Warrior sizing

Ken35

Hey guys,

Just had a quick question on the sizing for Warrior pads.  I am currently in Vaughn V3's that are 36+2" but they seem to be shrinking.  Especially in the boot region.

I tried on a pair of Warrior RGT2's today and was amazed at the feel.  Unfortunately the only size they had on hand was 35+1.5".  I felt like they fit me fairly well but the only thing was I felt that my knee was sitting a little higher than it should on the landing block.  Am I correct in my assumption that the knee should be centered in the landing block or would I be okay with my knee closer to the edge.

When I tried them on I was in my jeans and shoes so no skates to tie them down or strap to my skate.  If I did either of these that would draw the pad down and make my knee come out of the cradle.

I am planning to see if I can find another set of Warrior pads to try on to see if a 36" would fit me better.  I have not measured my floor/ankle to knee measurements in a while and can't remember what they are.  If I needed to I could provide those measurements to make sure I am looking for the right size for my legs.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Also tried on the gloves and was definitely impressed.

Warrior sizing strictly goes by a Foot to Knee measurement.  Its really foolproof

blobid1.png

blobid0.png

The other thing to remember that new pads will feel and fit far different than your V3s.  Take your skates and maybe your pants to help fit proper.  But the fit chart is dead on.  I'm a 19.75 FTK and I wear a 33+1.5 with no boot strap.

The other recommendation I would make is getting an elastic toe tie.  The Warrior ARS is okay, it can be snug.  Pro Laces has a 10% off sale right now with a "TRAVSUCKS" coupon code.  I have GT Pros and love them (and your hips, knee and ankles will thank you):

Image result for pro laces cwarnar

I have to say...something happened somewhere in between the G3 and G4 pads.

I had G3 leg pads and they were bang on. The height was good and the knee sat dead center in the cradle. The next version of the G4 came out and the height was too big and the knee sat differently. The worst part is that I didn't do my due diligence and try on the G4 and ordered them blind. Way too big and I had to sell the gear. Always try on.

Hey guys,

Thank you for the responses. 

@cwarnar the chart helps immensely especially seeing there are absolutely no 36" Warrior pads to be found in town or within 2 hours drive. 

@ULTIMA it is always my plan to try on the equipment prior to purchase but apparently no one wants to stock anything in the size I will likely need.  Though your information definitely helps should I need to look into the used route.

So I just measured out my shin and depending on where I stop the measurement I would be between 21.5 to 22 inches for floor to knee.  Then adding 11 inches above my knee I get 37+1.5 or 38+1.

I guess I really need to find somewhere with a 36" pad to try as I am pretty sure none of the stores around here will stock either of those sizes.

4 hours ago, Ken35 said:

So I just measured out my shin and depending on where I stop the measurement I would be between 21.5 to 22 inches for floor to knee.  Then adding 11 inches above my knee I get 37+1.5 or 38+1.

I guess I really need to find somewhere with a 36" pad to try as I am pretty sure none of the stores around here will stock either of those sizes.

Just remember that new pads will play differently especially with the hypercomp in the face.  You'll likely wanna ditch the boot strap and the pad will sit higher.  Warrior also doesn't move the knee block up a full inch on the 37 vs a 38.  It's 1.2" at the knee and 1/2" on the thigh.  

Best off to try some on at a store or deal with one of the better retailers. I highly recommend @TGC-Rance and the fellas at the Goalie Crease.  They'll be able to take care of all your questions and size you up right

@cwarnar Thank you for all your help.  I definitely appreciate it.  Like I said I am hoping with the new season starting up soon that the retailers will start bringing in the new equipment soon so I could try on a 36".

I am highly aware it will sit higher on my leg I was just worried about the 35" and sitting almost perfectly on the edge of the landing pad without skates anchoring the pad to my foot or a boot strap moving the pad down.

I really liked the stiffness and would love to try out some on ice if at all possible.

When the time comes to seriously look at getting a new pair I will be sure and drop @TGC-Rance a line to see what we can work out.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the demo program at goaliemonkey before (pay a deposit and can take them on the ice)? I’m in the same boat with gear and in a spot that doesn’t seem to stock much (at least not close enough) and figured I’d do that next time. 

I’m wearing a GT2 Senior 34”+2” but think next time I’ll get a 35”+1” to move the knee block up a bit. 

On 9/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, ULTIMA said:

I have to say...something happened somewhere in between the G3 and G4 pads.

I had G3 leg pads and they were bang on. The height was good and the knee sat dead center in the cradle. The next version of the G4 came out and the height was too big and the knee sat differently. The worst part is that I didn't do my due diligence and try on the G4 and ordered them blind. Way too big and I had to sell the gear. Always try on.

This seems accurate. I had a pair of 33+1.5 G2 pads and they fit great. I tried on the same size in the R\GT2 pads in store and they were way too big - my knee was barely landing on the bottom of the block.

• 6 months later...
On 9/15/2019 at 7:39 AM, cwarnar said:

Warrior sizing strictly goes by a Foot to Knee measurement.  Its really foolproof

blobid1.png

blobid0.png

The other thing to remember that new pads will feel and fit far different than your V3s.  Take your skates and maybe your pants to help fit proper.  But the fit chart is dead on.  I'm a 19.75 FTK and I wear a 33+1.5 with no boot strap.

The other recommendation I would make is getting an elastic toe tie.  The Warrior ARS is okay, it can be snug.  Pro Laces has a 10% off sale right now with a "TRAVSUCKS" coupon code.  I have GT Pros and love them (and your hips, knee and ankles will thank you):

Where are you landing On the kneestack? You recommended that I go with 33 too and my ftk measurement is roughly 19.5/75. I only ask because retailer suggested I go with 34 but like you mentioned I want to be mobile and not clumsy. Did your boot break in and cause the pads to settle a little? 

Im worried about ordering a set and having the sizing being off and be stuck with a set of $1500 pads that are to big or small. 

7 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Where are you landing On the kneestack? You recommended that I go with 33 too and my ftk measurement is roughly 19.5/75. I only ask because retailer suggested I go with 34 but like you mentioned I want to be mobile and not clumsy. Did your boot break in and cause the pads to settle a little? 

Im worried about ordering a set and having the sizing being off and be stuck with a set of $1500 pads that are to big or small. 

I was in the top 2/3, but I wore no boot strap so the pad would ride up and sit higher.  I didn't have any issues with settling of the pads for 1.5 years I had them.  I think too many guys are oversizing pads.  I was going to move into a 32" pad if I went back to Warrior for increase mobility.  No way would I want a 34.  

26 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I was in the top 2/3, but I wore no boot strap so the pad would ride up and sit higher.  I didn't have any issues with settling of the pads for 1.5 years I had them.  I think too many guys are oversizing pads.  I was going to move into a 32" pad if I went back to Warrior for increase mobility.  No way would I want a 34.  

This look roughly like your FTK?  I would say I’m between 19.5 and 19.75 

DFF36E38-27BC-46A4-BC20-5DF0D5ADB440.jpeg

F5524279-7964-4A74-A376-CFA0367677CD.jpeg

37BAE154-BB25-48B5-8368-AA924200E706.jpeg

Not that it matters cause ftk sizing, but how tall are you guys?  I'm 5'6" in my G2's but they've settled in the boot channel, and I land near the top of the landing gear now.  5'6 is listed as 32".  I don't remember how much of an issue it was when I first got them. But were so stiff, especially in the boot break, it took over a year before I really liked them ( only playing a few times a month back at that time.) The knee elastic was not a good design, and I should have changed them out much sooner than I did.  I feel like I could wear a 33" now, but a 33" might be super tall and clunky.  Maybe I'd be better off in the GT series, if I need a softened G series.  But I also need to make my pads last 6 years or more.  On the opposite end, I've also considered getting intermediate 32+1's to save cash and increase mobility.

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

This look roughly like your FTK?  I would say I’m between 19.5 and 19.75 

DFF36E38-27BC-46A4-BC20-5DF0D5ADB440.jpeg

F5524279-7964-4A74-A376-CFA0367677CD.jpeg

37BAE154-BB25-48B5-8368-AA924200E706.jpeg

Yup.  I was a 19.5" on the nose.  I was told the newer Warrior series (GT2/G5) may play taller with the hypercomp.  A few guys I talked with went 1" shorter on the GT2 from the GT1.  There is also a chart that shows the where the size difference is on Warrior pads.  I know the knee stack only moves 1/2" from the 33 to the 34.  @Kirk3190 can speak to this as well.  

I was in a 33+1.5 but was going to move to a 32+2 is I decided to order a new set.

Edited by cwarnar

9 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Not that it matters cause ftk sizing, but how tall are you guys?  I'm 5'6" in my G2's but they've settled in the boot channel, and I land near the top of the landing gear now.  5'6 is listed as 32".  I don't remember how much of an issue it was when I first got them. But were so stiff, especially in the boot break, it took over a year before I really liked them ( only playing a few times a month back at that time.) The knee elastic was not a good design, and I should have changed them out much sooner than I did.  I feel like I could wear a 33" now, but a 33" might be super tall and clunky.  Maybe I'd be better off in the GT series, if I need a softened G series.  But I also need to make my pads last 6 years or more.  On the opposite end, I've also considered getting intermediate 32+1's to save cash and increase mobility.

I’m 5’10/5’11 on a good day. I tried on G4 pads and the 33 seemed to fit me but I was not all the way at the top of the knee stack but landing higher than halfway. I also tried on 34’s and they seemed massive and I was landing a little lower but not that much lower. Wish my LHS was open so I could go try them on again 

8 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Yup.  I was a 19.5" on the nose.  I was told the newer Warrior series (GT2/G5) may play taller with the hypercomp.  A few guys I talked with went 1" shorter on the GT2 from the GT1.  There is also a chart that shows the where the size difference is on Warrior pads.  I know the knee stack only moves 1/2" from the 33 to the 34.  @Kirk3190 can speak to this as well.  

I was in a 33+1.5 but was going to move to a 32+2 is I decided to order a new set.

You stated that you don’t use a boot strap so it pulls the pads up higher, would you still be landing on the stack if you did use the boot strap? 

6 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

You stated that you don’t use a boot strap so it pulls the pads up higher, would you still be landing on the stack if you did use the boot strap? 

Yup.  I use to wear the ARS Boot when I first got them.  But boot straps are useless nowadays

On 4/1/2020 at 1:36 AM, cwarnar said:

We have not seen any changes to our leg pad sizing.  What some goalies might be experiencing is how versatile our sizing is because we use 0.5" whereas not all brands do on certain sizes (They go full 1" increments sometimes).  So, changing your size slightly on a Warrior pad won't be a huge leap.. more of a dial it in kind of difference.  We used to have a blog site with an article on sizing.  The blog site is no longer up so I'll copy and paste the article here.  (Sorry it's kinda lengthy!)  You can right click on the diagrams to see the visual representations.

Leg pad sizing can be confusing. Adding to this confusion is the fact that each company has their own way of achieving a range of sizes. In this blog, we will explain how our sizing works and the differences between each size so you have a complete understanding when purchasing your next set of Ritual G3 or R/GT leg pads.

Many goalies prefer the advantages and convenience of going with stock gear as opposed to custom. With this in mind, we have created a leg pad sizing system that allows for a great fit in stock sizes. In truth, our stock sizing offers more variables than some competitor’s custom offering. Here is an explanation of how our sizing system works.

The size of a senior leg pad changes in two main areas by half-inch increments:

1.     Shin Section

2.     Thigh Section

By adjusting our sizing in half-inch increments, instead of full inch increments (some competitors only offer full inch increments; even on custom), goaltenders have more variety in choosing their size and ensuring a proper fit at the knee landing. As an example, a 35+1.5” sized leg pad is taller than a 34+1.5” leg pad by a half-inch in the shin section and a half-inch in the thigh rise section. The end result is the 35+1.5” sized leg pad is one inch taller in the overall pad height. By offering shin sections that vary in only half-inch increments, a goalie can really dial in a perfect fit in the knee landing. This is crucial for performance.

It is important to note that there is custom sizing available to goalies as well. In most cases, this is simply for fine-tuning the thigh section measurement since all of our shin lengths are present in our stock offering (exceptions being 37” & 38” shin lengths). As an example, if a 34+1.5” fits a goalie perfectly in the knee but they require an extra half inch in the thigh section, they would order a 34+2”. A more complicated example would be if the total length of a 34+1.5” is perfect but the knee landing area is too low and needs to be raised by a half inch, the goalie would want to custom order a 35+.5”. This ultimately means the shin section gets longer by a half inch and the thigh section shortens by a half inch, leaving the total length of the pad the same but raising the knee landing.

We approach sizing carefully at Warrior because we know it directly relates to how well a goalie performs in their pads. We are the only brand in the goalie industry to offer a Fit Guarantee Promise on every set of custom leg pads built. We offer a wide variety of stock sizes, utilizing small size increments, providing you the best chance to dial in an exact fit, thus maximizing the performance of your Ritual pads. Elevate YOUR Game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:36 PM, cwarnar said:

GT2 doesn't play any taller than the GT1. I've been in a 33+1.5 for both and they were identical.

It may "play taller" due to a stiffer thighrise, but that's the same argument as getting the same sized G4 pad. 

7 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

We have not seen any changes to our leg pad sizing.  What some goalies might be experiencing is how versatile our sizing is because we use 0.5" whereas not all brands do on certain sizes (They go full 1" increments sometimes).  So, changing your size slightly on a Warrior pad won't be a huge leap.. more of a dial it in kind of difference.  We used to have a blog site with an article on sizing.  The blog site is no longer up so I'll copy and paste the article here.  (Sorry it's kinda lengthy!)  You can right click on the diagrams to see the visual representations.

Leg pad sizing can be confusing. Adding to this confusion is the fact that each company has their own way of achieving a range of sizes. In this blog, we will explain how our sizing works and the differences between each size so you have a complete understanding when purchasing your next set of Ritual G3 or R/GT leg pads.

Many goalies prefer the advantages and convenience of going with stock gear as opposed to custom. With this in mind, we have created a leg pad sizing system that allows for a great fit in stock sizes. In truth, our stock sizing offers more variables than some competitor’s custom offering. Here is an explanation of how our sizing system works.

The size of a senior leg pad changes in two main areas by half-inch increments:

1.     Shin Section

2.     Thigh Section

By adjusting our sizing in half-inch increments, instead of full inch increments (some competitors only offer full inch increments; even on custom), goaltenders have more variety in choosing their size and ensuring a proper fit at the knee landing. As an example, a 35+1.5” sized leg pad is taller than a 34+1.5” leg pad by a half-inch in the shin section and a half-inch in the thigh rise section. The end result is the 35+1.5” sized leg pad is one inch taller in the overall pad height. By offering shin sections that vary in only half-inch increments, a goalie can really dial in a perfect fit in the knee landing. This is crucial for performance.

It is important to note that there is custom sizing available to goalies as well. In most cases, this is simply for fine-tuning the thigh section measurement since all of our shin lengths are present in our stock offering (exceptions being 37” & 38” shin lengths). As an example, if a 34+1.5” fits a goalie perfectly in the knee but they require an extra half inch in the thigh section, they would order a 34+2”. A more complicated example would be if the total length of a 34+1.5” is perfect but the knee landing area is too low and needs to be raised by a half inch, the goalie would want to custom order a 35+.5”. This ultimately means the shin section gets longer by a half inch and the thigh section shortens by a half inch, leaving the total length of the pad the same but raising the knee landing.

We approach sizing carefully at Warrior because we know it directly relates to how well a goalie performs in their pads. We are the only brand in the goalie industry to offer a Fit Guarantee Promise on every set of custom leg pads built. We offer a wide variety of stock sizes, utilizing small size increments, providing you the best chance to dial in an exact fit, thus maximizing the performance of your Ritual pads. Elevate YOUR Game.

What is your guys fit guarantee? Tried a quick google search and didn’t find anything. 

Im still trying to narrow down my sizing, not being able to go and try on some is driving me crazy.