Bison Stick Repair

slade037

So I finally made the jump to composite goalie sticks almost a year ago.  I bought a college stock P1 and loved the feel and my passing/shooting much better.  The guy who I bought it from had a few more, so I bought 3 more since the price was really good.  Turns out my problem is that I make a good amount of saves with the shaft.  

I broke one stick twice and just broke another from a shot to the shaft in a span of 6 months.  My foam cores can take much more of a beating but I couldn't deny the performance.  If I didn't get these at a discount, I'd be kinda pissed if I ended up spending $200+ that often.

Luckily, the first break was high enough up the shaft that I fixed it with a Warrior Pure Hockey 8 inch composite plug.  Cheap and quick.  Flex'd the same.  I couldn't really tell much of a difference.  The 2nd break was right above the blocker.  An 8 inch extension wasn't going to help.  But the internet came through and showed me the Bison Hockey Sticks Hockey Stick Repair System.  They have different sizes so after I cut my shaft so I could put them back together, I got out my caliper and got the measurements and placed my order.  I got the 16 mm x 26 mm kit.

image.png.85976ac4329d5454b9f3da985d6ae2a0.png

Followed the instructions and slid the A side towards the paddle.  I did have to use sand paper to sand down the corners of section A to help get that half of the black composite piece in the stick.  Took the other half of my stick and slide it on the B side to make sure it fit.  That half went in easy.  Once I verified everything fit, I mixed the epoxy and connected A.  

image.png.638dd08b4714b9903b9ac70c0fad55fe.png

Let it dry for 24 hours and did the same with the other side.

image.png.69907ead62372d82372dd670e5d0ed21.png

And here's the finished product.

image.png.5ff4f295f88bdec2cfc4b45a5c89b0af.png

The stick ended up being about 2 inches shorter than normal.  That didn't bother me as I kinda wanted to try a shorter shaft anyway.  I've played with this stick in a few practices and pickups and I can say that it's held up real well.  I can play the puck as well as I did before and probably wouldn't be able to tell you anything was different about the stick during game situations.  I will be buying another one of these kits to fix my other broken stick.  In my opinion, I think it's worth $30 to increase the life of your $200+ investment.  

I didn't even know stick repair was a thing? I've loved the couple of (albeit super cheap) composites I've tried, but when I go to buy myself a new stick I always seem to get drawn in by the affordability/durability combination of foam cores. Like you say, I have trouble paying the $200+ for a decent composite that might experience sudden and complete failure on any given shot (it seems). This might tip me over in the future

Archived