What Knee Pads Do You Wear?

TheGoalNet

So... Wearing my size M 1S (34+1) pads last night made it completely clear why people are so hot on Knee guards. I think that most people gave up on the +2 and +3 tigh rises when the NHL did. The M pads were not too small in the knee landing, but the thigh rise left me exposed. 

With my 35+2 GNetik, I never had an issue and had a great overlap. I am pretty sure that pad would NOT be NHL leagal for me at 6'2" with around a 18.5" ATK

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowman took a look at my sons CCM Pro knee pads and noticed the screws you where talking about - timing could not be better as the screws on one of the pads was coming loose!

I also dont understand how these screws can hurt you - you are not supposed to be landing on that section??  Do your knee pads rotate on you??

They did a couple of times and it was enough for me to change them out to lace. I still don't understand the point of helmet screws in knee pads, especially in an area where you could land on them. Also they are prone to coming undone overtime time so I went out replaced the crappy steel screws that rust easily with stainless and put a little blue lock tight on them

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I still don't wear knee pads.  Thankfully I have flexible hips and knees.  I'm gonna be in trouble when the time eventually comes thought because I tried the stock Vaughn thigh wraps and I tried the knee wraps that came with my pants and I hated both.

Although everyone advised against it, haha

I think I'm taking the plunge for some Maltese. I don't wear anything now and I'm thinking that might be a nice medium. As long as they stay in place, I'll be happy 

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Although everyone advised against it, haha

I think I'm taking the plunge for some Maltese. I don't wear anything now and I'm thinking that might be a nice medium. As long as they stay in place, I'll be happy 

I think that's where I would end up going too.  I've seen them in person once before and they're very low profile.  A bit heavy though.

• 1 month later...

Took a blast off the top of my knee last night. Was in a brutal VH and a dude cranked one below the circle and off the top of my knee for the dropped leg. 

Thought of this thread - where I boasted that "I never get hit there"... I lied.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Took a blast off the top of my knee last night. Was in a brutal VH and a dude cranked one below the circle and off the top of my knee for the dropped leg. 

Thought of this thread - where I boasted that "I never get hit there"... I lied.

I actually have that same paranoid thoughts... that's why I almost never mention I am freak and don't wear knee guards 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

This for sure. The Warrior knee pads are pretty standard for length, I'd be more inclined to know why a thigh shot that (should) be hitting your pants hurts.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

My thoughts exactly

Yup Yup... my first guess is pad interference pushing you pants up... but even then that's a Pants thing. If you're square to the puck or even in the midst of a reaction save... there shouldn't be a gap between pants and thigh/knee guards.

17 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Yup Yup... my first guess is pad interference pushing you pants up... but even then that's a Pants thing. If you're square to the puck or even in the midst of a reaction save... there shouldn't be a gap between pants and thigh/knee guards.

My pants are senior medium and I’m 5’7” but I think it could’ve been a freak accident because I narrow butterflied on a breakaway.

10 hours ago, Turbo said:

My pants are senior medium and I’m 5’7” but I think it could’ve been a freak accident because I narrow butterflied on a breakaway.

I hear ya. I wear a Medium as well and I'm 5'9" (5'10" in morning skates) and maybe my V5 7800s just need to be replaced, but I've found they occasionally get caught on my pads when i go down in the butterfly and end up getting pushed up. I wear some Frankensteined knee/thigh guards that have kept me off IR (knock on wood.) Considering getting Small on my next set of pants. 

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm 5'9", medium Bauer Reactor 5 pants, and 33+1 V6.  Never have a problem with my pants getting stuck.

Oddly enough when I had a pair of Bauer Reactors I don't recall having that issue either. Not sure what size they were but likely were oversized for me... and it's just recently I've noticed the V5s doing this. I dunno... maybe I'm spending too much time looking at Instagram and where the bottom of pants end up on those lucky guys who have managed to make a living between the pipes. Then again... I'm also just itching to buy some new gear. 

Archived