TGN Spec X Optik 2

TheGoalNet

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Standing or sitting??

Also, can you please answer my previous questions?

1. Do you have issues where you feel like your pads are too tall?

2. Does your knee fall off the stack?

@TheGoalNet im about 5'9.5" to be exact, and i wear size 33+1 gnetik 8.0s.... im ordering optik 2 max and was thinking to go 35+1... would this be to big? i was thinking with the massive s curve the pads have id be fine, any opinions? @Wrbsti15

On 1/4/2020 at 1:38 PM, Big2 said:

TGN has there been an update on these pads ??

Glove is the best I have used to date.

Blocker - Nailed the triple Anderson padding for fit. Optik 2 is an improvement over Optik 1. I think I might order a GNetik IV though still for anyone order custom sets? It's probably splitting hairs, but I like that sidewall better

Pads - The seal and balance in butterfly is a huge improvement over Optik 1 and I don't think these will break down as fast. Brian's truly took the market feedback and improved their product. The rebounds are solid, but they are not as hot as Bauer. That doesn't mean they are bad or anything, just use that as the gold standard. They are definitely hotter than EFlex or any traditional pad.

15 hours ago, Dero said:

@TheGoalNet im about 5'9.5" to be exact, and i wear size 33+1 gnetik 8.0s.... im ordering optik 2 max and was thinking to go 35+1... would this be to big? i was thinking with the massive s curve the pads have id be fine, any opinions? @Wrbsti15

That's very most likely going to be way too big on you. I'm 6'0 in a 33+1.5" base pad on a Brian's. I find there to be more of an advantage in getting a smaller pad rather than a bigger one. The S curve will also interfere more by design while moving around.

Legs are different sizes on everyone. It's definitely best to find a cloth measuring tape (or get one from the dollar store) and measure your ATK and compare it to the size guide on the Brian's website. If you're growing, go a half size to one size bigger (i.e. you can order a 33.5+1 in Brian's).

46 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

That's very most likely going to be way too big on you. I'm 6'0 in a 33+1.5" base pad on a Brian's. I find there to be more of an advantage in getting a smaller pad rather than a bigger one. The S curve will also interfere more by design while moving around.

Legs are different sizes on everyone. It's definitely best to find a cloth measuring tape (or get one from the dollar store) and measure your ATK and compare it to the size guide on the Brian's website. If you're growing, go a half size to one size bigger (i.e. you can order a 33.5+1 in Brian's).

@Dero - a decent shop who is helping with your custom order should be able to properly fit you over the phone. I am happy with all the support you are getting here, but unless there is a stock used set of gear you trying to buy and need fitting advise, go to a top Brian's dealer and ask them for support with the fitting.

Love my optik2. I have 2 sets, one stock TGC spec and my customs. My ATK is about 19.25” and I’m using 35+1.5 pads. Glove I did 1” deeper anchor t with reenforcement and skate lace pocket. Block is stock with lexan face and primo finger binding. Legs have full primo skate landing, gnetik4 knee cradle, stock breaks, slim offset toe bridge, and unused graphic zones removed. Rebound fly off the legs and blocker and the glove is a black hole where pucks go to die. Love this lineup a lot. 

2 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Love my optik2. I have 2 sets, one stock TGC spec and my customs. My ATK is about 19.25” and I’m using 35+1.5 pads. Glove I did 1” deeper anchor t with reenforcement and skate lace pocket. Block is stock with lexan face and primo finger binding. Legs have full primo skate landing, gnetik4 knee cradle, stock breaks, slim offset toe bridge, and unused graphic zones removed. Rebound fly off the legs and blocker and the glove is a black hole where pucks go to die. Love this lineup a lot. 

How do you like TGN Spec vs the standard?

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Griff1604 said:

@TheGoalNet - I’ve got a GNetik IV blocker that I really like the feel of, so should I stay away from the Anderson spec on the Optik 2?

My general rule of thumb is don't fix what isn't broken. If you want to tinker, I would suggest trying a single Anderson pad and not the 3X I get.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

My general rule of thumb is don't fix what isn't broken. If you want to tinker, I would suggest trying a single Anderson pad and not the 3X I get.

Ok, thank you - I want a much control as I can get so do you think I should leave it as stock with my hand as close to the board as possible? And I really like soft boots, how did you like the softest boot on your set?

Edit: Realized there is no extra soft boot option, you can ignore that part, I'm going with the soft option

Edited by Griff1604

• 1 year later...

I placed an order for new set of custom Brian’s a couple weeks ago. I’ve been rewatching your deep dive and review on the optik 2s in anticipation! My first set of Brian’s was sub pro 2s with a few custom specs, nothing major. I love them, after 6 years they’re still in great shape! I had pro stiffness above the knee as a spec, and I’m sure that’s why they’ve lasted. This next set, I didn’t hold back!

I met with one of the reps for a demo and we went out for beers afterwards to dial in the details. After a couple months of hashing out every little detail, I pulled the trigger. I’m not a big fan of the s curve, I prefer a flatter, taller pad. So I opted with the fly profile, but added pro stiffness from the knee up again - keeping with the stiffest pad they can make. I also went with an offset, reduced toe bridge. I’m used to the boot channel on my subs, so they’re replicating that on the optik 2s and covering all the lacing with primo. My knee strap will be going through the knee block, so it’s not as snug across the back of the knee. I use it more to keep the knee block from flexing out, since I use the upper calf strap pretty tightly. Removed the outter knee flap, boot strap and knee pad tabs.

For the blocker, I added 1x Anderson spec and more float to the cuff.

I went with a genetik 4 glove, I like the closure better. I also added more float to the cuff to the glove as well. I went with a floating double t since I don’t play in any heavy regulated leagues. Pro palm with extra break in, since I do skate with guys that have played at that level from time to time. 

That’s all aside from the custom graphics for the whole set and custom embroidery that will match across the set. I replaced all the mesh vents with matte royal blue, except for the upper calf strap. The upper calf strap will be all with with my name embroidered in maroon. All the embroidery will be a custom font including the “custom goal company” with the addition of a fleur de lis next to the maple leaf.

The production time was 10-14 week from when I ordered, so I’m anticipating I’ll receive them sometime in October. I can’t wait! 

BDA788CA-45D2-4C19-81C1-97A398C8196F.jpeg

764B0F1A-5773-4569-A133-F37452A1321A.jpeg

C31CF205-0CF3-45EE-83A5-E9DD08E0C2A3.jpeg

Edited by bluepaintgrind
Add images
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

These broke the internet, sick set

Have you used them on the ice yet? How are they for you?

Haha. Thanks! I couldn’t be happier with the way these turned out; Brian’s did a phenomenal job, as always! 

I’ve been able to get one mild pickup game and one more intense mini sheet session in them so far - I’m a chef, and the holiday schedule is not conducive for hockey unfortunately. Haha. But so far, I love them! I’m coming from Subzero Pro 2s, and the upgrade is out of this world! I honestly don’t even know where to begin, so I’ll go from the top down: love that I stiffened the thigh rise (like I had done in my sub pro 2s), makes the pad have more of the stiff, block-like, “Bauer” pad, if you will, which I like, but don’t like Bauer pads. Opening up the knee cradle by removing the knee flap internals and the elastic strap through the back of the knee block has been amazing at accommodating my warrior rx2 pro knee pads without interfering with movement, especially since I have the upper calf strap in. Love my subs boot channel and angle, so I had them replicate that on these, as well as reducing and offset the toe bridge, since that’s all I need. I also eliminated the boot strap/ attachment points, since I had long removed it from my subs. I had noticed on my subs that the cowlings of my skates had worn away the internal lacing that happens to peak out, so I had them cover it all with primo to avoid that from ever happening. And you obviously saw the graphics. Haha. 

The blocker has an Anderson spec - thanks to you! And I’m glad I did it; although I think more than one would be too much for me. Love the upgraded protection for the fingers too. 

The glove is a gnetik4 as I ended up liking the closure better. Since I was doing custom graphics, it wasn’t a hard switch for me. Pro palmed with extra break in and she’s a champ! Love the boa system, keeps me locked in. I’ve been know to have a nasty glove, so I’m excited to rob some people with the new one. 

04101308-5E94-4493-9985-62ADB9B7A8DE.jpeg

429A0648-8F42-42C7-9177-B6F47CED5993.jpeg

0E09D3C3-ACF8-41AE-94B9-8352D35C3F64.jpeg

3553A96B-4FF7-432D-9F89-134E1A60B152.jpeg

85F2B73A-4A2A-449F-ACD2-CBF4D0C81BD6.jpeg

18FD633E-1A36-4BF4-BB02-B43838D25BAE.jpeg

29140FE7-0CD4-4FB6-B325-EBB071EC7831.jpeg

• Like 2