Sign in to follow this  
seagoal

2019/2020 Beer League Discussion

14 hours ago, seagoal said:

@Lucky Pucker

Agree with coop...looking good.

But wait...what? You've been playing goalie for a yearish? Mind blown. 

How did I not know this? You're like a Regular on here.  One of us. 

I'm a terrible forummate.  I'm stunned.

Well, a yearish, give or take; when I “tried out” with them in a September pre-season, it was about a year and half since I started, but minus about 4 months with an MCL sprain. I think all told, I’ll be at about 2 years (minus MCL injury) come March/April. 

I appreciate the kindness, @seagoal (even if it was a moderately inebriated version of you - lol)! If I’m seen as a “Regular” on here, it is because I want to learn. Well, that, and I want to post smart-ass comments with relative anonymity - but mostly it’s the learning. As I posted in the “Introduce Yourself” thread, the 6 year old me that fell in love with goalie tending had to wait 35 years to get the chance to try it,  so I want to do all I can to make it fun and rewarding. This community has been so good to me, and I really appreciate being part of it. Cheers, folks!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, creasecollector said:

You must have missed the cerimonial chants we yelled at him through our computer screens one night:

"One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!". It was creepy, but it needed to be done. After all, he's one of us now. It's a goalie thing.

It wouldn’t have been as creepy if the old man across the street wasn’t also yelling it at me (though I’m pretty sure he’s NOT a goalie, so I don’t know what “US” he’s referring to... 🤔)

so when can I expect my “One of Us” T-shirt ...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Well, a yearish, give or take; when I “tried out” with them in a September pre-season, it was about a year and half since I started, but minus about 4 months with an MCL sprain. I think all told, I’ll be at about 2 years (minus MCL injury) come March/April. 

I appreciate the kindness, @seagoal (even if it was a moderately inebriated version of you - lol)! If I’m seen as a “Regular” on here, it is because I want to learn. Well, that, and I want to post smart-ass comments with relative anonymity - but mostly it’s the learning. As I posted in the “Introduce Yourself” thread, the 6 year old me that fell in love with goalie tending had to wait 35 years to get the chance to try it,  so I want to do all I can to make it fun and rewarding. This community has been so good to me, and I really appreciate being part of it. Cheers, folks!

Image result for care bear gif"

On 1/8/2020 at 12:17 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Just some personal reasons that I have to take off a few months.  Hopefully not the full winter season but that is up in the air.  I am still running the team, making sure the financials are all taken care of but I will not be playing for a while.

Sounds like you’re playing “Be a GM” mode in NHL 20 

Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, one for one? 

• Like 1

Just now, Chenner29 said:

Sounds like you’re playing “Be a GM” more in NHL 20 

Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, one for one? 

I really am, its sad.  I still got the team paid up by the 4th game in order to get the $300 discount.  I am still coordinating who is playing every week and contacting the appropriate number of fill ins...as well as getting their money through paypal or venmo.  It never ends.

9 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I really am, its sad.  I still got the team paid up by the 4th game in order to get the $300 discount.  I am still coordinating who is playing every week and contacting the appropriate number of fill ins...as well as getting their money through paypal or venmo.  It never ends.

Image result for office overwhelmed"Image result for office overwhelmed"

Edited by RichMan
  • Haha 1

Have a technique question for the Beer league goalies.  Been going through a bit of a "funk" where I'm giving up goals or scoring chances on far side goals/scoring chances.  Does anyone have any tip or tricks on this play?  First time in a while that I've struggled with this and need to reset or look at it differently.  Any feedback is appreciated!

EDIT - just to elaborate I'm hugging the post a bit too much and therefore giving up far side goals

Edited by GoalieNut

42 minutes ago, GoalieNut said:

Have a technique question for the Beer league goalies.  Been going through a bit of a "funk" where I'm giving up goals or scoring chances on far side goals/scoring chances.  Does anyone have any tip or tricks on this play?  First time in a while that I've struggled with this and need to reset or look at it differently.  Any feedback is appreciated!

EDIT - just to elaborate I'm hugging the post a bit too much and therefore giving up far side goals

Is the puck coming out from behind the goal line before being shot? Or is it coming down on the wings and then sniping far side?

40 minutes ago, GoalieNut said:

Adjust your depth and move out more. Even if you aren't perfectly sqaure, just being out far enough would takeaway the far side part of the net. 

If someone is coming down the wing and they have no pass option and the think they are going to shoot... be aggresive. I hope this helps.

15 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Is the puck coming out from behind the goal line before being shot? Or is it coming down on the wings and then sniping far side?

Coming down the wing and sniping far side.

1 hour ago, GoalieNut said:

This may not apply to you, but when I would get into a funk with my angles, I was doing a thing where I would be out of my net and moving with the play while in the other end.  Usually it was either laziness or trying to compensate for weirdly bad defensive play and breakaways coming out of nowhere.  But getting myself zeroed in again and always retreating back to the goal line let me make sure I was more bang on with my angles by challenging as the play came up ice.

You can also just do a refresher with the ice/board landmarks for angles.  Goal line, faceoff dot, blue line on boards, hash marks on inside of faceoff circle, center ice then across the other side to far post.  That helped me to center myself too (pun intended).

9 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

This may not apply to you, but when I would get into a funk with my angles, I was doing a thing where I would be out of my net and moving with the play while in the other end.  Usually it was either laziness or trying to compensate for weirdly bad defensive play and breakaways coming out of nowhere.  But getting myself zeroed in again and always retreating back to the goal line let me make sure I was more bang on with my angles by challenging as the play came up ice.

You can also just do a refresher with the ice/board landmarks for angles.  Goal line, faceoff dot, blue line on boards, hash marks on inside of faceoff circle, center ice then across the other side to far post.  That helped me to center myself too (pun intended).

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Regarding your point about ice/board landmarks for angles - is there a good youtube video or online resources on this?  

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, GoalieNut said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Regarding your point about ice/board landmarks for angles - is there a good youtube video or online resources on this?  

Thanks again.

I just googled this one, I think it gets the message across. 

20200129_130859.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I just googled this one, I think it gets the message across. 

20200129_130859.jpg

Other than 3 and 9, the other markers have little relevance since the puck is in constant movement. I dropped this method a long time ago and started using my posts as my markers.

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Other than 3 and 9, the other markers have little relevance since the puck is in constant movement. I dropped this method a long time ago and started using my posts as my markers.

I agree that diagram has a few more than I would tend to use, but another rut I used to find myself in was trying to use too many micro movements.  So if the puck is moving across the zone, I'd be doing many quick little shuffles, and I'd get caught when the player would eventually shoot and beat me fivehole because I was never really set. 

I found having at least a few points of reference helped so I could use fewer discrete movements to move around the ice.  It's not one to one like shuffle from point 7 to point 6 and don't move if the puck is in between there, but it did help to recognize that a smaller movement on our part covers the same longer movement of a player further out.

Not sure if that entirely got the point across, but I also don't recommend strict adherence to landmarks like this.  For me it's more of a tool to center myself during warmups or in between periods.  It's more of the feeling of being in that position that gives you confidence of your angle, you don't want to be looking for the line on the boards while a guy is set to shoot, nor do you want to hit 11 points in a simple positioning warmup :P

When the play is coming towards me in the neutral zone, I will tap on each of the posts with the shaft of my stick and my glove as a quick reminder to myself of "I'm centered, now come out and attack the angle"

One of the other things I learned from some goalie clinics, and have tried to incorporate into my game, is to keep a narrower stance when moving laterally/tracking the shooter moving around the zone with the puck. It really helps you to not get "stuck" and then you transition to a wider/shot-ready stance when the shot is about to come.

9 hours ago, GoalieNut said:

I tap off of the post on the same side that the play is coming down before telescoping to cut down the angles. Specifically, I'll maintain contact on the post with the edge of my glove for as long as possible, while moving towards the puck; I figure I don't need to be any closer to the short-side post than that, because if I can touch the post with the edge of my glove I can always make the save, so that helps me maximize my coverage on the far-side.

And, so far as I can tell, it works. When I do get burned far-side it's almost always on a play that's moved out of the corner (that I didn't respond to quickly enough), or one that moved across the top of my crease (and I overcommitted to the movement, putting myself out of position).

The rest of the time is just me sucking, and not making the save when I should have. XD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed on all the above post tap-off comments.  I started tapping off after reading the free ebook Keeks put out on the web and GSBB years ago.  It made such a huge difference in my gameplay over time.  Never trust visuals, every rink is different.  When I am helping explain goaltending to newbies, I tell them, "be a Roomba robot, always go back to your home", which is centered on the goal line and back on the crossbar (when relaxed).  I tap off my glove and stick on every play where the offense is coming my way, depending on how quickly the situation is going to be critical .  Always tap off when possible.  You can re-adjust your angles mid-play at times, or as mentioned, touching the post as long as possible.  It amazes me now to see now, when I see other goalies play without tapping off, and see why I gave up those goals all the time.  You'd have to be a telepath to be on angle while starting plays out at the top of the crease or, even more sad, waiting for the next play in between the hash marks, way out there.  Stay home and double-tap.  Face off on your right?  Centered, double-tap, keep stick on right post while turning your body to center on the faceoff dot, then telescope out to your depth needed.  Break away coming fast down the left side?  Centered on the goal line, double-tap while centering the puck on your center (belly button or your groin if you need to think about it, but shouldn't have to think about this after a while..), telescope out aggressively, and then go search for a thread about breakaways. 

Double-tap. 

Wait so people still tap the posts???!!?!??!  Its not just me?!!!!!!??  I cannot tell you the last time I saw a goalie do that on the opposite end of the ice from me.

• Like 1

I love that my scoreboards have a shot counter and that half of the scorekeepers make a ok attempt at keeping an accurate shot count.

But then we have people that just don't keep track or they do this: 

Untitled.png.6e811eb7dabe3193a35aa328e9bb65d9.png

I mean, we were outshot by a good margin, but not that high lol.

Edited by coopaloop1234

Hello,

My team has had two games in the past five days and we have another tomorrow night. The last two games we lost, 6-3 and 5-4. I also missed the game before that due to being at a wedding out of the country.

I think I played pretty well in the 6-3 game, considering we only had 8 skaters and were playing the first place team. I had 59 saves and had a lot of fun. I should've have saved the first goal, guy shot to my right pad and I played it with my glove instead of letting it hit my pad and basically gave it straight to one of their wingers coming down (uncovered by my defenseman) and he blew it right past me. I'm still getting used to this glove too. 

Last night's game was an okay effort. My team dislikes playing this team because the guys are a bunch of turds and sell penalties, clappers from anywhere and everywhere, most of the time missing the net, and crash the net super hard, which is not fun for me. They also slash constantly, which somehow goes undetected by the refs. My team was not trying at all in the first period, no jump. I figured they would want to get revenge for the last time we played this team. First goal was weird. Guy took a shot from the slot, I butterfly, puck is blocked by my someone, goes to my left and I'm getting up and then they shoot immediately and I missed it by a very small margin. Second and third goals were top corner snipes, right over my shoulder. I decided to be more patient throughout the game and ended up making 10 saves without ever leaving my feet.

Fourth goal...sheesh. Clean shot from the right circle to the five hole, use my stick to direct it into the left corner, so my arm is moving in that direction, except, the puck somehow stuck to the toe of my blade and finally unstuck itself and rolled into the net. The strangest thing. The next goal was a 2-on-1. My d-man went to the guy who had possession of the puck, he passed it, went into the guy's skate and I was already sliding across in my butterfly, he got it to his stick and instead of shooting, he passed it back, because my d-man went to go cover the second passer, and I slide back and felt the puck tip my glove, but it still ended up in the net.

Miraculously, my team decided to step up in the end of the 2nd and 3rd period and got the game within 1 goal. I stopped three different breakaways in the last period to try and keep my team in the game. Almost tied it up with a minute left, but we hit the post. I had 38 saves when all was said and done.

I was pretty upset with how our team played as a whole. I know this is beer league, but I would like to end the season with a winning record, even if it's 10-8-0. I've been on one winning team in my life and want to try my best and get my team as far as we can in the playoffs. Am I wrong for feeling this way? Do I take it too seriously and should I just chill out? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I'm playing much better this year, out of the 13 games I've played 8 of them I left with a 90+ save percentage, where as last year, I think I had 1 or 2 games with a 90+ save percentage.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but when I play certain teams I always end up thinking we aren't going to win and 90% of the time, we don't win. No matter how well I play. But there are other teams who are much better than us and I feel so confident in myself and I end up stealing the game for our team. My confidence has been all over the place this season and I wish it was more consistent. I've gone from saying to myself, "Don't let this guy score/I'm not going to let them score" to "I believe that I'm going to make the next save/Keep making saves" which has helped a lot.

Any help is appreciated and thanks for reading my super long and boring post about a beer league hockey goalie who plays for fun.