Is CCM Gear Durable?

jayluv54

On 9/6/2019 at 1:47 PM, Puckstopper said:

Bingo.  CCM's pro line is top notch in terms of durability.  The second and especially third tier stuff isnt' quite as good, but that's to be expected from any MFG.  To be honest I've only had one pair of second tier pads and my Brian's Gnetik 5.0's held up beautifully given what I paid for them.  The SubZero3's I replaced them with lasted noticeably longer and were still in great shape when I sold them.  There was a noticeable difference though between the two sets at the end of a couple years in them.  TBH it seems to me like Brians and Warrior make the best quality senior level/second tier gear historically.   I'll be interested to see how Bauer does extending custom colors down to the second tier, and I also have to give Vaughn some love as they've carried the Primo sliding surface down to the non-pro SLR2's.

If I'm going to use any Sr level gear, its Warrior.  I can honestly say that there is little difference in quality and durability and I've found it to be the best bang for my buck in recent years.  $1,000 for a new set(exchange rate), use it for 1 year with no issues and then sell them for $700.  Having used Sr. G3's and R/GT2's compared to Pro R/GT's and G4's, there is little to no noticeable difference within that time frame and beyond depending on how much you play.  And that goes for each piece of gear, not just pads.  Most Sr. level gloves are throw aways unless you like stingers, but Warrior's are very usable at fairly high levels of play.

NOTE: Mods split this thread

The senior level CCM's are garbage. My Premier 2.9 fell apart after 4 months, and I do not play at a high level or abuse my gear.

General input from the local hockey shop guys that play a higher level tells me their P2 Pro's are not very well made either, compared to the previous generation of PRemiers.

21 minutes ago, ruckus007 said:

The senior level CCM's are garbage. My Premier 2.9 fell apart after 4 months, and I do not play at a high level or abuse my gear.

General input from the local hockey shop guys that play a higher level tells me their P2 Pro's are not very well made either, compared to the previous generation of PRemiers.

I used my P2s the most over the last 12 months. I had no issues with wear.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I used my P2s the most over the last 12 months. I had no issues with wear.

One of the better ones? The general feedback I got was that it wasn't TERRIBLE (The pro version). But most were disappointed with them compared to PRemier 1 or previous versions (XLT, etc). 

In general both Bauer and CCM are lower quality vs Brian’s and Vaughn - my son has had a pair of P2s Pro with 100 speed skin for the last 12 months and they are holding up pretty good but not even close to his previous Brian’s. He’s had a CCM Premier CA for less than 9 months and it’s showing a bit of wear (not impressed ). 

He also has a CCM Pro mask - I have to say I’m impressed both the protection and quality holding up pretty well

My comments above have nothing to do with the performance of the product(s) .

1 hour ago, ruckus007 said:

One of the better ones? The general feedback I got was that it wasn't TERRIBLE (The pro version). But most were disappointed with them compared to PRemier 1 or previous versions (XLT, etc). 

Unfortunately hadn’t had Premiers since OG P1, so I can’t compare them to anything else recently 

18 minutes ago, Big2 said:

In general both Bauer and CCM are lower quality vs Brian’s and Vaughn - my son has had a pair of P2s Pro with 100 speed skin for the last 12 months and they are holding up pretty good but not even close to his previous Brian’s. He’s had a CCM Premier CA for less than 9 months and it’s showing a bit of wear (not impressed ). 

He also has a CCM Pro mask - I have to say I’m impressed both the protection and quality holding up pretty well

My comments above have nothing to do with the performance of the product(s) .

Shell of CCM pro is 100% carbon fiber. Most masks that use carbon fiber mix it with something else. CCM believes this is the strongest possible shell. 

I had a set of Eflex 3.9, all in speed skin that I used for a little over a year that wore okay. The leg pads were in good shape still, but the glove and blocker seemed worn. 

I've been using a set of P2s for the same amount of time, and they've faired far better. Speed skin is only on the sliding surfaces. I chalked it up to the difference between senior and pro. Zero complaints.

the longer your product lasts, the fewer people will buy a new one. this is the law of modern business and can’t get anywhere else, unfortunately. This trend is very noticeable in the automotive industry and now has reached goalkeeper outfits. each new generation of gears becomes “better”, it’s more technologically advanced and more expensive. At the same time, it crumbles after a year or two of use. at any level. And people are forced to update their equipment more and more often, thereby stimulating sales and the development of a new gear. IMHO

6 hours ago, ser33 said:

the longer your product lasts, the fewer people will buy a new one. this is the law of modern business and can’t get anywhere else, unfortunately. This trend is very noticeable in the automotive industry and now has reached goalkeeper outfits. each new generation of gears becomes “better”, it’s more technologically advanced and more expensive. At the same time, it crumbles after a year or two of use. at any level. And people are forced to update their equipment more and more often, thereby stimulating sales and the development of a new gear. IMHO

I don't think planned obsolescence is a huge factor in how pad manufactures tackle their business model.

Durability is a larger factor in customer satisfaction than strictly performance. Hockey is a very expensive sport, goaltending specifically. Companies would essentially be shooting themselves in the foot if they actually planned to have their pads break down in comparison to others.

Agree with Coop’s comments.

Planned obsolescence was a term certainly borne from the auto industry, but I don’t necessarily think they planned for vehicles to fail at a specific time, I think the term is really a slang reference to the fact you can take something like a bearing and statistically determine for a given load how many cycles (revolutions) it could take before failure. There was no need for them to put a 50 year bearing (at the associated cost) in a car they assumed would only last 20 years under normal wear and tear.  The planned obsolescence in the auto actually occurs when they stop producing parts for a specific vehicle after a specific amount of time (just like where Windows no longer supports my Win NT OS – bastards!)

It would be pretty difficult to design a pad to fail after a certain amount of shots as shot intensity alone is difficult to predict (don’t forget there is a certain percentage of people out there using pro-level material where junior equipment would be plenty tough for the shots faced).

Where issues come up though is if the manufacturer cheaps out on certain materials such as straps or thread type – inexpensive components that are so integrally important to the gear, which when they fail make you question how the manufacturer could be so stupid (and start to accuse them of doing this for a higher purpose).

16 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Я не думаю, что запланированное устаревание является огромным фактором в том, как производители планшетов решают свои бизнес-модели.

Долговечность является более важным фактором удовлетворенности потребителя, чем строго производительность. Хоккей - очень дорогой вид спорта, особенно вратарь. Компании по существу будут стрелять себе в ногу, если они действительно планируют сломать свои колодки по сравнению с другими.

I didn’t mean exactly the planned obsolescence) rather, the fact that manufacturers are abandoning "excessive durability". perhaps this is due to the current trend of making gears as light as possible. using other or thinner materials, both in the casing and in the core. Perhaps for this reason the modern gear has become less durable. And it's not about the number of stitches and the thickness of the threads)

I agree with you that longevity is an important factor for consumers, but what do we have now? seldom what senior-level pads serve 5 or more years without complete destruction. not to mention the initial level. I owned Itech GW 4.8 pads for 6-7 years, who saw ice 3-4 times a week all year round. the only thing that happened to them was the paint on the chart and the skin on the slip points were erased. look what happens to the same Bauer S150, S 170 in a year or two. they completely die.

remember how Lundquist changed a lot of pairs of 1S pads per season. And it's not just about breaking up a new revolutionary skin. The core itself is also breaking down on this model. And this is a level model. what then to talk about entry-level pads?

this is exactly what I meant.

You are right that less weight - > less durability. The latest Premier is a lot of lighter than the older models. But I would say that quality of Itech 4.8 was same as S170 and I don´t say that S170 are well made. Nowadays it´s just so much easier to complain and upload a picture to Internet. 

I think Lundy used real Od1n pads, he had to replace them after two or three using times. 

One thing I will say is that CCM stands behind their product.  My new blocker started developing a hole in the palm right around the 90 day mark.  I emailed them pics, explained the situation and they have worked with me to get the glove back on the ice ASAP.  When I couldn't find anyone locally (Columbus SUCKS for gear repair) to take on the job they offered two mail order options and offered to pay shipping.   I'm more than satisfied with the way they've handled business. 

are guys like Irbe no longer around? I mean I know a lot of you guys still repair and mod your own stuff .. but is it getting harder to self repair today's equipment or just easier to sell it and buy new stuff? It seems like nothing is sacred anymore.. everything is disposable.

7 minutes ago, Scythe said:

are guys like Irbe no longer around? I mean I know a lot of you guys still repair and mod your own stuff .. but is it getting harder to self repair today's equipment or just easier to sell it and buy new stuff? It seems like nothing is sacred anymore.. everything is disposable.

I’m still repairing and modifying my gear. It’s certainly difficult to call Prime P4 modern))) but nothing has changed much since it was released. With the exception of new skin materials that improve sliding. cores now all of ordinary polystyrene foam

4 hours ago, Scythe said:

Similar to the point made earlier about planned obsolescence...manufacturers simply don't want us to keep anything for a long time, so they will come out with a new product that is "lighter, faster, more protective, all-new, innovative, etc." even if its really just the same shit as last year or innovative means more elastic, velcro and foam.  Hey Carey Price is wearing something that at least resembles it, so it's got to be good right?  Either way, we need to try it because it will improve our lives, our game, whatever.  Everything is a "game-changer" so we have to have it because it will make us better.  The reality is...no it won't but its fun to spend money and try new shit while trying to look like NHL superstars.

I learn this lesson every once and a while when I take my latest and greatest equipment and get out played by the guy wearing V2's and skates so old they look like some kind of leather shoe from the 1940's.  Yes its humbling, but I take pride in knowing I looked better than that guy in my loss.  However, it could be the pads fault that I lost and maybe I should look at those new Brian's because everyone says they are an innovative game-changer or maybe I need $1000 skates to better transfer all of my explosive energy better than these $250 pro skates I got on clearance 3 years ago.  Take my money!    

On 9/12/2019 at 12:00 PM, jayluv54 said:

Similar to the point made earlier about planned obsolescence...manufacturers simply don't want us to keep anything for a long time, so they will come out with a new product that is "lighter, faster, more protective, all-new, innovative, etc." even if its really just the same shit as last year or innovative means more elastic, velcro and foam.  Hey Carey Price is wearing something that at least resembles it, so it's got to be good right?  Either way, we need to try it because it will improve our lives, our game, whatever.  Everything is a "game-changer" so we have to have it because it will make us better.  The reality is...no it won't but its fun to spend money and try new shit while trying to look like NHL superstars.

I learn this lesson every once and a while when I take my latest and greatest equipment and get out played by the guy wearing V2's and skates so old they look like some kind of leather shoe from the 1940's.  Yes its humbling, but I take pride in knowing I looked better than that guy in my loss.  However, it could be the pads fault that I lost and maybe I should look at those new Brian's because everyone says they are an innovative game-changer or maybe I need $1000 skates to better transfer all of my explosive energy better than these $250 pro skates I got on clearance 3 years ago.  Take my money!    

LoL Awesome! 😅

I think it really needs to be taken more into account how much gear construction and manufacturing has changed in a lot of our time. It's no longer a stuffed pad, we're now landing and sliding on a specific set area of the pads, they're less likely to sag, the regulations are more strict, etc. They're not really "pillows" anymore.

I play with some people still using the likes of: Velocity 1-6, Vaughn Epic, Eagle Fusion, Brian's DX2, Brian's GNETIK2, Brian's SubZero 3, RBK Premier 1-3, Itech X-Factor and X-Wing, Bauer Vapor xXx... Hell I played with a guy still using his TPS Xhales. A lot of it shows a lot of wear, but if you want to make it work you still can and it's totally obviously going to depend on how much you play. I have yet to see anyone have stuff completely shred itself on anyone, but there's not a lot of CCM or Bauer around me.

Archived