Passau Stops Custom Stick Program

cwarnar

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

The problem is most composites sticks makers are off shore now and most of the big companies own them. I don't believe there is a single composite stick maker in North America anymore. For small company like Passau it could be a costly venture to get into.

Pretty sure Warrior has the old Easton facility in Mexico, but that’s the the only one. 

This story is also part of the reason composites have risen at pro. Guys want consistency. The foam cores got worse and worse as people shifted to composite. Composites are nearly identical batch to batch. Couple that with undeniable performance benefits and the foam core is dying 

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

The problem is most composites sticks makers are off shore now and most of the big companies own them. I don't believe there is a single composite stick maker in North America anymore. For small company like Passau it could be a costly venture to get into.

Interestingly they did offer a foam core paddle with a composite shaft.

I know they recently switched factories as they reduced the number of custom options.

Warrior also closed their foam core factory in Finland earlier this year

19 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Interestingly they did offer a foam core paddle with a composite shaft.

I know they recently switched factories as they reduced the number of custom options.

Warrior also closed their foam core factory in Finland earlier this year

I remember that option.  The balance on that stick must've been non existent.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 5:30 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Pretty sure Warrior has the old Easton facility in Mexico, but that’s the the only one. 

This story is also part of the reason composites have risen at pro. Guys want consistency. The foam cores got worse and worse as people shifted to composite. Composites are nearly identical batch to batch. Couple that with undeniable performance benefits and the foam core is dying 

Even I've moved to composite at this point. That's saying something. 

I saw something about this, Passau claiming the sticks were not up to their quality standards, and they also had phased out the Trigger grip (or was it all custom grips?) prior to ceasing the program. I thought I saw a member post about not receiving the sticks as ordered a while back too.

Does Northstar not use the same manufacturer? Should we be weary of them now? (i.e. poor quality, specs not as requested, no custom grips, etc.)

23 minutes ago, HP29 said:

I saw something about this, Passau claiming the sticks were not up to their quality standards, and they also had phased out the Trigger grip (or was it all custom grips?) prior to ceasing the program. I thought I saw a member post about not receiving the sticks as ordered a while back too.

Does Northstar not use the same manufacturer? Should we be weary of them now? (i.e. poor quality, specs not as requested, no custom grips, etc.)

That was me. I ordered mine with the custom grip and whatever size it was (the Passau equivalent of Warrior 26" - I don't recall the actual size). I received them and they didn't have the grips and were about 2" too big. They said they stopped doing the grips (but wasn't told ahead of time that was the case) and I seem to recall they refunded half my money, or something like that (again, i don't remember). I ended up cutting my own grips into them with a dremel, which meant cutting down the paddle too. So I ended up with the grip shape I wanted on my nice new red "ASSAU" sticks. 

That said, I really liked them other than the paint chipping being far worse than my Warrior foam cores, but I don't really care about that too much.

22 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

What is your weapon of choice?

CCM Premier P2.5. I got one just on a whim for a tournament and it had none of the pingyness that the CR1 I had used had. I don't know if its because it's a CCM (first CCM goalie stick I've ever used), or if its because its a lower-end stick, or because I had cut my custom grip into it (which means I hold the paddle with my whole hand) but there was no pingyness at all. I've since bought another one. 

When a composite I actually like becomes just as cheap as the foam cores I used to like, it's time to switch. 

Thanks @IPv6Freely!

I flip flop between trying comps again and sticking with foam core. I always hated the concussion through my hand on EVERY stick save, but I hear this is mostly a thing of the past.

I also use a trigger grip, which would seem like a problem, but you cut your own custom grips, so maybe there's something there...

24 minutes ago, HP29 said:

Thanks @IPv6Freely!

I flip flop between trying comps again and sticking with foam core. I always hated the concussion through my hand on EVERY stick save, but I hear this is mostly a thing of the past.

I also use a trigger grip, which would seem like a problem, but you cut your own custom grips, so maybe there's something there...

I'm not sure if other sticks have gotten better now or not but I'm definitely happy now. A trigger grip should be no problem at all. The paddle (at least on the CCMs I modified) do have some material in them so you don't even need to epoxy over the cut unless you don't use tape on your grip. With mine I'm basically cutting out the entire bottom shoulder of the paddle so a simple trigger should be no big deal. 

Archived