Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
seagoal

2019/2020 Beer League Discussion

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea I assumed the actual home team's rooms were off limits.  Wasn't sure if the arena would allow a bunch of nobodies like us into even the main visitor locker rooms.  Awesome that they allow that.  

When I was a kid we played at GM Place (Rogers arena now) for a friendly between the two C teams in my municipality. They got us both to dress in the visitors room.

Kind of a bummer that MSG made you change in the aisle like no good scum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

When I was a kid we played at GM Place (Rogers arena now) for a friendly between the two C teams in my municipality. They got us both to dress in the visitors room.

Kind of a bummer that MSG made you change in the aisle like no good scum.

That was the Coliseum.  MSG gave us dressing rooms, not locker rooms.  Guys were getting dressed on leather couches and shit lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're supposed to be building a 7-8k seat arena around the corner from my house as part of a local community revitalization.  The arena part of the project is getting a lot of backlash so idk if that will definitely be built or not.  Last I remember hearing the hopes are to lure either of the Rangers or Islanders AHL affiliates from Connecticut.  I would imagine Stony Brook University would also use it as its home rink as well.  Anyways, I look forward to hopefully getting chances like @seagoal to play some more games in a real arena.

Another question for you, @seagoal, did you guys have to sell tickets for the games of the teams that play in those arenas?  Over here, whenever there are games at the Coliseum, the beer league games are piggybacked with an Islander game and we have to sell a certain amount of tickets per team for the Islanders game that night/day.  Do you guys have to do anything like that or are your games independent of the local team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@SaveByRichter35 I know at Rogers Arena here, you're able to rent the ice without any stipulations like selling tickets.

Just as long as it doesn't interfere with any other events that may be happening.

MSG is very strict with their ice, I've never heard any options of playing beer league games there.  Only reason I was able to play there was because of a Garden of Dreams Foundation fundraiser.  Coliseum will let you piggypack Islander games, idk if they'll let you rent the ice otherwise.  I have yet to hear about anyone doing that.  Barclays has done the same thing with the local leagues piggybacking Islander games as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

They're supposed to be building a 7-8k seat arena around the corner from my house as part of a local community revitalization.  The arena part of the project is getting a lot of backlash so idk if that will definitely be built or not.  Last I remember hearing the hopes are to lure either of the Rangers or Islanders AHL affiliates from Connecticut.  I would imagine Stony Brook University would also use it as its home rink as well.  Anyways, I look forward to hopefully getting chances like @seagoal to play some more games in a real arena.

Another question for you, @seagoal, did you guys have to sell tickets for the games of the teams that play in those arenas?  Over here, whenever there are games at the Coliseum, the beer league games are piggybacked with an Islander game and we have to sell a certain amount of tickets per team for the Islanders game that night/day.  Do you guys have to do anything like that or are your games independent of the local team?

Negative, no connections to the house WHL team for us playing there.  In either case, Everett or Seattle, we play on their off days and it's just a big empty arena.  We don't use either one in summer league because in both cases the ice goes away and the building becomes a very busy concert/convention arena.

The league I play in uses 7 different arenas in winter and 5 in summer.  These 2 are obviously the nicest, Everett being the best and most fun, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Negative, no connections to the house WHL team for us playing there.  In either case, Everett or Seattle, we play on their off days and it's just a big empty arena.  We don't use either one in summer league because in both cases the ice goes away and the building becomes a very busy concert/convention arena.

The league I play in uses 7 different arenas in winter and 5 in summer.  These 2 are obviously the nicest, Everett being the best and most fun, in my opinion.

7 full size arenas like those?  Or 5 regular recreational rinks and those two real arenas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

7 full size arenas like those?  Or 5 regular recreational rinks and those two real arenas?

Just the 2 big WHL arenas and 5 other local ice rinks with like a single bleacher and freezing cold locker rooms that smell like death...you know, real hockey rinks :)

We have 10 sheets of ice in the area, but not one (yet!) is in Seattle proper.

Edited by seagoal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Just the 2 big WHL arenas and 5 other local ice rinks with like a single bleacher and freezing cold locker rooms that smell like death...you know, real hockey rinks :)

Gotcha.  Still awesome that you even get to use those two arenas.  The rink in which my team exclusively plays now is such a dump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NHL training facility will have 3 sheets and actually in the city...about 1.5 miles from my house.   Plus, their arena will be in the city too, so that's an additional 4 sheets here which is needed badly .  Youth hockey is surging here and with any NHL expansion/relocation there is a boom in hockey overall.  I think Nevada had the largest growth of hockey players in any state last year if I remember correctly. 

There are 3 other sheets being built in the suburbs as well.  I am so freaking excited about all this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, seagoal said:

The NHL training facility will have 3 sheets and actually in the city...about 1.5 miles from my house.   Plus, their arena will be in the city too, so that's an additional 4 sheets here which is needed badly .  Youth hockey is surging here and with any NHL expansion/relocation there is a boom in hockey overall.  I think Nevada had the largest growth of hockey players in any state last year if I remember correctly. 

There are 3 other sheets being built in the suburbs as well.  I am so freaking excited about all this.

That's awesome.  We have several rinks around but most of them are average at best.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's awesome.  We have several rinks around but most of them are average at best.  

When I was living on Long Island, I remember playing at ten different arenas in adult league. In the East division I’d play at Sports Plus in Lake Grove, the Rinx in Hauppauge, Superior in Kings Park, and Dix Hills. In the West division I’d play at Iceworks in Syosset where the Islanders practiced, Cantiague Park in Hicksville, Freeport bubble, Newbridge in Bellmore, Parkwood in Great Neck and Iceland in New Hyde Park. I did play at the coliseum several times. My girlfriend played at all these plus Abe Stark on Coney Island in Brooklyn, Port Washington and some private outdoor facility on the north shore in Nassau County tucked away in a rich enclave. I guess they built a new facility in East Meadow in Eisenhower Park and refurbished Dix Hills after we moved in 2005. Never made it to the Long Beach rink. We lived in Huntington. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@seagoal My father-in-law is the lead tech for all the computer systems in the new arena.  He was watching the demolition and letting me know what was going on.

It's kind of funny because none of them were really interested in hockey until I entered the picture.  Now I get to hear some of the through the vine talk.

No real secrets revealed though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ken35 said:

@seagoal My father-in-law is the lead tech for all the computer systems in the new arena.  He was watching the demolition and letting me know what was going on.

It's kind of funny because none of them were really interested in hockey until I entered the picture.  Now I get to hear some of the through the vine talk.

No real secrets revealed though.

That's awesome.  I follow everything pretty closely.  It was cool to see the roof on stilts with nothing underneath.  What a massive undertaking that was. 

They are doubling the square footage of that arena by digging underground.  Eventually, the team will play underground, which is kinda awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, we've been following progress as well.  I have been informed that I WILL be changing teams as soon as Seattle gets a team.  Just waiting to see what my new jersey will look like. :P

In all honesty, I will likely get to see more games than I ever could here in Canada.  Just hoping they have a goalie I can get behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

When I was living on Long Island, I remember playing at ten different arenas in adult league. In the East division I’d play at Sports Plus in Lake Grove, the Rinx in Hauppauge, Superior in Kings Park, and Dix Hills. In the West division I’d play at Iceworks in Syosset where the Islanders practiced, Cantiague Park in Hicksville, Freeport bubble, Newbridge in Bellmore, Parkwood in Great Neck and Iceland in New Hyde Park. I did play at the coliseum several times. My girlfriend played at all these plus Abe Stark on Coney Island in Brooklyn, Port Washington and some private outdoor facility on the north shore in Nassau County tucked away in a rich enclave. I guess they built a new facility in East Meadow in Eisenhower Park and refurbished Dix Hills after we moved in 2005. Never made it to the Long Beach rink. We lived in Huntington. 

  • Sports Plus is gone. 
  • Rinx is still the same, best facility in Suffolk in my opinion. 
  • Superior has the best ice, slightly better than the Rinx, but the place is a dump.
  • Dix Hills is a dump.  The old rink is trash, the new rink is nice, both sheets of ice are garbage.  The place is constantly getting robbed because they don't have keys for the locker rooms. 
  • Iceworks is a dump but it had good ice when the Isles practiced there.  I haven't been there in several years. 
  • Cantiague was redone a few years ago.  It now has the boards/glass/benches from the Coliseum from pre renovation.  Aside from the place not having showers, I don't mind playing there.  I always thought the ice was decent enough.
  • Never played at Freeport
  • Its been a few years since I played at Newbridge as well.  The building wasn't bad, the ice was always pretty good except for near the zamboni doors where the ice just dropped off.  I know they renovated some of the locker rooms but I haven't been back since it was done.
  • Never played at Parkwood, never even heard of that one.
  • Iceland I only played once or twice back in 2013-14ish time frame, I don't really remember much about it.
  • The Eisenhower Park rink is where the Islanders currently practice.  Its by far the best facility on the Island.  Beautiful building, nice big locker rooms, ice is really good even in the summer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:
  • Dix Hills is a dump.  The old rink is trash, the new rink is nice, both sheets of ice are garbage. 

I practice at Dix Hills twice a week and respectfully disagree, i think both the sheets of ice there are really good, especially compared to the ice at the rinx. Id say its on par with superiors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Max27 said:

I practice at Dix Hills twice a week and respectfully disagree, i think both the sheets of ice there are really good, especially compared to the ice at the rinx. Id say its on par with superiors

I haven't played there since April.  However, I have been playing there since I started ice again back in 2012.  Their ice has always been absolute shit.  So unless they fixed something in the last 6 months then I am going to tell you that you must not know what good ice is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I haven't played there since April.  However, I have been playing there since I started ice again back in 2012.  Their ice has always been absolute shit.  So unless they fixed something in the last 6 months then I am going to tell you that you must not know what good ice is.  

I think the new rink there is the better one but i dont think the ice on either is particularly bad, i think the rinx has the worst ice of any rink personally. Maybe its cause ive played there a lot recently (twice a week since the start of Sept) and ive just gotten used to it, but i think Dix Hills and Superior have the best ice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Max27 said:

I think the new rink there is the better one but i dont think the ice on either is particularly bad, i think the rinx has the worst ice of any rink personally. Maybe its cause ive played there a lot recently (twice a week since the start of Sept) and ive just gotten used to it, but i think Dix Hills and Superior have the best ice

When I first started the old rink, while a dump, had really good ice.  The new rink always had shit ice because when they built it they installed an insufficient refrigeration system.  A few summers ago, 2 or 3, they did some repairs to the pipes under the old rink.  Ever since then, the old rink's ice has been ruined as well.  Dix Hills' ice is a soft, wet, slushy pile of shit.  Especially in the warm months.  Like I said, unless they did something in the last 6 months to fix their refrigeration problems the ice there is terrible.  The ice at the Rinx is infinitely better than Dix Hills.  Superior's ice is, well, superior.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

MSG is very strict with their ice, I've never heard any options of playing beer league games there.  Only reason I was able to play there was because of a Garden of Dreams Foundation fundraiser.  Coliseum will let you piggypack Islander games, idk if they'll let you rent the ice otherwise.  I have yet to hear about anyone doing that.  Barclays has done the same thing with the local leagues piggybacking Islander games as well.

Same thing here i sub on a team that plays at the Laval Rocket arena from the AHL and we get to play on the rocket ice time to time and it's a big empty arena but still it's nice to play there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cwarnar

holy straps!! I lost count.

20191020_193221.jpg

20191020_193158.jpg

Got my 2nd shutout in 4 games last night in the Silvertips arena. Pretty dominant performance by my team.  

It was fun I was in the arena the night before the see Everett beat Prince Albert 2-1 in OT.  Plus, I'm going back there tonight to sub in a game with many friends on both teams.  Super fun hockey times.

Edited by seagoal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@seagoal Strapzilla 2.0.... For the love of god, why???

Haha.

I appreciate seeing old timers like this still playing in what they know and oblivious to what cool ki.....old timers like us on here are doing with 3 straps and velcro and magnets.

But seriously... I counted 10: 2 thigh, 2 knee, 1 knee wrap, 3 calf, 2 boot.

Amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Haha.

I appreciate seeing old timers like this still playing in what they know and oblivious to what cool ki.....old timers like us on here are doing with 3 straps and velcro and magnets.

But seriously... I counted 10: 2 thigh, 2 knee, 1 knee wrap, 3 calf, 2 boot.

Amazing. 

I had a guy like that at a skate in the summer... I was demo'ing the 2X pros... Knee to the calf, tune fit calf and the bungee ties... His jaw hit the floor when he saw tkae 1 minute to put my pads on.

He then looked at this Reebok 7Ks like:

Image result for witchcraft meme

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...