Optik 2 Chest protector

Big H

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I find the chest/ribs super protective - I had a couple guys this past weekend who caught me in areas that would have left a mark in my old Vaughn unit. The arms aren’t as mobile (as my 2x pro) or beefy like the chest - took a nice welt off of the upper biceps the first time I wore the unit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived the other day. The pants are perfect and so much more mobile than my Warrior ones. The C/A is a bit stiff but I haven’t had time to adjust anything and I’ve been told they come with the arm straps cranked down out of the box. Can’t wait to give this a shot at my next skate!

30C4D1CA-9A42-47BB-AB5C-ABDB4E72C25B.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, benner33 said:

Arrived the other day. The pants are perfect and so much more mobile than my Warrior ones. The C/A is a bit stiff but I haven’t had time to adjust anything and I’ve been told they come with the arm straps cranked down out of the box. Can’t wait to give this a shot at my next skate!

Sweet colors - thanks for the update. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 10:53 AM, benner33 said:

Any updates on how you like the chest? I’ve been thinking about getting one and probably getting the arms beefed up a bit. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 5:46 PM, mikemc620 said:

Any updates on how you like the chest? I’ve been thinking about getting one and probably getting the arms beefed up a bit. 

The arms are great no stingers at all but just enough to know you got hit (which I want). Took a while to break in and become flexible but it’s holding up very well and I’m super happy with it. 

Optik 2 is really, really nice. I was a huge fan of the Vaughn Ventus and I think I like this even more. Stock arms are definitely more beefed up than the regular Vaughn arms. Haven't had any stingers or anything anywhere. Honestly, unless you are like Pro level and just getting pounded on in practice, you probably don't need to add padding to this thing. I beer league at a medium/high level once or twice a week and this will be great for years to come, I can already tell. Oozes quality as does all the Brian's product line.

It did take like a month's worth of hockey for the arms to break in just right. I do not tuck and I did not end up having to modify this in any way like I usually do (adding straps/loops etc to tie to on the inside of the chest protector). I simply use a 120" lace and have that coming out of the front laces of the pants. I then loop it through the slit opening on the front flap (there is elastic there) and then wrap around my waist and tie in the front. Keeps the chest pad from rising up and keeps it perfectly placed. I also got some velcro loop the same width as the exposed velcro hook end on the collarbone protector and covered the exposed spot so that my jersey doesn't snag.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2020 at 8:35 PM, mikemc620 said:

Got my chest in today. Hopefully I can get it on the ice soon without it being a playoff game. The arms definitely seem to be stiff, I got extra padding added to the ribs/side and arms. Glove mobility seemed to be pretty good and didn’t have much interference with my mask. 

9911D91B-1EA9-4D2E-99D1-6474D1FEC577.thumb.jpeg.8f1e89f3b68f3bb8f22434303dee1489.jpeg

can you take pics of the added padding?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Highly considering one of these chests lately since my shield 2 is starting to break down. Any first hand experiences on how good it is at absorbing pucks? Had some bad past experiences with warrior chests shooting the rebounds about 3-4ft in front of me even if I sat back to absorb it. 

13 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Highly considering one of these chests lately since my shield 2 is starting to break down. Any first hand experiences on how good it is at absorbing pucks? Had some bad past experiences with warrior chests shooting the rebounds about 3-4ft in front of me even if I sat back to absorb it. 

What the model of warrior you have problem with ? I have rgt2 pro and I don’t have any problem at all !!

On 5/23/2021 at 10:34 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

It took a bit of time to break in but I rarely have issues now with pucks bouncing off of me. Just the occasional high shot that I didn’t see until the last second. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikemc620 said:

It took a bit of time to break in but I rarely have issues now with pucks bouncing off of me. Just the occasional high shot that I didn’t see until the last second. 

I get an absurd amount of ice time so thankfully break in won’t be an issue. Very glad to hear that rebound control isn’t terrible. The only reasons I’m considering this over hyperlite is I’m not a fan of the way hyperlite looks under a jersey and Optik 2 was my backup plan if I couldn’t find a beefed up shield 2 whereas 2x just didn’t feel all that comfortable