2019/2020 Beer League Discussion

seagoal

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a "call-up" to the A league tonight. It'll be my second time playing for these guys. Hopefully I do alright. Our rink management is weird. I haven't played a game since the 22nd of December. 

Curious, anyone have experience with playing in a higher league one night and then playing in a lower league the following night? Because after tonight, I'm playing for my normal team in the B league, and not to knock my guys, but they are not the most defensively gifted. The A league team seems to take it a bit more serious. I kinda feel like I fell into the B league team, but feel like I could play the next level.

22 minutes ago, breaklouis35 said:

I got a "call-up" to the A league tonight. It'll be my second time playing for these guys. Hopefully I do alright. Our rink management is weird. I haven't played a game since the 22nd of December. 

Curious, anyone have experience with playing in a higher league one night and then playing in a lower league the following night? Because after tonight, I'm playing for my normal team in the B league, and not to knock my guys, but they are not the most defensively gifted. The A league team seems to take it a bit more serious. I kinda feel like I fell into the B league team, but feel like I could play the next level.

Really depends on how varying the skill levels are. Sounds like it's a pretty wide variance between divs. Where as a single division change here is only a slight adjustment in skill sets.

But honestly, good luck. I know full well the pain of playing in varying divisions and how it can really affect your game and how you play situations. I play far more reserved on the lower divisions as it's easier to react to shots and there is less faith in my defense to do what they're supposed to. May want to adjust appropriately.

One of the things that I think contributes to feeling like you play better in a higher league is that as you go up in level, the likelihood of "broken plays" seems to decrease. It is nice to be able to know that your defenseman is unlikely to flub the clearing pass directly to the opposing forward in front of your net, or that when someone is shooting it will 95% of the time go where you think. The consistency of the game at the higher level certainly helps get me into a rhythm more. 

Conversely, one of the most annoying things, to me, about lower level leagues is that you feel like you have to cover all possible outcomes of a play. Because who knows where your defense is going to be, or if the person looking high blocker and aiming high blocker is actually going to mess up his shot and hit it five-hole instead. 

7 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Wait - wassat?

Explain yourself, bruh!

Just some personal reasons that I have to take off a few months.  Hopefully not the full winter season but that is up in the air.  I am still running the team, making sure the financials are all taken care of but I will not be playing for a while.

20 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Really depends on how varying the skill levels are. Sounds like it's a pretty wide variance between divs. Where as a single division change here is only a slight adjustment in skill sets.

But honestly, good luck. I know full well the pain of playing in varying divisions and how it can really affect your game and how you play situations. I play far more reserved on the lower divisions as it's easier to react to shots and there is less faith in my defense to do what they're supposed to. May want to adjust appropriately.

In all honesty, the skill level compared is ridiculous. In the B league, there are some shooters I face that I think would do pretty well in the A league. Then after I play in the A league, I realize those B league shooters are at best, 4th liners (not that beer league has that many guys show up, ever) and that is not a knock on them. The A league players are just that much better, skill-wise. 

So, let me tell you about last night. I decided to play more aggressive to take away the shots, because the team I played against could really pick corners. Unfortunately, with being more aggressive, if there was a rebound it went straight to one of their guys who was not being covered and bang, right in the net. So, I thought to myself after a few goals like that, okay I'll play less aggressive. Which turned out to be a bad decision. Eventually, they just started picking corners. So I went back and forth between playing aggressive and deeper in my net. I felt embarrassed because I couldn't figure out this team, at all. So, we'll see if I get a call to play in that league again. I did feel good about my play, because I didn't give up, I just kept battling and trying my best to compete. A lot of the guys on the team I played with kept telling me not to blame it all on myself, but I'm a goalie, so.

19 hours ago, Teezle said:

One of the things that I think contributes to feeling like you play better in a higher league is that as you go up in level, the likelihood of "broken plays" seems to decrease. It is nice to be able to know that your defenseman is unlikely to flub the clearing pass directly to the opposing forward in front of your net, or that when someone is shooting it will 95% of the time go where you think. The consistency of the game at the higher level certainly helps get me into a rhythm more. 

Conversely, one of the most annoying things, to me, about lower level leagues is that you feel like you have to cover all possible outcomes of a play. Because who knows where your defense is going to be, or if the person looking high blocker and aiming high blocker is actually going to mess up his shot and hit it five-hole instead. 

I totally agree with you about "the consistency of the game at the higher level" helps. I think if I played a few more games at the higher level I would adjust to it and feel more comfortable about my play and just feel confident. Unfortunately, I've been bouncing back and forth between leagues all season. For my regular team in the B League, I was in a pretty good rhythm from the beginning of the season, up until I called up to play in the higher league. I thought to myself by playing in the higher level, I'll be able to shut down the "best" team in my current league. Turns out, they are much slower than I originally thought and I was off by a millisecond. Meaning, I was reacting quicker than the shot that was coming.

"if the person looking high blocker and aiming high blocker is actually going to mess up his shot and hit it five-hole instead." I know this feeling all to well. I usually just laugh those off. 

2 minutes ago, breaklouis35 said:

So, let me tell you about last night. I decided to play more aggressive to take away the shots, because the team I played against could really pick corners. Unfortunately, with being more aggressive, if there was a rebound it went straight to one of their guys who was not being covered and bang, right in the net. So, I thought to myself after a few goals like that, okay I'll play less aggressive. Which turned out to be a bad decision. Eventually, they just started picking corners. So I went back and forth between playing aggressive and deeper in my net. I felt embarrassed because I couldn't figure out this team, at all. So, we'll see if I get a call to play in that league again. I did feel good about my play, because I didn't give up, I just kept battling and trying my best to compete. A lot of the guys on the team I played with kept telling me not to blame it all on myself, but I'm a goalie, so.

Anyone that tells you a loss isn't your fault is a liar. We all know we are solely responsible for a win/loss. I mean, we're goalies, only the most impactful, important, and best looking position in all of sports. :datass:

Sounded like a rough ride. We've all been there but there's only one thing you need to take away from playing in the Beer Leagues:

"Win or Lose, We Booze"

19 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Anyone that tells you a loss isn't your fault is a liar. We all know we are solely responsible for a win/loss. I mean, we're goalies, only the most impactful, important, and best looking position in all of sports. :datass:

Sounded like a rough ride. We've all been there but there's only one thing you need to take away from playing in the Beer Leagues:

"Win or Lose, We Booze"

It was definitely a rough ride. At least I was on the ice, right?

Hahaha, I like that. Never heard that before. This is my second season in Beer League, so, I'm getting used that mantra! 

28 minutes ago, breaklouis35 said:

Two things that can really help with the first situation are: 1) trying to activate your stick as much as you can. Rebounds that deflect to the corners or in the air are a lot harder for a forward to quickly get a stick on than those that come straight off your pads. If you feel like you have extra time between the shot and the save in the B league, really try to get your stick on every low shot you can. 2) practice your T-pushes and shuffles. I know that skating drills suuuuuck, but they build good muscle memory and getting to your spot a split second faster will give you that extra moment to do #1 and put the puck out of harm's way more often.

1 hour ago, Teezle said:

Two things that can really help with the first situation are: 1) trying to activate your stick as much as you can. Rebounds that deflect to the corners or in the air are a lot harder for a forward to quickly get a stick on than those that come straight off your pads. If you feel like you have extra time between the shot and the save in the B league, really try to get your stick on every low shot you can. 2) practice your T-pushes and shuffles. I know that skating drills suuuuuck, but they build good muscle memory and getting to your spot a split second faster will give you that extra moment to do #1 and put the puck out of harm's way more often.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind tonight during my game. I always used to flick my stick up, which tended to back fire on me more than I'd like to admit when I was in high school. Now I just try to keep it on the ice and direct the puck into the corners, if I can. 

I don't really get a chance to practice my skating. But I'll make an effort tonight during my warm ups. Thank you for the tips, I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

How did everyone's games go recently?

After our team's play has dipped recently in these past few weeks, we were lucky enough to get some help from others teams, play a solid game like we know we can and clinched first place in the league (out of 8 teams) this past week with a big 7-3 victory.

With just one game left to go now in the regular season this weekend, I am happy we could clinch and secure top spot instead of leaving it to the final game. We could have dropped as low as 4th if things had gone a little differently this past week or so. 

It's interesting to jump in here. I coach prep hockey and do lessons on the side, so starting this season, I am not playing a usual men's league slate. Instead I play pickup on Saturday am's unless I have a lesson. I'm on a few lists of sub goalies, so I'll sub on some weeknights when I am able. I usually play B, C, or B/C, but I played A straight out of college and have played a few D level games when they are desperate. Can't agree more with the posts about differing skill levels. I actually like the higher level because it is more consistent and even though guys on the top two lines can usually pick their spots, it is more predictable and my defence is far better! I find I play a little more aggressive or conservative based on the guys I am facing. I usually can afford to be conservative and play deeper against a poorer team and it helps on backdoor plays, 2 on 1s my dumb defence can't play! Against better shooters with a good team D, I'll play more aggressively and give them less net to shoot at. Nice game this weekend, no bad goals and feeling good after. 

A couple games where I was all over the place performance wise. Beavers is my lower div team and Brewers are my upper div team.

Despite what the score against Matcon says, I played lights out in all three. The Matcon game had us up 3-2 going into the third, but they (being a better team), finally broke through and just racked up the score in the third.

CB2.png.d8bf53c1e7a4038b7af93724462b9829.pngCB1.png.3feb315294d96dd2c09bb2fe0db37c31.pngCB3.thumb.png.8b32bc420c3f47147d4e171cf72bf66b.png

More than halfway through my first beer league season, and it's been a struggle. I love the guys on my team, and I'm thrilled that they decided to roll the dice on a 40 year old with about 1 year of goal tending experience, but between the older average age compared to other teams, and short benches most nights, we have the fewest goals for in the league. In our first 9, we went 2-6-1. One game, I held the best team in the league - who also has the most goals for - to just 3 goals, and we lost 3-2. Argh!

In the past two weeks though, things have started to look up! We've had full line changes, and we beat a better team 5-2 (would have been 5-1 if I didn't pass it right to their star player towards the end of the game - lol!) Then last night, my wife brought my kids to watch. It was against a team that spanked us 7-1 last meeting, so I was nervous. I was also feeling tired and shitty, having played high calibre pick up on Tuesday and Wednesday, while fighting off a nagging cold.

We won 5-1! The guys were amazing playing in front of me! I didn't feel like I made flashy saves, because my team played in such a way that I was allowed to always be in position, and just let them hit me. Team manager/captain told me at the end "Rock solid! MVP tonight!" What a high!!!

Picture of me with my new set up, and 2 of my 3 good luck charms (the 3rd was taking the pics)

image.png.0f4f6cfcbf5a17294165626405757d72.png

One of me while my boys were pressing at the other end

image.png.b19e6c0845db0686a9b0e0bdde9d4e40.png

Recently got back into playing league play after only getting to play pickup for 4+ years MAYBE twice a month. First couple outings got smoked for a couples games 8 goals in back to back games. Got to play and get my timing back down and have been playing a lot better, and it helps that the teams I'm on can actually play and I'm not facing 35+ shots each time. Anyone playing in Colorado springs area?

won last night 7-1, and the only goal they had came with less than 2 mins left and was a shot from the point with no traffic and just beat me blocker aside, I was not amused. I did receive a beer from the other teams bench during a stoppage though so that's a plus.

9 hours ago, seagoal said:

@Lucky Pucker

Agree with coop...looking good.

But wait...what? You've been playing goalie for a yearish? Mind blown. 

How did I not know this? You're like a Regular on here.  One of us. 

I'm a terrible forummate.  I'm stunned.

You must have missed the cerimonial chants we yelled at him through our computer screens one night:

"One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!". It was creepy, but it needed to be done. After all, he's one of us now. It's a goalie thing.

Archived