What Knee Pads Do You Wear?

TheGoalNet

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

Anyone had any luck with brown  kneepads or the new ccm ones?

I had Brown 2400... Loved them.  The lift was especially nice.  I sold them when I got into my RGT set and am now using the supplied Warrior Sr knee pads which are also really fantastic

12 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

Anyone had any luck with brown  kneepads or the new ccm ones?

I wore Brown knee pads for a long time (2100) and they performed well. Flexible, not too bulky, fit any knee cradle and protective. For the 10 years I had them, I can't think of maybe one time where I got a stinger, it was just one of those that happen irregardless of what you wear. They got damaged in a flood and I had to throw them out. I got my hands on some ReasonY ones (240 or 260 model) which are no longer produced. They do the job but I kinda miss my Browns some.They're on my 2018 list :)

On 11/29/2017 at 4:05 PM, RichMan said:

Curious about these. Has anyone tried them yet? Are they pro or senior?

Tried at store maybe month ago. It is a pro version, but I personaly didn´t like the fit (I can´t stand anything that didn´t fits me knees good, without any compromises) and protection from sides and on white parts.  The front black part/shield (with Bauer logo) is to bulky for the overal not so protective pads. I have nothing against bulky pads (use KOHO regulary), but it must be with the adequate protection...

Bought 1S instead.

1 hour ago, itis121 said:

Aren't the 1x knee pads just reactors with garter/pant loops and a curv Sheild at the loop. Or did they trim the side of the knees to make room for the Sheild elastic? 

I don´t think that 1X are same as reactors. Protection and materials looks better and overall fit is different.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:05 PM, RichMan said:

Curious about these. Has anyone tried them yet? Are they pro or senior?

I just demoed the Vapor 1x pads from GM and these came with the set. A little bulky even with an open knee block. There could be more protection on the sides of the knees. They didn't hurt as much as the Supremes did when they shifted. I have Brown 2400 and they are great. Flexible, fit the knee well and have good lift/padding around the sides of the knees. 

2 hours ago, Cruskater said:

I just demoed the Vapor 1x pads from GM and these came with the set. A little bulky even with an open knee block. There could be more protection on the sides of the knees. They didn't hurt as much as the Supremes did when they shifted. I have Brown 2400 and they are great. Flexible, fit the knee well and have good lift/padding around the sides of the knees. 

If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the browns?

I tried the vapor found the cap got in the way - I cut it off, but you lose a lot of protection doing that.

Also vote for Brown. I have a pile of knee pads and always go back to Brown. Can't remember the price but it is same range as the other pro pads. Good thing with Brown if you want something custom he will make the change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 2:29 AM, mik said:

I have this pads for cca 2-3 years and can agree with everything raucebyalien wrote. But I had no problems with build quality yet. Yes, the foam inside of knee cups is glued, but holds quite well. I replaced laces that holds carbon plate - original was thin and "slippery" with tendecy to unlace (if it is clear what I mean :$). Protection is overkill for the game I play, but with my narrow butterfly... This knee pads are massive and surely only for pads with huge open knee area, when you do not use  velcro strap over your knee. Were designed for KOHO Revolution pads line and works well with them... I tried them in Vaughn Ventus pads - no way :(. 

Overall, realy happy with them, ordered second set (to use with KOHO pads). My other kneepads are Bauer 1S which I use with Ventus pads - bauer are no way that protective or comfy like KOHO.

@mik

Oh, and if you ever want to spare your 2nd set, I'd probably be interested. I'm located in Canada so to get these at a good price is difficult. But hey, seems like these are working out great for you. Awesome!

And I use CCM Premier's (open knee cradle), so these seem like they would work perfectly with them. Thanks again for all of your insight on these Koho's. 

16 hours ago, creasecollector said:

@mik

Oh, and if you ever want to spare your 2nd set, I'd probably be interested. I'm located in Canada so to get these at a good price is difficult. But hey, seems like these are working out great for you. Awesome!

And I use CCM Premier's (open knee cradle), so these seem like they would work perfectly with them. Thanks again for all of your insight on these Koho's. 

I´m extra "picky" about knee pads & neck guards - must be perfect fit or they go.  But these are the best pads I ever had/tried.

If I remember correctly, CCM Premier line has the same (almost same) open knee area as my KOHO pads, so kneepads s´hould work without any problems. It needs little time to get used to bigger pads, but protection and comfort of this knee pads outweights their bulkiness and price. They should be crafted little better (stitching instead of glue, laces - nothing that you can´t improve at home), but originaly they were 1000 USD  custom swiss pads for NHL-ers... 

btw. I´m in Europe, so this will not help you with the good price due to shipping & import rates :D . It is hard to get anything from GM here, so 2nd set was no brainer when there was a chance...

On 12/13/2017 at 1:55 AM, mik said:

I´m extra "picky" about knee pads & neck guards - must be perfect fit or they go.  But these are the best pads I ever had/tried.

If I remember correctly, CCM Premier line has the same (almost same) open knee area as my KOHO pads, so kneepads s´hould work without any problems. It needs little time to get used to bigger pads, but protection and comfort of this knee pads outweights their bulkiness and price. They should be crafted little better (stitching instead of glue, laces - nothing that you can´t improve at home), but originaly they were 1000 USD  custom swiss pads for NHL-ers... 

btw. I´m in Europe, so this will not help you with the good price due to shipping & import rates :D . It is hard to get anything from GM here, so 2nd set was no brainer when there was a chance...

Just scored a nice deal on a slightly used pair (they are practically brand new) from a fellow goalie this week. Will update with pics/initial thoughts & pics when they arrive. 

Perfect! And yes, the CCM Premier line has a big knee cradle. Plus I use the "Price strapping" with my velcro, and I go down the outer calf instead of behind the knee. Should leave me with tons of room to get used to these new knee pads. 

And while it's not a perfect comparison, I'm coming from an already "bulky" set of knee pads with a pair of old RBK knee guards (grey and black) from many years ago. I get the Koho's are much, much bigger, but at least I'm starting with some experience with having something bulky on my knee when I play. So we shall see how things go! I'm sure they'll be some adjustment period of course, but I'm excited once I get a feel for 'em. 

If you like the 1X, I’d order them now. Per GGN, Bauer is getting down to 1 line of knee pads. 1X & 2S will not coexist 

Also, with Brown 2400, do people have the model with “built in knee lifts” - what is that all about, seems that would be awkward for movement while standing up? Is there such a thing as too much knee lift?!

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Also, with Brown 2400, do people have the model with “built in knee lifts” - what is that all about, seems that would be awkward for movement while standing up? Is there such a thing as too much knee lift?!

The lift is built almost like a knee landing into the knee pad itself.  I quite liked the lift, and it never interfered with anything.  It’s barely noticeable and comfortable despite not being overly soft.

3B425D83-069D-4F70-9FE5-C757331965FA.jpeg.37b479739f204719f53107cf31f5431c.jpeg

This could just be purely anecdotal on my part, but I always assumed that the advantage of "knee lifts" is they give you a better/easier angle for your leg to push when you're in butterfly. So you're sitting up a little higher, and your leg has is already at a slight angle, rather than perfectly horizontal to the ice. 

That could have zero basis in reality, but when I first started to wear knee pads, I noticed a marked difference in my ability to push out of a butterfly than when I had bare knees. 

I use the CCM 500 knee guards, I bought them this summer. For 5 years before that I used the quote on quote garbage Reebok grey knee guards. I freakin loved the things, never slipped or anything?the only reason I got the CCM 500 knee guards was because the grey Reebok knee guards were too small (they were junior). When I went to try on all the different knee guards I tried 1s, 1x, CCM 500, the newer version of the CCM 500, and the Vaughn. I found the CCM to fit the best, and I was comfortable with the design since they’re pretty much the same as the old Reebok’s 

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I tried them on in store, they felt like garbage, and too bulky for my liking

I find that odd as looking at them, they kinda resemble the old D&R pads from my younger days. Compared to the common 3 piece models out for the last 3-5 years, the Bauers I posted seem as streamlined as the Browns I also wore a couple years ago.

n4aarq.jpgs-l225.jpg

Looking forward to hearing the full review of the 1X - currently in Passau but used to love the feel & low profile of the old Reactor model. Unfortunately due to a narrow butterfly I tend to to take hard shots straight to the knee and the Reactors are no way robust enough to take direct bombs (example - got taken out of a game on a direct shot wearing the Reactors and then giving them a 'second chance' got nailed with a hard wrister in training that was painful enough to think i was going to puke xD )

Didn't get along with the Gnetik knees that came with my pads and the nylon ended up splitting on the knee cup, so I modded the Reactors to have the Gnetik shield over the top.

IMG_1325.JPG

18 hours ago, RichMan said:

I find that odd as looking at them, they kinda resemble the old D&R pads from my younger days. Compared to the common 3 piece models out for the last 3-5 years, the Bauers I posted seem as streamlined as the Browns I also wore a couple years ago.

n4aarq.jpgs-l225.jpg

Keep in mind I’ve worn the grey Reebok/CCM knee guards my whole 6 years playing goal, and those are really streamlined, which I love

Archived