed a modern goalie playing in older gear. I would argue that he could have changed his technique to play in stand up pads. However- older pads are not optimised for modern play. You will not slide across the crease in pads designed NOT to rotate. 

Bottom line: it does not have to be the best equipment, it just has to fit and be in good, working order. Equipment CAN work against you if it is not right. I will, however, concede to the concept of buying equipment thinking it will improve your game being a silly pursuit unless what you’re replacing is dilapidated or doesn’t fit.   

A long time ago i bought a lair of Koho 550 pads in white and grey. My favorite pads ever i think.  I bought them too small but played so well in them.  My game has been modelled around playing in smaller pads.  Even now when i order pads they are usually 1" shorter than they should be.  A change in pads to taller height would mess me up.

I have also found that my game and movements change when i use a stiffer pads. I find myself doing different movement on ice.  Not sure why.  To me pads definitely can change the way i play.

3 minutes ago, daffy said:

A long time ago i bought a lair of Koho 550 pads in white and grey. My favorite pads ever i think.  I bought them too small but played so well in them.  My game has been modelled around playing in smaller pads.  Even now when i order pads they are usually 1" shorter than they should be.  A change in pads to taller height would mess me up.

I have also found that my game and movements change when i use a stiffer pads. I find myself doing different movement on ice.  Not sure why.  To me pads definitely can change the way i play.

You are NOT wrong, my friend!!!!!!

Unfortunately their company was picked up by the local news stations here in GR. A lot of non goalies like the shit. So frustrating. There are way to many goalie schools now a days as well, everyone thinks they can be an amazing coach/instructor. So many stupid useless drills that are just drills and don’t correlate into game situations. So damn annoying to see constantly on Instagram.

7 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Unfortunately their company was picked up by the local news stations here in GR. A lot of non goalies like the shit. So frustrating. There are way to many goalie schools now a days as well, everyone thinks they can be an amazing coach/instructor. So many stupid useless drills that are just drills and don’t correlate into game situations. So damn annoying to see constantly on Instagram.

Most just DON’T GET IT!!! Sad, but true!!!!

13 hours ago, daffy said:

This really hits home for me... i feel best in 32" pads no + sizing. Stuff i can actually walk and skate in without knee blocks the size of Mt Everest. 

In a couple days I hope to post something that will probably get some laughs but maybe not.. i don't know.. it doesn't really matter. I'll explain how i sold myself on buying them. There that's the teaser 😉

19 minutes ago, Scythe said:

This really hits home for me... i feel best in 32" pads no + sizing. Stuff i can actually walk and skate in without knee blocks the size of Mt Everest. 

In a couple days I hope to post something that will probably get some laughs but maybe not.. i don't know.. it doesn't really matter. I'll explain how i sold myself on buying them. There that's the teaser 😉

You’re doing it wrong; teasing is supposed to be weeks of spam with no actual information. Also throw in hyper-zoom pics of any random gear, grade 5 level word play and ignore any direct inquiries put to you. Now THAT’S how you do a teaser!

(joking aside, looking forward to seeing what you have in the works!!)

Archived